Cree XHP70 Nuventix Rig

billz19834

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Since getting a 5000k XML star sample from Cree back in 2012 or 13 and figuring out how to power it, I've become addicted to getting new chips and trying them out.

After about 4 experiments like (digikey cxb kit, Molex Helion, Cree MTGs) I realized that I had a heatsink, a 12v blower and a power supply that should work together if I could find the right 12v chip. So I recently bought a 4000K 90CRI XHP70 from Mouser. Prior to that I finally tracked down a 12v heatsink from Meodex in France. I used a hot plate to reflow the chip and then rigged up all my gear on this fiberglass proto-board. Not claiming to exhibit excellent workmanship here. I did have the drill bit skate on me and ended up having my friend tap some new holes and set me up with nylon screws.

Anyways...I figure I'm running 20.4 watts and getting 1,792 lumens. Not that impressive, but I am at 90 CRI.

I've tried out a couple Nuventix blowers before. This one is loud! I may need to use an arduino or something up to PWM it.

This seems like a compact enough setup. Any ideas on how to deploy it for something practical? I was thinking a shoji style Japanese wood framed lantern? It might be nice for an outdoor fixture too because the power supply is supposedly IP-67.

Anxious for some feedback.

Best regards,

Bill
Cree-XHP70-1024x844.jpg