$30 Lux-Pro LP-630 impressions

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So last night I used my LP -360 to shine on some chaps pushing my neighbors truck towards a roll back after dark. Scared the poor driver/repo man into nearly leaving without the truck....

It's a light I used a lot prior to joining CPF as it was more pocket friendly than the Coast HP 7. And frankly...imo a better flashlight.
I used it on night shift duty for several weeks as my regular light, which was used daily and often. It still has the original cells and burns brightly enough to (like I said) scare the crap outta some poor guy last night.

^^ vs a Strion LED and incan 6P

It runs off 4 (supplied) aaa batteries and comes in a 'try me' clamshell package from Lowes. (Note: you can buy them at the Lux-Pro site w/$0 shipping over $25) If you buy it at Lowes buy the 3rd one from the front. Likely not tried out.

It will take lithiums and eneloops ok as well.

The well made battery pack is fool proof and has plated contacts vs other non coated contacts of less well built....junk we'll say.

^^ easy to tell which way it goes.

The body is a hard annodized coated alluminum with a rubberized sleeve over the grip area, which causes this (near) bicycle handle bar sized tube to provide you with max grip...even with wet hands. It comes with a lanyard for times you lose your grip. It's a comfy round nylon lanyard with the Lux-Pro logo on the fastener.

The 4 cells counter balance the glass lens which is where the focus comes from.

^^ the lens is nice
No reflector here, just magnification.

I forget the numbers...but it's like 275+ lumens on high, about what appears to be buck 50 on low and hi-strobe is 3rd. No firefly mode on this one.
But on low you can slide the head to flood and diffuse all those extra candelas.

It's a reverse clicky. Once on you can momentary through the cycles.
You get plenty of time to momentary through the cycles yet it returns to high in less than 3 seconds.

The switch is gentle but not mushy. It feels solid yet offers little resistance. It is a non protruding switch yet the body size allows easy press with thumb or finger.

No dedicated roll away feature. But the spacing of the letters in Lux-Pro in a rubberized ring around the head will keep it from rolling off a table. Once it rolls to a gap between the protruding words it stops. Nice touch as it allows the look of a round light as well.

It tail stands great without the easy to remove loop'd lanyard.

^^ with lanyard.

Later I'll drill a second hole next to the supplied hole in order to have a lanyard loop without it passing the lip so as to provide wobble free tailstand too.

^^ easy enough to do.

The focus head stays put. No lock needed. I suppose the o-ring(s) causes that. You pull the head out to spot, set it head down and it stays. You push down and you hear a slight 'phfft' sound. There be vacuum in that there head. Another nice touch.

It feels a bit more weighty than the pictured Strion, but not as weighty as the 6P.

This things beats the pants off a store bought Coast HP 7 imo. Better price, smaller/lighter body, better coating, better beam, better sealed head system, better run time, better value. Unless you absolutely have to have momentary on this one is the way to go.
With it's plated parts, rubberized body and type 3 coating there are some fine touches to this thing.
If it were not so gentle looking I'd think Lux-Pro confered with PK Labs before building this thing. And the tail cap has 'Malkoff cool' all over it.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: $30 Lux-Pro LP-360 impressions

Beam shots.
Keep in mind the batteries are supplied type with a few hours of use.
At some point I'll put in fresh and do some throw pix. For now, these get the point across about the beam characteristics in general.

Wall watchers, tint snobs and pixel counters stop reading here please.

Instead of the usual pix of fixed beams with spot vs spill, throw vs flood and all that...this being an adjustable beam means taking a different approach.

This light has an excellent optic regarding rings, holes and junk in the beam. Tint is cool with a pinch of neutral. No green, blue, or yellow.

My white balance was making some pix look blue, but that is not the case in real life.
On low the tint turns a bit on the gray side. But I'd suppose PWM is used..though it did not show while looking at beams through a camera lens. So it must be pretty quick pulses.

^^ not the throw champ by any means.
At about 500' the spot in real life causes enough light to see a person by that garage in the distance...not ID them. But my eyes cannot ID a person in daytime from that far.

This lights charm is putting out pretty even lighting up to a couple hundred feet. Lux-Pro seemed to choose quality over quantity in output.

^^ the doghouse is about 175' away.

But in the next set check out the fairly even amount of light spot to flood.

^^ max spot

^^ about 50/50

^^ about 95% flood.

The wall shots will show no rings, holes or junk. Just a yellow/red/blue rainbow at the fringes of the cornea on max flood. Pix are taken about 8' from the wall.

^^ spot...note there's some useable spill.

^^ about 50/50

^^ full flood.
The rainbow is slightly visible to the right. But overall, unless you look for it....not distracting.

No matter where you are in adjusting the beam you see what you see in the pix.

According to metadata all pix were shot at about 1/11th second.

I bought several of the smaller LP-470 in the summer and gave all but 2 away. They were a big hit on the construction site at night.

Last edited:

Muzzleblast

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the review. I've been looking at zoomies. Your review is helpful. I'll definitely check these at at my next trip to Lowes.
MB

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ cool
You may also consider the smaller version...the 470. Not quite as bright with 3 aaa's but for $15 it too is well built like the 630 for half the cost.

JTS-M14

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the cool review.At this price I might get a couple and some rechargeable batteries.:grin2:

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
Imo the lp 600 and the focusable version the stated 630, are fantastic flashlights for the cost. If cost is time X money, then store available lights under $30 are extremely easy to get. Luxpro is one of the best companies for being easy to get and deal with. My lp630/600 have both been excellent in reliability and durability. The lower end lenses and reflector are not the best, and the driver/LED technology is outdated, but the form factor, size and ease of use are ideal.

Last edited:

lund1660

Newly Enlightened
I put a xpl-hi into my lp600, it's very bright, had to take a dremal to the white plastic led spacer to enlarge it.

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
^^ agreed.
Runtime for aaa lights aint bad either imo.

Update: after daily use for 7 months, my luxpro lp600 failed me. Clicked the button, and it faltered. I guess improper maintenance affect the flashlight. I cleaned and reloaded it, seems none the less the spring loaded contact on the tailcap switch has too much play. Proving once again lights resistant to vibration don't exist for cheap. But it works now, I put some cotton around it to help keep it centered, granted the cotton could separate the contact, but it also stops the battery canister from rattling around and causing the play in the tail contact to jump . Now it seems it will work mostly through vibration. Has not faltered since, yet I have replaced it as my EDC by the coast hp7 I scored for $30. Yet the lp630 ashperic focusing still works but the focus doesn't work nearly as well as the coast, plus, the coast has an excellent beam pattern.

Latest posts