inductor dump current question

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a brain picker. I dont have a meter with inductance on it, so I have to ask you guys. A coil (in a step up) is defined in uH. this is based on, core size, wire guage, and number of turns. The more turns the greater the field and thus the greater the dump. and I would guess the greater the guage of wire, this would also increase the field. where would the trade off be, other than drawing more current on the build-up. I am looking to get as much as I can from the dorcy AAA driver, but the circuit design seems to be pretty much on the money. anyone try tweeking the coil with noticible results? I didn't go for the EE, and having an Assoc. I didn't get the advanced stuff, ie. 4 months on caps (you know, engineer stuff.)

I never heard anyone say, "that light is just TOO bright"

Jeff

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wire guage will not [appreciably] effect the inductance. Larger wire does reduce resistance which is desirable. Optimum is to use the largest wire that still allows room for the number of required turns. More turns give more inductance [inductance is proportional to (turns)^2] but lowers the current at which the core saturates. I agree that the existing coil is about optimum for its volume. The only way I see for you to get improvement would be to use a physically larger inductor.