Melted lens from my SF 9N

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
Hey, now that SureFire doesn't make 9Ns anymore, I was wondering if they'll still have replacement bezels or maybe lens replacement kits for the 9N.

I melted my 9N lens(lexan), and I need a new one.

Any info, ya'll?

K-T

*Moderator*
That isn't a problem at all - just call SureFire CS and explain them what you need. I am sure they'll help you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
yep no problem at all. I asked, all I have to do is fork out 112 dollars for a new R95 bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF doesn't have replacement lenses??? I know it's an older model, but they still have the whole bezel? Weird.

Here's an idea: buy a replacement Streamlight Stinger plastic lens. It should be really close in size, or trim the SL lens to fit.

-dan

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
i should make a sort of suction cup attachment to my dremel. then i could spin the lens and grind it off, sort of like a highspeed lathe.

but yea, i emailed the repair guys at surefire, they said to fork out 112 bux.

[ QUOTE ]
Sir,
You need to order an R95 bezel assembly, List price $112

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call us at
1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service and
welcome future inquiries or comments.

Tom Bassett
Technical Support

[/ QUOTE ]

I said naw, i'm cool, thanks anyway.

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
i can buy at least two used 9N's for that much. :p

I just wonder if I can maybe break off the lens in there and perhaps get flashlight lens to cut me one, then use some light coating of epoxy around the edges.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, contact Chris at Flashlightlens. He can make one for $7.00. The only thing is, he'll need the EXACT diameter and thickness of your 9N lens.

I had a 9N for years and when an early LA blew up, (the original ones that were defective), Surefire told me there was NO parts available for it except the LA.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">...i can buy at least two used 9N's for that much</font>

Please excuse my off-topicness, but I was wondering - if this is true, where?! I`m looking for a new-used 9N to replace my very worn-out one and didn`t realise quite how much they were worth these days. If you know where I can find one for around $60 or less (just the complete light/lamp - no batteries or charger) *please* let me know!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
-Gene, Thanks for the information about Flashlight Lens, I'll probably just ship him my head and pay him to ship it back to me. But I'll install the lens(I'm anal, must have it perfect, heh) 7 dollars sounds good. I didn't know he'd charge the same for even a custom cut lens. That's awfully cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Chris, Ken Good from the Strategos Forum is selling one for 50 dollars. I'm most likely buying it.

But he has two 9AN's for under 100. But I guess that's not an option for you.

Also, from time to time, you can find a 9N setup for around 70 dollars. Entire thing with a battery or two and one or two chargers as well. I mean you can sell each charger for at least ten dollars each here and the batteries people will take up for a few bux too bringing you to under 60 dollars as well.

How is your 9N worn out? Perhaps we can figure a way to "refresh" your light and possibly other lights that SureFire no longer warrants against damage and expected wear and tear.

----I also have to Mention Size15s, Thanks for the photos and the information about the R95 and the R90.

He told me that the R90 is actually the correct model number for the 9N. The R95(is it from the 9AN?) does not fit at all. There are pictures in my email that show that.

So anyone looking to get a new head. there you go.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kalieaire said:
yep no problem at all. I asked, all I have to do is fork out 112 dollars for a new R95 bezel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call back and ask to talk to a manager and remind him "if it breaks we fix it".

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
Yea, so be happy that you own an expensive flashlight and are a member of a forum such as this. A place where creative talents can help you fix or improve anything you have.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">How is your 9N worn out? </font>

It has never had the right tail-cap spring, and as a result, the insides of the cap are a little chewed up now from constantly fiddling to keep the one it does have in place and in contact. The rim of the body at the tail section is very chewed too from having to tighten it down so hard to get it to light. And it has been dropped many times in the 3 years I`ve had it, more recently denting the side of the head which affected the beam. I have a T3 which lives on it these days and gets played with, er, used now and then. But for EDC I wanted to find a newer one that wasn`t so beat up. I`m in the UK so it gets expensive to send things in overseas for repair. It`s no big worry right now as my M3 currently has a ride in the 9N`s holster. I`d like to get a 9N back in service sometime though, since those expensive little red batteries don`t last long powering MN11 lamps. And you can never have too many flashlights, right?

For some reason I had in mind that a 9N on its own would be around the $60 point (lamp but no battery or charger), but from the responses I`ve had from a Wanted post down in BST, the general impression is that they are worth a lot more these days. I guess they`re getting more rare every day, and being the best rechargeable SF ever made, are still very desirable.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I couldn't GIVE away my old 9N in great condition! NO ONE wanted it! I decided to sell it after I went for some Pila LI-Ion cells and charger for my two G2's. I finally offered it with an original car charger, (rare as hell!), AC charger, THREE battery packs and an extra LA. I sold it for a song! Now, here you guys come and are clamoring for one. I guess it all boils down to "Who that waits, is rewarded!"

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
kalieaire,
No problem and that sounds like a good idea but check with Chris first before you do that. He WILL do you right!

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
Gene- I'll check. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-By the way
-----------
Does anyone know about the finishing on the SureFire 9N?

I want to strip the anodizing layer from it and refinish it with new coat, but I do not know what SureFire used, regular type 2 or hardcoat anodize (type 3) on the 9N.

Also, what kind of White paint did they use for the lettering? That's also important to me so that I can paint it on myself!

kalieaire

Newly Enlightened
Cool then, I can refinish my 9N. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The next is the white paint. What would be good against wear resistance?

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
What happened to Surefires warranty. I guess i covers everything ecepet Batteries, lamps, and Lenses now...?