Quick Review: MFT TBLW Picatinny Light

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up this light last week and so far it is beating my pre-expectations, Mission First Tactical TBLW.

TBLW_zpsyfpxuzir.jpg

TBLW Features and Functions:
• Power button has simple on/off function
• Set screw for Picatinny Rail mounting
• IPX7 Waterproof Rating
• Battery door opens with quarter-turn
• Requires CR2016 battery (included)
• White/White LED

10 year storage lifespan, 12 hour burn time, 20 lumen output and weighing just 22 grams (.8 ounces),... you can get it in Dark Grey (almost Black) and Brown. Very small footprint, looks like a beefy squeeze light. The On/Off switch is in the back, easy to find but a bit squishy - you have to hit it right to get it to turn on easy. If you just tap the switch it stays on, if you press and hold then it becomes a momentary light where it turns off when you let go.

The polymer used looks to be tough however the battery cover compartment chipped a small amount when I used a too thin screwdriver, no problems when I used a medium sized coin (a CR2016 works well too). The LEDs look to be 5mm and are semi shrouded to throw all of the light forward, it is pretty surprising how much light is thrown if you have dark adjusted eyes. It comes in a White/White, White/Red and Red/IR model. Some reviews stated that the White/Red was pretty 'ringy' so I passed on that model, no screen shots or other proof so take that for what it's worth.

One thing no reviewer or the website lists is that it runs on (2) 2016's, not one. Took those out and put in a (1) 2032, dropped the voltage and the output went to approximately half of what it was (no light meter so no idea if this is accurate, just seemed to be about half). With it running 12 hours on (2) 2016's, it would be interesting to see how long a single 2032 runs at half output.

Although it is listed and marketed as a either a backup light or home defense light, my use is to put it on the side rail of a Chiappa Little Badger (folding pack rifle). On the side it takes up almost no space and since it is mounted further back it illuminates the front post site. It also throws enough light to use a scope at close ranges (25 yards) - went from not seeing anything to being able to ID targets within 25 yards in full darkness. Since my use case is to have this on a get home gun, being able to ID game in low light situations will be covered by the light. Below is a picture of the light on the side of the gun with a penny on top of it to get a sense of proportion.

Light%20with%20Penny_zpsgeaptj6k.png

At the price point of $40-$50 it was a bit steep to pull the trigger on this initially, at this time though I am glad I did. With the long run times, easy to store replacement batteries and the option to drop the lumens and up the runtime by going to 2032, this is going to be a really versatile little addition to my preparations.

Thanks for reading through