Fenix replacement tail cap switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashatron

Banned
Does anybody make a high-quality tail cap switch to fit Fenix flashlights? I want to get away from the retaining ring in the switch. It is an engineering disaster and the most common failure reported on many distributors of Fenix flashlights.

I am looking for a solid replacement switch. Just like the switches you would find on a Surefire flashlight. I am not interested in using Loctite or tightening the retaining ring I simply want a high-quality switch.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know there are no replacement switches without the retaining ring out there. Fenix is not the only one that uses a retaining ring nearly all makers do this with their smaller lights. I have just learned to check the tightness whenever I clean and service my lights....asking Vinh about it would be the only option I could think of. If he says their is no replacement without the ring then there just is not one.

Flashatron

Banned
I know Fenix is not the only manufacturer to use the retaining ring in the switch. It is the hallmark of cheap low-quality China lights. I was just trying to make the PD 32 acceptable.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I have to ask ... how many Fenix flashlights have you owned and how many times have you had a problem with the retaining ring?

I own over a dozen flashlights that use the retaining ring design (3 different brands including several Fenix). I've only had a loose retaining ring once (not on a Fenix). That was soon after receiving it so I suspect it was slightly loose from the factory. I tightened it once and haven't had a problem since.

BTW, retaining rings don't spontaneously loosen. When the tailcap is in place, the end of the body tube presses against the ring and it cannot move. It's when you remove the tailcap that the initial friction with the body tube can loosen the ring. I don't see how this can happen with some Fenix models. I don't know if Fenix does this on the PD32 but my PD35 has left-hand threads on the retaining ring to prevent this.

If you're really worried about this, tighten the retaining ring once, then just do your battery changes by removing the head instead of the tail.

Flashatron

Banned
I own zero flashlights that have a retaining ring in the switch. The switch is too important to me to have a failure because of a retaining ring getting loose. This is the reason I never bought a flashlight with this design. I was just trying to find a way to make this light acceptable. I normally only own high-quality lights, so for me to buy a Fenix is slumming it.
A loaner light was my primary purpose for this light. Even as a loaner light I refuse to purchase it with the inferior switch design. I will probably just purchase a single cell Surefire for the loaner light. I have given up on finding a quality switch for the Fenix. I'm sure the switch would have cost more than the flashlight anyways.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I own zero flashlights that have a retaining ring in the switch. ... This is the reason I never bought a flashlight with this design.
... The problem is the retaining ring in the switch loosens up on me and becomes unreliable. This is the reason I stopped purchasing Fenix flashlights with a clicky switch.
If you're going to run two threads on the same subject, you better learn to keep your story straight.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
...I was just trying to find a way to make this light acceptable. I normally only own high-quality lights, so for me to buy a Fenix is slumming it.
A loaner light was my primary purpose for this light. Even as a loaner light I refuse to purchase it with the inferior switch design.

You might consider dialing down your contempt a notch. Lots of us own Fenix lights and don't characterize that experience as 'slumming it'. Not everyone can afford Surefires or Elzettas, and not everyone needs to spend that kind of money on a flashlight.

It's OK to decide that a given model or manufacturer isn't for you, we've all had that experience. However, you just got here a few days ago, and yesterday you were asking basic questions re: how reverse clicky switches work. Today you've declared a common tailcap design inferior, and dismissed all Fenix lights as being beneath you.

You should by all means discuss your appreciation for your Elzettas, etc. with other CPF enthusiasts. But please refrain from sneering at the rest of us as you pass by the cheap seats.

nbp

Flashaholic
@Flashatron - Since you already have one thread on this topic we'll close this one as cross posting is not permitted. Please continue in the other thread.

Furthermore, the suggestions above to check your tone are probably ones you'll want to heed if you want people to help you out moving forward in that or any other thread. There are many very helpful and knowledgeable folks here, be nice and you may learn something.

:welcome:

Status
Not open for further replies.