Suggestions for a single AAA light based on these criteria?

SAK

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have been carrying my ARC-AAA LE for a decade and I think it is time to treat myself to an upgrade.

I have been out of the flashlight loop for a while and would appreciate any suggestions for a new light.

Here are things that are important / not important to me:

- It will almost always be with my keys so it needs to have a sturdy and reliable way to connect to a key ring.

- It will spend many hours/days in my pocket with keys and other stuff so the lens/led should be able to withstand scratching.

- Will be important that it can't accidentally turn on while in pocket.

- It will definitely spend some time clipped to a ball cap for use as a headlight so it has to have a reversible clip that will not come off or get lost. (That was my only complaint about my ARC-AAA - the clips would come off and get lost.)

- I would prefer it to be white without a tint – especially to not have a purplish or greenish tint.

- Small size is important.

- Well regulated would be great. (Maybe that isn't an issue any more?) I do not need any warning before it goes dead.

====

-- I will not be using a rechargeable battery.

-- Most of the time I would like to use alkalines; with an occasional lithium for cold camping trips.

-- It does not need to be able to tailstand.

-- Cost is not a big issue. If needed, I don't mind spending money to get a decent light since I will keep it for a long time.

As far as output goes, I am not too picky. My ARC does not have adjustable output levels. I unfortunately can't remember what it is rated at, but it works good for walking around in the dark or finding things and it also works OK for reading yet the battery lasts a good long time. That is all I really need; however, it would be a plus if it had a higher mode for brief non-standard situations.

Thanks for any help!

SAK

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always the old reliable standby, the Streamlight Microstream. It delivers 35 lumens of very nice white light, has the double clip, has a rear forward clicky that will not easily turn on by itself, and is all around just a very nice light. It currently is selling for around $15. It has a 2.5 hour run time on one AAA alkaline cell, with about double that with a lithium primary. I have carried one as my primary or backup EDC for years without any problems,

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sounds like Streamlight had you in mind SAK when they made the microstream.

Nothing fancy. Just a plain ole on/off Streamlight C4 path lighter.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the well respected Thrunite Ti3 in neutral white...fits all your wants/needs list. It can be obtained in stainless steel, titanium as well as traditional aluminum. It also has that 120 Lumen high setting that is hard to beat.

Now bykfixer...where did you get that mini Rayovac Indestructable AAA keychain light? Having the 2AA, that is pretty neat to see.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the microstream for about the last 2 years as my edc and just clip it to my right small jeans pocket as well as carrying the leatherman micra that both fit into it nicely and are both out of the way until needed. I was gonna add a pic but it seems i do not have the permissions needed.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop Tool, Maratac
IMG_9837.JPG

Thrunite TiS, Maratac, Olight i3s
IMG_8750.JPG

All the reversed clips work on a hat, and will all pop off unless youre careful not to operate the twist one handed while mounted on a hat, unless you superglue the clip in position.

We need to know more about what brightness levels your light had, or that you want now

imo the Olight i3s is by far the best buy of the bunch. It is also the lowest weight. Lots more detail in my signature links

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There is also the well respected Thrunite Ti3 in neutral white...fits all your wants/needs list. It can be obtained in stainless steel, titanium as well as traditional aluminum. It also has that 120 Lumen high setting that is hard to beat.

Now bykfixer...where did you get that mini Rayovac Indestructable AAA keychain light? Having the 2AA, that is pretty neat to see.

Check out aisle at my local home depot.
That's the only photo I had of the microstream.

SAK

Newly Enlightened
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions!

Today my new Maratac AAA Rev 3 (aluminum) arrived.

This is a cool looking little light.

COMPARISONS

The Maratac is 0.17" shorter and has a diameter about 0.060" larger than the ARC so no significant difference here.

THE QUESTIONABLE
- The ARC does not have a lens to get scratched in my pocket but the Maratac does. We will see how the lens cooperates keys and other pocket stuff.

- The Maratac split ring connection point is not as solid as on the ARC. I am hoping the Maratac will not separate from my key ring.

- The Maratac's glow-in-the-dark lens ring glow seems pretty dim and short-lived (is that typical?). This doesn't really matter to me, I was just curious.

THE GOOD
- Its Low setting is lower than my ARC AAA LE and the Medium is quite a bit higher than the ARC. Maratac Hi is amazing for a AAA. It's nice to have options. (I would have preferred a L-M-H interface but the M-L-H will work.)

- The tint of the Maratac is MUCH nicer.

- The Maratac's clip looks like it will be more secure that the ARC's.

I look forward to trying this out!

Thanks again everyone. I checked out ALL of your suggestions and decided to start with the Maratac.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today my new Maratac AAA Rev 3 (aluminum) arrived.

Like a Brother unto my own heart, Congratulations!

a couple of carry options Ive tried, that incorporate a quickl release feature
IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

my current iteration
IMG_1863.JPG

why I like to reverse my pocket clip
IMG_9829.JPG

note the Worm with Nichia and the Tool with Nichia will lego with your Maratac
IMG_9837.JPG