M61HOT, EB2, P60, or ???

KBobAries

Enlightened
I'm leaning heavily toward the Malkoff for a couple reasons. I already have a body to host it and its runtime. Less expensive than another Surefire and easier to carry a small case with a couple different drop-ins and batteries than another light. Realistic output performance compared with something claimed in an advertisement. One downside is that it's a bit cooler than I'd like.

Surefire is solid but its output/runtime isn't great and I don't really want to invest in another battery size; I'm fine with rechargeable 18650s, 123s, and Eneloops. I prefer the tail cap of my LX2. Surefire won't sell just the tailcap so I'd have to steal the head from EB2 and then try to find a buyer for the leftover parts. I have an E2C adapter on the way for a 6P host but that still leaves leftover parts to collect dust.

Another light? :meh: I could buy one but that's more "stuff" and inflated outputs for 2 minutes before stepping down to an output that's 1/2 of the max. Add in 16 levels to ramp through and 35 blinky/flashy modes that won't ever be used. Would likely have to deal with something in the 7000 CCT range. Yuck.

That leaves a P60 drop-in. No preference between factory and custom. Advantages small and easily swapped out. Can get the UI and tint I want. Have an extra 6P host. Great custom builders here. I have a quad mule from Vinh in permanent residence on my nightstand. Also have a TripLED from Tana that rocks as my work light. Every day it's holstered on my hip. Is there a drop-in that will compete with the throw of the M61HOT and EB2 TIR optics? I don't care if it's a reflector, dedome, aspheric, etc but it has to have the following restrictions: Max current of 2.5 amps, single 18650 (or 2 x CR123) compatible, 1 hour runtime on high. No problems with the small step-down in output one sees just after turn on. Just no 3 minute turbos.

Dan

ps. Slightly related...what's the next larger size than a 6P head that's still compatible with a 6P body? Is it a D36 sized head?

Last edited: