Elzetta Flashlights - Personal Experiences with their Durability?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody! I've been looking at Elzetta flashlights for quite a while now, and even have one myself. I was just wondering, however, what is your guys' experience with these lights with regard to their durability? I've seen videos on YouTube, but I want to know how your guys' have held up. Any feedback is appreciated!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you read the Elzetta general thread posts starting at number 1976? I haven't abused mine, but they've fallen onto hard wood and tile floors countless times.

Flashatron

Banned
I have the Elzetta Bravo AVS 650 lumen. While working at the CERN project I dropped it a little over 200 feet onto reinforced concrete. Then it bounced into a 6 foot water drainage pit. It was still on when I drained the pit after lunch to retrieve it. I have a small nick on the side of it. Other than that it still works perfectly.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Elzetta Bravo AVS 650 lumen. While working at the CERN project I dropped it a little over 200 feet onto reinforced concrete. Then it bounced into a 6 foot water drainage pit. It was still on when I drained the pit after lunch to retrieve it. I have a small nick on the side of it. Other than that it still works perfectly.

Oh jeez! Talk about durability. Was it a straight out drop?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I threw my Alpha under handed 'knife throw' style against a tree (switch first) to turn it on...then back off.

Took a while and the tree didn't like it none too much.
Other than the switch cover getting nicked it was un-blemished.

Pocket carried it for months with nail clippers, coins and a knife with no finish wearing off. Several scratches, but no metal showing.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I threw my Alpha under handed 'knife throw' style against a tree (switch first) to turn it on...then back off.

Took a while and the tree didn't like it none too much.
Other than the switch cover getting nicked it was un-blemished.

Pocket carried it for months with nail clippers, coins and a knife with no finish wearing off. Several scratches, but no metal showing.

That's cool...feel kinda sorry for the switch though haha!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Eh, the hi/lo tail flickers. So I could either send it back to be fixed or toss it at a tree a few dozen times...

Some of the early editions of the Alpha hi/lo tail cap were plagued with a flicker. I bought a 2nd one, made sure it worked proper then replaced it in the package and stashed it for a day when this one plays out.

As a rule I do not abuse my tools. But in this case I figured that was a torture test that had never been done, so why not use the light that flickers to do it?

And like I said...the tree got the worse end of the deal. Light still flickers just fine.

Btw, newer ones don't flicker.

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened

I guess that answers my question about why they cost so much :)

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I thought flashlights were for illumination. I saw them driving nails in a video. My hammer works much better.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Hi everybody! I've been looking at Elzetta flashlights for quite a while now, and even have one myself. I was just wondering, however, what is your guys' experience with these lights with regard to their durability? I've seen videos on YouTube, but I want to know how your guys' have held up. Any feedback is appreciated!

I've personally dropped my Bravo AVS countless times into concrete and other hard surfaces. Just a little while ago I was trail running and it flew out of my gym shorts and landed lens first right on a pointy rock. There is a tiny little blemish on the lens but that's it. I 100% expected it to crack or something. It's a tough lil guy

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Bravo with the AVS head and high-low tailcap that has been mounted on my 20ga since new. Through several hundred rounds it has never faulted.

delus

Newly Enlightened
I was a very early adopter of the elzetta bravo. I had had previous problems with lights in the $50 range that had impressive specs, but wouldn't last a month, and wanted better.
At that time I got extremely lucky to arrive on this forum at just about the exact moment the Elzetta Bravo was being released to the public. My fourth post was over six years ago, 8/25/13, in the "Industry's Best Kept Secret" thread.
At this time I would like to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU to the owners and administrators of this magnificent Candle Power Forum! You put me and Elzetta together..
Initially there was some resistance to the price point, $200 seemed sky-high. But I figured if it lasts longer than three of the cheaper lights... go for it. I got a Bravo engraved with my name, Hi/Lo switch, smooth bezel, and 50 batteries, the flood lens was not yet available.

I have carried that thing every day ever since, feel naked without it. Two or three times a year I leave the house forgetting my phone, but NEVER leave without Elzie.
At first I was still scared by my earlier experiences, and babied the light a little, but it didn't take long before it was a hammer in my eyes. Over the years I have actually used it for some light hammering a few times. (into drywall)
One idiot dropped it off a ladder into a five gallon bucket of latex paint. I didn't even think about it possibly being damaged. I made him fish it out, then hosed it off and put it back in my pocket. Only later did I think to check the threads, and the paint had just barely penetrated between the lens and bezel which cleaned off in seconds with a toothpick, and there was zero paint on the threads. Elzetta's rubber switch boot also performed flawlessly in this situation.

Then one day some cabinet installer was under a sink, with his 18Volt DeWalt gooseneck light, and I tossed in my Bravo (now with flood lens). He said "It's so bright you don't even have to point it at what you're working on!" And I said, "That's not all" and went on and on about it's other features. Now I became something of a braggart and for a few months I was telling everybody about how tough my light is. I used to tell people "Go ahead, throw it down the street as far as you can." And they did! ( I really did that) Six times it was launched, landing on concrete or asphalt. On the first five throws the only damage was small chips out of the anodizing and pushed in buttons on the batteries. After the sixth throw I noticed a tiny chip in the lens when I took off the bezel, and then when putting the bezel back on, it was slightly out of round. I think the bezel is the weakest part of an elzetta, but it's also the cheapest part to replace. I have never owned a crenelated bezel, those might be stronger. That chipped lens is still in service years later. It was worth ten bucks plus shipping to BRAG THAT HARD about my light six times.
Moral of the story: If your Elzetta takes a tumble, check the batteries for damage. The light will most likely be fine.

That was five years ago. I stopped throwing Elzie down the street but i still carry her with me every day. I believe in my line of work, the constant exposure to dust and chemical vapors can be just as dangerous to electronics as mechanical abuse, and Elzetta is missing an opportunity by not marketing to the construction industry.

A couple years ago it fell about ten feet onto the corner of a piece of half-inch steel, hitting near the switch. I had to file off a tiny burr of aluminum.

Today I have two Bravos and a Charlie, they were all bored for rechargeable cells by oveready's boring service. Three years ago I started carrying a Charlie with the throw lens in addition to my Bravo with flood. One for close-up work, the other for throw. I use a Brass Peak Eiger when in dress clothes. Those three are all I ever needed.

... though I just counted 11 other lights that are shelf queens or toys.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Bravo high/low flickers on the low, but only if I loosen it just a smidgen to get the low (never flickers on high). When I loosen a bit more, no flicker. M61LL in mine.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So delus, any issues with the rubber switch cover tearing yet?
I pondered the potential of that thing ripping on my Alpha hi/lo as I turned it on this morning. I tend to press that one with my thumbnail since my old fingers are kinda stiff at 4:30am.

I keep a Bones in my work truck for lighting deep manholes and pipes. I put a speed clip on it for pocket carry and a wrist lanyard as some manholes I peer into……well lets just say I'd probably leave the light where it landed if dropped.

No Charlie yet but I do have an early Bravo body with AVS head upgrade and a copper plated Alpha. Oh, and a spare 315 lumen Alpha hi/lo nip. Dam good flashlights.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, delus! I wish you had some of that on video. Some have lamented that there are no good AVS torture tests online. Do you holster carry your Bravo / Charlie duo? Or is one in the tool box? I love my Bones flashlight but it tends to stay in a pack rather than my pocket.