**NEW** Nitecore MH20GT (XP-L HI V3)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Nitecore MH20GT

IMG_8862_zpsvxwh0bzv.jpg

Manufacturer specs

LED: Cree XP-L HI V3
Max Lumen: 1000
Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123A batteries.
Output/Runtime (1x18650): Hi 1000lumens / 1hr – Hi 410lumens / 3H - Med 230lumens / 6hr 45min – Lo 50lumens / 22hr – Lower 1lumen / 680hr
Output/Runtime (2xCR123A): Hi 1000lumens / 45min – Hi 410lumens / 2hr 30min - Med 230lumens / 4hr 30min – Lo 50lumens / 14hr 15min – Lower 1lumen / 340hr
Beam Intensity: 33,000cd
Beam Distance: 362m
Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two meters submersible)
Second generation 'Crystal Coating Technology' combined with 'Precision Digital Optics Technology' provide extreme reflector performance
High efficiency circuit board provides up to 680 hours runtime on low
Side switch interface provides one-handed operation and easy access to all functions
Side switch features an indicator light which displays remain ing battery power (patented)
Power indicator secondary function displays battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V)
Intelligent memory function stores preferred brightness setting
High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Constructed from aero grade aluminium alloy with HAIII military grade hard-anodized finish
Stainless steel titanium-plated clip included
Tail stand capability
Dimensions: 4.13" (L) x 1.25" (Head Diameter) 1" (Body Diameter)
Weight: (3.08oz)(without battery)
Accessories: Quality holster, clip, tactical ring, lanyard, spare tail cap, spare O-ring
MSRP: ~$99

In the box

IMG_8873_zpshq0u8luu.jpg

Appearance

The MH12GT has a black HAIII hard anodized finish over an aircraft grade aluminum body.

the knurling is of moderate aggressiveness and is in two places; the tailcap and center cylinder. partner these with the other design elements and the anti-roll is very good. The head has a lot of anti-roll design elements to it. The MH12GT can also easily tail stand to be used as a candle.
Overall grip is very good and very comfortable. The light feels very solid, yet lightweight and the size is absolutely perfect for an EDC light in my opinion.
The markings are grey and show up clearly on the body.
The finish is not Matte, but it isn't highly reflective either. Same as all other Nitecore lights that I have used!

User Interface

The MH20GT has a 2 stage side button that is similar to a camera shutter. From off, a full press (click) will turn the light on to whatever mode it was last on in. From on, half presses will cycle through modes. A full click will turn the light off. From off, a full click and hold for 1 second will activate the light at full power. Same for half press and hold, but it will activate the light at lowest power. From on, a full click and hold will enter special modes. From here, half presses will cycle through the special modes and a full click will turn the light off. Only the normal modes have memory.

From off, a half press of the button will activate a "beacon" that flashes the blue LED under the button every 3 seconds.
When a fresh pair of batteries are put in the light, it will flash the battery voltage, accurate to .1v

IMG_8872_zpsvumtnxd5.jpg
IMG_8870_zpsyng0ylb6.jpg
IMG_8863_zpswolvedjr.jpg

Physical Tests

I submersed the MH20GT in water completely while pressing the side switch. I did not find any water to have entered the light at all.

The MH20GT has great thermal regulation and the larger head does a good job of dissipating the heat because it can be on full brightness for a while before feeling heat. It is a comfortable amount of heat as well, nothing unbearable at all.

Since the MH20GT is completely current controlled, there is no PWM on any of the modes.:thumbsup:

Drop test included all surfaces from carpet, to grass, to stone floor. No surfaces showed any damage other than concrete. The only thing that happened on the concrete drop was a few little "chips" or dings in the black. No performance was hindered, however; I would still always recommend doing everything in your power to prevent dropping any lights.

The MH20GT includes an electronic reverse polarity protection rather than a physical one.. If the battery is inserted backwards, the light will not work. Nitecore lights usually only work with button top batteries, however; I use flat tops (Panasonic) in mine and it works fine. I would still recommend getting button top when able.

When the battery is at 50%, the side button will flash every 2 seconds. When the battery is "low" it will flash rapidly.:wave:

The MH20GT also features a thermal regulation system instead of a timed step-down. The system will detect the light's internal temperature in real time and adjust the output based on this.

IMG_8864_zpstfcjjwfm.jpg

The MH20GT is also rechargeable with a USB cord that is included. Plug one end into the flashlight and the other into a usb slot in a computer, or wall adapter. The side button will flash while the light is charging and hold steady when the charging is complete. If the light rapidly blinks, there is an issue such as the battery being incorrectly inserted.

IMG_8867_zps1oqvfx55.jpg

Beam pattern
The Beam pattern on the MH20GT is similar to the P12GT, other than the hot spot being slightly smaller. The spill is medium brightness but very clean and free of rings.
The New CREE XP-L HI V3 Emitter on the MH20GT is domeless, meaning that there is no dome over the diode, it is just flat.
It is also noticeably smaller than the P12's and MH20's XP-L2 U2 LED

The MH20GT also features a smooth reflector which produces a surprisingly nice smooth beam pattern with the hotspot nicely transitioning into the spill.

IMG_8868_zpsczhpz77t.jpg

*IMPORTANT* In the shots below, the weird shape of the spot is because I had the light angled upwards so that the flashlight body didn't cover any of the spot. The actual spot shape is very round

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/60

IMG_8874_zpscr3uovzo.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/250

IMG_8875_zpsz2ca6gbm.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/2000

IMG_8876_zpsfpf9eehv.jpg

Personal Opinions

The MH20GT has incredible range for it's class and size. I never thought a light under 4 inches could go as incredibly far as this does. The light is perfect size to carry in any pockets I have put it in. The brightness is also very impressive and blindingly bright even at several hundred meters if looked at directly when it's pointed at you. I feel that the crenelated bezel is good for protecting the glass and front end of the light.
The user interface is great! I love that the 5 main modes are well spaced. I also really like that the strobe "special" modes are "hidden" and require holding of the side button in order to activate. The memory feature is always great as well so that you always know which mode will be on when the light is activated.

The Blue LED in the side button is bright and easy to see on my light.

I absolutely love the overall feel of the MH20GT. I think this is my favorite Nitecore light now along with the P12GT. The throw is absolutely incredible, especially for a light of this size. The grip is very comfortable and I love the 2 stage switch. When I first heard of the MH20 I was hesitant as to whether or not the button and modes would be confusing when crammed into one button but Nitecore did a great job with the User Interface making it easy to understand and to use. I do love the beacon as well. if you activate the beacon on the light and set it down at night, it will be easy to find.

Another great feature of this light is that it has a very low mode of 1 lumen. Many manufacturers overlook this feature that I find very valuable. If you are out walking your dog or walking in the woods or on a trail and don't want to kill your night vision, this is great to have because it is just enough to see your surroundings but it won't hurt your night adjusted eyes. Next is the extreme brightness. This light will reach out several hundred meters. *Pictures coming soon* My backyard is 146 meters from the house to the forest start. This light reaches out there with enough brightness to clearly see everything at that distance. A deer's eye reflection would be able to be seen very far beyond that as well. The beam pattern is great because it has a good balance of flood and a good hot spot in the center. The hot spot is a little small to use in close range, but at a distance it is great because you have a semi-large area that is very well illuminated.

I can for sure see this being a very, very valuable EDC light for anyone because the size, durability, brightness, and throw. The only downside I can find to this light is that there is no tactical switch. However; this is not really a downside because the MH20GT isn't made to be a tactical light. This is perfect for anyone who wants an EDC light that is small and can be used for almost anything!

I honestly can't find anything bad about this light! I am extremely impressed with every feature of it and the ingenuity that has gone into building the MH20GT and I now carry this light almost every day.

PROS

Brightness
Throw
Flood
Battery readout
Grip
Low voltage warning
Good runtime on all modes with incredible runtime on low
Waterproof
shock resistant

CONS

SOMETIMES the light does not come on when I push the button. This is fixed by simply pressing it again. Maybe I don't push it all the way sometimes?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you for the review! Have this GT, the standard MH20 and the P12GT. Guess it just must be my poor eyesight but the MH20GT seems SO much brighter than the standard MH20 and the P12GT to me turbo is pretty much utterly blinding white end up using the lower modes. I must agree this thing can throw! Speaking of the button I notice a definite improvement in the GT's switch vs my XML2 MH20. The GT's switch is nice and crisp not needing much traverse. My XML2 MH20 switch is squishy as heck the switch literally needs to be pressed twice as deep strange....really wish NC would come up with a NW version of this one..

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, awesome pics! I think you put "mh12gt" instead of "mh20gt" on some parts. Also, I didn't know it had a low battery warning! Gunna check it out tonight!

Also, my mh20 was giving me weird button problems like you had (button not turning on or off when clicked, button changing modes when I wanted to turn it off, blue indicator stopped working for a few days) but after some use, they all went away and I have a perfectly working light again! Probably some dust in the button that needs to make is way out.

CelticCross: yeah, the mh20gt kills the mh20 and the p12gt. The buttons on both feel the same to me, however, the blue lights on the gt are brighter. I wonder if vinh has something neutral in the works using this new reflector.

Last edited:

TheYoshi

Newly Enlightened
This will definitely be my next light. Seems like a real solid "pocket thrower". I love my MH20, just wish that it had a bit more throw sometimes and that I hadn't just dropped it making it stop working... Thanks for a great review.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
eekazum the blue lights? OHHHH!! Beneath the switch! Had a senior moment for a second. I actually prefer the on demand voltage read out ability of the P12GT its very very helpful with such high output. I swear I saw I believe it was Vinh mod an XML2 MH20 and the actual contact beneath the switch pad being very thin it looked very odd. Still the difference in switches on my copies is night and day I love it! The XML2 original totally still has its place but maaaan NC nailed the MH20GT to the wall! As I look along my strewn about mess of expensive lights all over my office...lets see...Eagtac T25C2 HI does a very good job of coming in striking range of the GT's throw...ummm Armytek Dobermann Pro HI...I am now confident I got a ringer. I swear the DP HI does over 40k CD its output is even higher than the GT's. Ahhhhh! The new and sub 80 dollar Eagtac S200C2 HI. Simple as a framing hammer, 3 basic modes 1000 searing lumens and clocks near an amazing 60k CD this...this thing throws like well nothing else I have that is its size. Interesting. TN TN4A HI near 1100 lumen 54k CD laser the beam profile is freakishly wide and only 55 bucks!! Would have Vinh do some of my lights but these things are so capable now and high output I am not sure what I would have Vinh do...my bigger lights all throw farther than I can even see already...hmmmm still...MH20GT....I am very pleasantly surprised I actually thought NC was gonna really mess it up

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my copy a day and I'm still working on learning the size of the light and familiarizing myself with the power switch. I find when compared to the JETBeam RRT0SE, as a pocket EDC, it's too big and when compared to the Nitecore EC4S, it's too small but it's a S&R gem when compared to lights from ten years ago.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yes, i comfortably carry my TC-R2 which is comparable to your rrt however I find the gt a little too wide to carry in pocket, especially when sitting.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you wrote, the head is a bit large for pocket carry as I'm also afraid to pocket carry the MH20GT out of fear I'll scratch up the lense.

I will give, it's a beautiful design and a great thrower over that of the EC4S. I'll have to give the belt pouch a try and it can sit next to and behind the smart phone. I don't have a ranch but I'll strap it on when I go outside. :p

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
too big compared to a RRT0SE? Hmm well it has been a very long time since I handled one so er I guess I can see it. Love my copy of this light very much only way it could be better is if it had a double spring tube and a neutral white HI option Id be all over it again. I must say my GT easily has the most well machined and finished reflector I have ever seen from them it literally looks like it got hand polished. But man oh man make a NW HI of this light and stars would align. Fits in my pocket better than the Eagtac MX25L2 Turbo Head I have been carrying stuffed in my cargo pants...

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, when side-by-side, the RRT0SE is a bit narrower and about a half inch shorter and fits the bottom of my pocket much nicer.

The RRT0SE uses a RCR123 vs the MH20GT using an 18650 which would allow for the height difference.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
mm i know I have actually always wanted the RRT0SE cause hell its not much bigger than a Bic lighter. Whenever I do find it online I find it to be prohibitively expensive though and I keep getting it mixed up with the similar light that takes a 14500 with an extender and cranks like crazy. Not a fan of the RCR big punch for a very very short time. To be fair I only have 1 14500 light so dont have much experience comparing the two cell types. Fenix E25UE 1000 lumens on 2x14500 XP-L HD. Use 840mah Sanyo Keeppower 14500's in it. Technically the MaH difference is supposed to be little but man these 2 840mah Sanyo Keeppower 14500's crank for a pretty obvious longer amount of time than any of my many many 2xRCR capable lights. Man for just 50 bucks that mini Mag size and shape Fenix throws the F down it is utterly blinding. Tint is crazy bright white its actually kind of too much at the top. Hmmm....still and MH20GT with a NW HI? Oh man....itd be one of the rare lights I find a way to use all day and night...

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Shame on me. I've not tried NW HI LEDs and I haven't tried 14500s. The RCR123As that are currently being used are by Nitecore with 650mAh or 2.4Wh. Of course, won't going from RCR batteries to the 14500s lengthen the light by that half inch?

Last edited:

tfwongtee

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thanks all for the valuable insights. I was wondering if this torch is able to take 18650 IMR batteries (high drain batteries)?
Can it take flat top batteries too?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR 18650's are fine. No the light is designed to take button tops only. Some people have some luck with flat tops and get them to work in the light but there is no guarantee a flat top will work.

Saddlerman

Newly Enlightened
I must agree with CelticCross74 ,i have had mine for a little while now and it fits perfectly into my shirt pocket and its an awesome little light and man does it throw for its size ,and runtime is great ,I have 2 cr123 lights ,Led lenser F1 and cant remember the other ones name but very nice light ,only problem is they wont work with rcr 123 and the runtimes are very very short ,and those batteries arent cheap ,which is why they are still basically brand new and in my drawer

Again this MH20GT is much more than I expected and still impress me each time I look at it and use it

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh MH20GT is a new benchmark! The output and range for its size is a new standard for others to meet or try to beat. Only way you are going to do better is to go custom. I tried 2xCR123 in my GT it worked but man the light got super hot fast so a protected GA went back into it. Yeah if you try two 4.2v sources the emitter will go poof

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
oh MH20GT is a new benchmark! The output and range for its size is a new standard for others to meet or try to beat. Only way you are going to do better is to go custom. I tried 2xCR123 in my GT it worked but man the light got super hot fast so a protected GA went back into it. Yeah if you try two 4.2v sources the emitter will go poof

I am hoping Nitecore will upgrade MH20GT with XHP35 HI like Klarus XT11GT. I don't see why not.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore seems to have invested pretty heavily in XP-L HI V3 emitters for mass production. The Klarus is a larger light more room for easier wiring etc for the emitter. The SC600 MkIII HI and the MH20GT are at the same price point which makes things interesting. Until NC expends its stocks of XP-L HI V3 emitters the only way I see an MH20GT XHP35 HI happening is through Vinh.

jedi_master

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore seems to have invested pretty heavily in XP-L HI V3 emitters for mass production. The Klarus is a larger light more room for easier wiring etc for the emitter. The SC600 MkIII HI and the MH20GT are at the same price point which makes things interesting. Until NC expends its stocks of XP-L HI V3 emitters the only way I see an MH20GT XHP35 HI happening is through Vinh.

My hunch is that Nitecore is already working on XHP35 HI lights although they didn't admit directly when I sent an inquiry about this possibility. I don't think simply swapping with XHP35 HI will give you the result of 2000lm like XT11GT. I believe it will involve modifying the thermal and power regulation. Besides, I really like the stock UI. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Witterings

Enlightened
I've recently bought one of these and I have to say it's a great light ... I've always preferred zoomies up until now because of the throw they offer but this will keep up with the best of them and yet on it's lower setting has a nice "spill" so it's not just lighting up specifically what you'd like to target in front of you but also shows up your "wider" surrounds at the same time.

I don't think it'd be ideal for using say as a bicycle light as it'd probably blind cars coming in the opposite direction so something more "focused" would probably be better ... I not sure I know how to describe it but but walking in a dark isolated area all I can say is you feel more "comfortable" than walking with a zoomie as it covers both near with a reasonable spill as well as being able to go way out into the distance.

To make it perfect it could be that smidge smaller / lighter but if you're as likely to stick it in a glove box in a car or an overcoat rather than a trouser pocket it really is a BLINDINGLY good piece of kit and would very highly recommend!!!