photon 3 battery question

medix

Newly Enlightened
I know many of the recent posts have indicated that if you have a model 3 which takes 2xcr2016 cells, you can substitute a single cr2032 for dimmer, but longer lasting light. My question is if you do that, does this just reduce the current supplied to the led, or does the lower voltage cause the electronics to cycle the pulses to the led slower? Also if you supplied, say a red, with a set of 2xcr2016 cells would it destroy the led or the electronics since it is made to run off of a cr2032? The electronics for the higher voltage colors i.e blue, white work with half the voltage. Mabye all the colors use the same electronics that tollerate a wide range of voltage to keep costs down. Any info would be helpfull.

paulr

Flashaholic
Some people have run red led's off two cr2016's with no obvious damage but with no significant brightness increase either. Generally it's not recommended.

If you have a 2x2016 P3 model (say white), there's no reason to put a 2032 in it. If you want to run it dimmer, just choose one of the lower brightness levels that the microprocessor provides. That way you get the long runtime, but can switch to the bright mode when you want it.