Malkoff questions - MD2, MDC & M61L

GallatinArms

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I have been a lurker here for a long time and decided to join. I have a few questions regarding some new purchases.

First I love my MD2! It's a great light and built like a tank. I decided to go with the turn-key with the M61 engine and high/low ring. The specs state it's 325 lumens on high power. I am running it with Keeppower 3400 mAh 18650. I decided to tinker with it today after comparing tint with a dropin M61L that I put in a brand new Surefire 6P host. I noticed when I removed the M61 from the MD2 that there is no gasket between the head/lens or the dropin. How water resistant are these lights? Being that there is no gasket in the head I would assume that water could enter rather easily. Am I wrong in assuming this?

I also purchased a MDC HA 1CR123 LowLow, Low, High and it is an awesome EDC light that I absolutely love. I can't really tell the difference in brightness between the MDC on 250 lumens and the MD2 at 325 lumens but both have the exact same color tint to me. I did email Gene and he told me that it's difficult to tell the difference between the two.

When I compare the M61L (installed in the 6P) that came in the mail today to either the MD2 or MDC the tint looks blueish/sight purple. Is this normal with the M61L? I took some pictures with my camera phone but it's hard to tell in the photos so I decided not to include them. Naturally I thought that the M61L would have the same tint just 175 lumen rating. To be honest I can't tell that much diffenence in brightness between the M61L and the M61, just the color difference.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to CPF!:wave: I can't tell you much about the turnkey lights but I do have an M61L. I find the tint to be pretty good but yeah, it's a little blue. I think the website mentions a color temperature that's towards the cool white end of the spectrum. It seems like there's a little variation from emitter to emitter, too. If it's too blue for you you might want to try an NL; the N's are pretty darned neutral IMO. The WL is very warm, maybe you'd like that one.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be a flat gasket between the lens and the front of the head. It's black, so may not be easy to see. If It really isn't here, then a phone call to Mr Malkoff will resolve the issue. To answer your question, they are completely waterproof. I haven't taken one swimming yet, but one of them went through a wash cycle in my previous non high efficiency washer without leaking.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Yup, like Grizzman said, the flat washer (rubber o-ring) goes between the head and glass. So it's like this:
1) gasket
2) lens
3) drop-in module
4) retaining ring
I thought mine was missing it too, til i checked. Grizzman, i hope u washed your MD2 in the gentle cycle:D

GallatinArms

Newly Enlightened
There should be a flat gasket between the lens and the front of the head. It's black, so may not be easy to see. If It really isn't here, then a phone call to Mr Malkoff will resolve the issue. To answer your question, they are completely waterproof. I haven't taken one swimming yet, but one of them went through a wash cycle in my previous non high efficiency washer without leaking.

So I disassembled the head this morning for another look. Sure enough there is an o-ring gasket, not a flat gasket between the head and then lens. It's a small, thin o-ring that's why I missed it the first time. The lens makes complete contact with the o-ring so I have no doubt that the MD2 will keep the water out!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're concerned, you can also apply a thin coat of silicone gel to the threads of the flashlight - although the Malkoff lights already come with a good dab of silicone lube to start.

GallatinArms

Newly Enlightened
If you're concerned, you can also apply a thin coat of silicone gel to the threads of the flashlight - although the Malkoff lights already come with a good dab of silicone lube to start.

For sure. The MD2 came with a good amount of grease so I am confident that it will keep the elements out. Thanks for the advice.

GallatinArms

Newly Enlightened
I went for a walk last night with all three lights. I'm in Montana so there is snow everywhere and the moon was very bright.

The M61L is just too blue/purple for my taste and I think the white snow background only enhances the problem. It's almost the same color signature as those (annoying to me) HID vehicle headlights. I find it strange that the MD2 & MDC both with the same emitter do not project this color signature. The MD2 & MDC have the same exact color signature.

I think what I'll end up doing is call Gene or Cathy on Monday to see if I can return the M61L for perhaps their M61NL. Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in light brightness between 175 (M61L) and 130 (M61NL) lumens?

Also there is a very small gap between the head and body with the M61L installed in the 6P. Does anyone know what size o-ring will fill this gap? I'm running errands today and Ace is on my list of places to go.

Thanks

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff's use of a round o-ring for the glass to head seal is news to me. I haven't bought a new one for over a year. Looking at the head lens and head gasket product page confirms that Gene's no longer using a flat rubber gasket.

Malkoff lights are no less affected by the tint lottery as other manufacturers. I've owned numerous cool M61s, and none of them have the exact same tint. They range from damn near perfect to rather obnoxious. If you call Gene and state you're not happy with the M61L, I'm quite certain he'll take care of you.