Nitecore MT10A Safety

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I've been considering adding the Nitecore MT10A to my collection by upon reading the manufacturer specifications I'm having second thoughts. With an AA NiMH cell the light appears to be a respectable EDC light with a good UI and some cool features. With a lithium 14500, the thing is a scary hot rod. With a lithium battery they claim that the HI setting pushes 500 lumens and turbo almost TWICE that!!! In addition to questioning the utility of this (and corresponding low runtimes) I'm a bit worried about safety.

Nitecore seems to encourage the use of IMR chemistry but doesn't require it. Their compatibility chart (which incorrectly identifies LiFEPO4 as a primary cell) lists both IMR and (generically) "Rechargeable LiIon" as compatible. A 14500 isn't a very large battery, to illuminate at ~1000 lumens you would have to pull an awful lot of current. Would this thing trip the protection circuit on a protected LiCO battery? Worse, if someone got ahold of an unprotected LiCO 14500, would it cause unexpected venting with flame if you were to run it in Turbo (even with step down)?

Nitecore doesn't claim any special circuitry to drop the battery current under particular circumstances (and I'm not even sure how they would do that since they seem to identify the battery by it's resting voltage). They, more or less, say that if the batter dimensions are correct, just drop in any old cell. This seems crazy.

Thoughts?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I know this isn't answering your question very well, but I would highly recommend the Nitecore MH20! Even though ut uses an 18650, it can run 2 hours on 1,000 lumens. It overall looks like a great choice, especially for the size!

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I have the MT10A with a 14500 IMR cell unprotected. I ran four tests (two cells) on HIGH for the full runtime. It got warm/hot but was manageable. The runtime was 25 minutes on all tests. Amazing little light.

The light has a voltmeter and you can check your cell voltage any time. Once it gets to 3.6v expect it to drop off rapidly. Stop there to prevent the cell suffering damage.

I plan to use mine with an L91 or Eneloop day-to-day utility. That way if I leave it on and forget there's no harm done. I have more powerful lights at home when I need them.

I will run 14500 IMR in the MT10A on vacation where use is infrequent (to/from car) but I need versatility (distance!) in a small package (carry on).

andrewnewman

Enlightened
According to this review: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42023

The current is 3.45A on turbo with an IMR 14500. After 3 minutes, there is a step down. That does not sound dangerous to me.

Sorry but 3.45A for an unprotected 14500 ICR works out to over 5C. I never said I was worried about running an IMR cell in the light but merely that Nitecore claims *any* 14500 works in the light. Is 3.45A from an ICR cell rated at 700mAH really OK. As I said, I understand that this is no big deal for an IMR cell.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
According to this review: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42023

The current is 3.45A on turbo with an IMR 14500. After 3 minutes, there is a step down. That does not sound dangerous to me.

And notice that once the light hits 3.6v it switches to a low current mode as it assumes a different battery chemistry. No wonder after clicking on/off at 3.5v with an IMR the light loses almost all its white light modes! That explains what I experienced first hand.

Also - if you're willing to put an $11 SAFT 14500 2600mAh primary in the light you'll get a monster runtime of 11 hours at 86 lumens (max output). **UPDATE** The SAFT website says max draw for their 14500 as 50mA! So not recommended in the MT10A: http://www.saftbatteries.com/force_download/LS14500.pdf

Last edited: