ARCenstein - It came from Outer Space

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
[With apologies to Mary Shelly, Arc Flashlight and all the great Arc LS modders - LitFuse, TheFire, Jets22, etc.]

I recently purchased a modded Arc LSH with BB750 board and LuxIII TWAK emitter. Works great. Love it. But it does go though CR123 cells at a good clip. (To be expected)

I'd love to have it powered by a 18650 Li-Ion cell. I'm sure it would run twice as long and be rechargeable to boot. But the laws of Physics are putting up a tough fight. I could also try to find someone to machine an adapter. But that would take a lot of time, cost a lot of money, and would I be satisfied with the end result?

Still, I was insistent to know first hand how a 18650 would perform. How could I mate a Arc LS with a 18650? And then it dawned on me, that was the answer. They would literally have to 'mate' together. I drilled a hole in the Arc body and brought out wires that were soldered to a dummy CR123 cell. I used a protection circuit / charger contacts from a Fuji NP80 Li-Ion pack. I now have a 18650 cell powering my Arc modded LS. It runs for 100+ minutes and can pop into a charger when needed.

The downside? A little awkward. Real ugly. And I fear Arc Flashlight may become supicious if I tried to return it for a warranty repair. But maybe they won't notice.
Freak.jpg

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
Re: Arcenstein - It came from Outer Space

very bold and cool, Dress it up a bit with a fancy case for the batt and some wires and you could make a nice task or head lamp. Just a thought though, any reason you couldn't have drilled the tailpack?
Patrick

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

If we had a Darwin Award for flashlight modders..............

I guess that I should just say thanks for the ultimate sacrifice in the quest for this runtime test, even though...................

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! ELM, you are indeed an evil scientist! I'd call your little humpbacked monster, Igor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened

Maybe the 2004 Lummies will have a 'Most Stupid' or 'Man's Inhumamity to Flashlights' category.

Patrick - Tailcap was my first choice. But it is thick: no power drill here, had to do it by hand. And there is basically, no room - half the space is occupied by the cell and the other by the Kroll switch.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

At least it wasn't duct tape

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

It's your light, you paid for it, it's your to do with as you please, but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif
this leaves me speechless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you think about maybe taking OUT the Kroll? I'll bet that two wires would have fit through THAT hole and when you were done you could have put the Kroll back?????

Or taking the battery pack off altogether and just using the head??

cosco

Newly Enlightened

I was ashamed to post my own dirty mods and constructions. Now I am not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
I am going to take some pictures...

cosco

LightScene

Enlightened
Bold. Very Bold. You should definitely get the "most humorous" mod of the year award. I can't stop laughing.

I'm afraid you've opened up a whole new frontier for modders. Damn the cosmetics! Just get the job done.

Judging by your mod, I'd guess it doesn't rain much in El Cajon. Actually, I know from experience too, because I lived there for a couple of years.

Thanks for sharing. A lot of guys would be too shy.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
holy crap man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

and here i thought i was the most insane cpfer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
I feel better already. Won't be quite so afraid to post my mod pictures again. I'm still using this thing:
photmin1.jpg

every night.
Ugly but functional roolz!! DRS the crazed..

p.s. I like it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

drs2000

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
EvilLithiumMan said:
drs2000 - Your mod looks good to me. I think you just need to add type III hard anodize to make it complete.

[/ QUOTE ]

But at least the bulldog clip is painted and the business card printed. That's more than most of my mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tho I will admit to not having soldered it yet. Was one of those 'proof of concept' things that never died. Maybe for it's birthday (hatchday?) I'll solder it. Kinda like new stitches for Frankie.. Damn thing is only water resistant to .005ft, tho. Gotta work on that.. And I was a bit worried that the hotel maid would toss it out as garbage, but figured they'd be afraid to touch it. Guess I was right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Been sorting Luxeons and 5mm LEDs, and managed to solder my first 603 sized resistor, (Once I found it again!), so watch for more.

Keep on moddin'!! Yours, DRS the crazed.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys rock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Klaus