QTC Longevity

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is one of those topics that's be beaten already, but I have heard from some folks that the QTC (as used by Peak) lasts basically forever. I've also heard that it wears out from compression. What's the truth on this issue? If it does wear out, what's its lifespan? Thanks.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Peak has been performing improvements on their QTC "pill" since it was first released. As a sample of one I've had middlin' luck with it. The first generation was very "jumpy" (due to the structure of the pill more than the QTC material itself) and I paid a small fee to get an upgrade. The upgrade was great at first and then became very jumpy. It finally became intolerable and I disassembled the pill only to find the QTC element had basically broken down. Peak agreed to replace it at no charge and I believe when I get mine returned it will have the latest generation of their pill. I'd say it's great technology but not perfect. Happy to report back when I get the replacement pill.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
One thing I've noticed with the QTC material, is that you cant have the compression device turning on the material itself. ie. you don't want to have the anode of the battery turning against the QTC material or it will break it down. I've made pills with copper or aluminum that compresses the QTC material and the annode of the battery turns on that and have had very good luck with the material holding up.

I haven't seen Peaks new QTC pill but hopeuflly they have something along the lines I described where the compression device does not twist on the QTC material itself.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also depends on how you use a light. If you're using it to signal morse code at full output with a plunger then it's going to wear fast. If you like low lumen output for long periods of time (as I do), it should last a long time.