Need some direction on "guts" of custom light job -->

HammerThighs

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I am working on a custom light project and I am looking for some help designing the internal components or "guts" of the light. If anyone can point me in the right direction or offer their suggestions, that would be appreciated. I have taken note of the "CPF Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders" section, but I am too new to know who might have the expertise to help me out. I basically need someone to help me figure out how to wire this and/or to recommend components. Here are the desired specs (which are not set in stone and suggestions are welcomed):

LW8-2-r-d8WEo-5iRavP5Rwd3ziD5rp54Qrh8buzTy8FBw6uOjYEiTzFhcU4oTT0MJsEC2O1RZ1jic7BvvA220uf1tq7MuyMqI0-IEdYwJfPJzq9jBKcR2BzY26xpAG1hgtNu3rrKz5wWd_A7Vj8V07e7ouyAwW9BfkqO9o8mgCgA7EV0skF5gnmsCzW85HJesRSGXme_MWSQkIiuX7eMc8sNphOovufV4dlE3qcqmyFkc3ng4vFNGd0RQfQDAYNl9zN9eKjoSoQOo1wSEFukiRiu-p1Sirvo-M7BqoSmfdXrywbBQKtiPmd9Ph6I6w85KnHw3_dZwt6Prki6hA5bDTQxVMWqkXrafV4ucYDwMIlAw_4IJJXPb6fORbEbquKqV61uLFz5M94MfBybmf1g5Pe--b4GdTt2vKlLY5e8jGwMnGvWyEsD1mB9gz83ToYxHh7Id36KTmda5HWch95R9cM4JtDKdK91Cq924N65te8EraWxZINWiNVYG6SOU2Th7m-ogSf-4KTANqdFPnn0xcMvlc0I9zsnfHjYuOTI3u4RMwANLB836Q4AqDj0AXglUYN=w659-h789-no

-Multi Mode Light including:
1) Ultra-Low ~ 20 Lumens
2) Low ~ 100 Lumens
3) Medium ~ 400 Lumens
4) High ~ 1000 Lumens
5) SOS Function​

-Mini USB Lipo Charging Functionality (Via computer or outlet)
AND
-USB Device Charging Functionality (For Charging a phone/tablet from the flashlight)
(For these I was thinking about using PCB lipo charging module, like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2465 ; But was hoping to find something less expensive.

2465-00.jpg

-18650 Parallel Battery Tube (Does anyone make one of these, I couldn't find anything of the sort online)

-Battery Status Indicator (See my images)

-With 3 or 4 18650's at 1000 lumens, what do you think is a reasonable runtime?

-LED recommendations? Obviously the more efficient the better (also less expensive, less heat, etc) need it to go up to 1000 lumens.

-Do I need a heat sink?

Thanks in advance.

-HammerThighs

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi hammerThighs, and welcome to the forum!

I doubt you're going to find a parallel tube like that. Just from your drawing you can see how difficult the construction would be. The way that's typically done (in the very few applications that it's done at all) is to wire the cells as you show, then line them up and shrink-wrap them. That makes for a pretty long, slender pack, so you might need some stiffener, or slide it into a tube after assembly.

There are a number of battery status indicators available. Check the RC hobby sites.

There are a number of LEDs that can put out that much light, and they all have different strengths and weaknesses. You'll have to be more specific about what you want before we can suggest a 'best fit'.

Absolutely you need a heatsink. At full power with no heatsink, the LED would fail in seconds. You'll need something with at least 6-8 square inches of surface.