TM16GT battery issue with Sanyo/Panasonic GA's

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
So, I bought these here for this light. http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index...=59_88&product_id=289&sort=p.price&order=DESC

They will not work in the my TM16gt for some reason. I tried inserting/reinserting several times, double checking I had polarity correct and it wouldn't come on.

I then removed the GA's and put them into my Fenix TK75 and the light works fine.

I then swapped the Fenix batteries, the LG 18650MJ1 3500mAH button top unprotected cells, and put them into the TM16gt and the light works fine.

What am I doing wrong here?:thinking:[h=1][/h]

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I bought these here for this light. http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index...=59_88&product_id=289&sort=p.price&order=DESC

They will not work in the my TM16gt for some reason. I tried inserting/reinserting several times, double checking I had polarity correct and it wouldn't come on.

I then removed the GA's and put them into my Fenix TK75 and the light works fine.

I then swapped the Fenix batteries, the LG 18650MJ1 3500mAH button top unprotected cells, and put them into the TM16gt and the light works fine.

What am I doing wrong here?:thinking:

Have the new batteries been fully charged? What does the voltage read when you check them? Are they the same length as your other batteries that work fine? Nitecore lights can be picky on the cells they work with, if the cells aren't long enough or don't have button tops often times they won't work. Perhaps the button top doesn't protrude enough and the reverse polarity protection is blocking it. I had this happen with my Nitecore SRT5 with physical reverse polarity protection. It wouldn't take most of my protected cells the only ones that worked were the Orbtronic protected cells. The button top didn't protrude enough on the other cells.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
Have the new batteries been fully charged? What does the voltage read when you check them? Are they the same length as your other batteries that work fine? Nitecore lights can be picky on the cells they work with, if the cells aren't long enough or don't have button tops often times they won't work. Perhaps the button top doesn't protrude enough and the reverse polarity protection is blocking it. I had this happen with my Nitecore SRT5 with physical reverse polarity protection. It wouldn't take most of my protected cells the only ones that worked were the Orbtronic protected cells. The button top didn't protrude enough on the other cells.

Well the LG cells (67mm) are shorter than the GA's (69mm). Both have button tops. The voltage in all four read 4.2v off the charger. Can they be too long and not work?

billc501

Newly Enlightened
I'am not much help.I have the same Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh batteries got them the same place.They work fine in my TM16GT.Somethong must be a little different in your light.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shouldn't make a difference, but remove the batteries from the light and install the tail cap snugly. Take a piece of masking tape and tape lengthwise from the tail cap toward the front of the light.

Cut the tape on the seam between the tail cap and the body keeping the tape in place. Remove the tail cap and install the batteries and tighten the tail cap.

Does the tape still align or is the tape no longer in alignment?

If the light needs a ground from the tail cap and the tape doesn't align, it means the batteries are too long for the ground to be established.

Onthebrightside

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if your light might have something slightly off with it making it finicky. Mine also works just fine with those batteries. Mine are from orbtronic.

ateupwithgolf

Enlightened
Problem solved. I have a bad GA cell. It's weird because it initially charged up well with no problems, then apparently went dead. Richard at Mtn Electronics has had other complaints from folks with this last batch of GA's. He is sending me a new one and having me send the old ones to him to figure out what is going wrong with them. Thanks for the assistance.