Blood light

Muttlypuppy

Newly Enlightened
What kind of light is it or is it supposed to be that you see in movies and on tv that makes blood stand out?

D6859

Enlightened
What kind of light is it or is it supposed to be that you see in movies and on tv that makes blood stand out?

It's the spray they use to make the blood glow. It is called Luminol. In CSI tv series they also use bright blue light, but I can't recall the reason for it, it might make the visible blood splatter stand out better. Blood does not glow in UV light (I've tested).

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

As D6859 said it is a fluid that you spray on its that reacts with the hemoglobin.

The light wavelength for blood is 415nm and it doesn't cause the blood to glow. My understanding is that it will look black. I have been debating about making a 415nm filter for one of my flashlights to try it but I haven't found the material needed for that specific wavelength.

You can find more info here:

http://www.horiba.com/fileadmin/uploads/Scientific/Documents/Forensics/fls.pdf

Bluestar makes a lumenol product that you can purchase. They also make a spray that is targeted specifically to hunters.

http://www.bluestar-forensic.com/gb/bluestar-magnum.php

http://www.bluestar-hunting.com/

I have been thinking about picking up some of their hunting spray to try out. A few years ago I tried hydrogen peroxide and it didn't do much.

Bob

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
If the OP asks where to buy a tarp and a shovel, I am leaving.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the spray they use to make the blood glow. It is called Luminol. In CSI tv series they also use bright blue light, but I can't recall the reason for it, it might make the visible blood splatter stand out better. Blood does not glow in UV light (I've tested).

Urine will glow under uv...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a flashlight involves using the RBG (Red/Blue/Green) additive color scheme. Since fresh blood is usually reddish, it will only reflect red light. A flashlight emitting blue or green (ideally blue-green) will have very little if any red in its beam, and the blood should appear to be black or at least very dark. Of course, this works best when there is little or no other incident light that may have red as part of its spectrum.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally, people use blue to help detect blood, or so they say. As for me I never found it to be any help, and prefer a good white light. I've tried using blue lights for hunting, and as a Paramedic, never found them to be worth a sh*t.

D6859

Enlightened
I won't tell my kids that. They'll be making glowing patterns about the place to show how clever they are....

OT, but if you peel a mandarine it will spray around some juice that glows really well in UV light. I noticed it after I had eaten one and the table was full of little dots that glowed and my hands were covered with it. I think it would be better alternative for urine :p

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't tell my kids that. They'll be making glowing patterns about the place to show how clever they are....

Lmao! Yeah don't do that, you ll be chasing unidentified spots through the house.

I actually use uv to check how things are where I stay or sleep should I stay as well as get a clearer picture how unhygienic things are in a house sharing situation which I ve been in a few times.

I ve sources over time a hunter green light, the red, hyper red, need blue now and hi hicri.

The uv one I have is about a £2 job but I m looking for maybe a stream light or 4 sevens...

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber had a light that used blue and red light for blood tracking. I have tried using a blue LED and a red LED and experimented some with ketchup. I'm not going to explain the science behind this, but it made the ketchup stand out bright red.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly one of the famous brands sold a forensic science light pack many years ago,pretty sure I posted pics of it on here.

GZire

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, interesting 1st post. But I noticed the OPs join date is 2013, so he must have been planning it for some time :D

If post #2 is about how to get large quantities of lye.................:faint:

Wendee

Enlightened
If post #2 is about how to get large quantities of lye.................:faint:

I wish the OP would come back and explain the reason why he/she asked this question.
I'm sure it's an innocent question but everything taken into consideration (join date, post date, number of posts), it's enough to make my mind wonder...yikes. :wtf:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish the OP would come back and explain the reason why he/she asked this question.
I'm sure it's an innocent question but everything taken into consideration (join date, post date, number of posts), it's enough to make my mind wonder...yikes. :wtf:

Speaking of innocent questions, while making deliveries on my route, I saw that a nurse needed help fixing a panel on the back of her car I checked my trunk for duct tape and as I handed it to her, her eyes popped open looking at the rope and the shovel in the trunk I explained to her I had just moved a king size mattress that had to go on the roof, hence the reason for the rope, and it was winter hence the reason for the shovel and kitty litter.

For some reason I don't think she bought it.

D6859

Enlightened
Speaking of innocent questions, while making deliveries on my route, I saw that a nurse needed help fixing a panel on the back of her car I checked my trunk for duct tape and as I handed it to her, her eyes popped open looking at the rope and the shovel in the trunk I explained to her I had just moved a king size mattress that had to go on the roof, hence the reason for the rope, and it was winter hence the reason for the shovel and kitty litter.

For some reason I don't think she bought it.

"I just had to get rid of a... a... a mattress?" :D

mahoney

Enlightened
The use of "blue light" to find blood started in the age of the incandescent flashlight. The easiest way to get blue light was to put a blue filter in front of the lens, and the easiest to obtain source of blue filters...theatrical "gel". Filters absorb the unwanted wavelengths of light (which are then converted to heat), while passing the desired ones. Incandescent and halogen lamps are very low color temperature sources with not a lot of blue output. But there is a lot of heat (IR) emitted. "Gel" was originally made from gelatin, and later plastics like polyester were used. In either case not very heat resistant, so blue filters were engineered to pass through as much IR as possible so the filter would not melt or burn. Glass filters were sometimes similarly engineered, if there was risk of cracking from thermal shock. Passing IR without also passing red was not perfected, so frequently blue filters would "leak" a lot of long wavelength red light.

The monochromatic visual effect of the blue light, combined with enough red light to make the blood stand out bright red was the result. Now that we are in the LED era, you can get the same effect by combining red and blue LEDs in the proper proportions. Just blue light, or any other color light, on it's own, without a bit of red light will not have a similar effect.