Home LED's similar to Nichia 219

rlapporte

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm currently building a house and my builder asked me if I wanted LED's. I think I do, but I'm not sure which ones to get. I have a McGizmo and an HDS, both with Nichia 219's and like the tint a lot. Can anyone recommend a good home LED that would be similar?

I would like at least some of them to have high CRI like the Nichia (office, makeup area for wife, etc), but I'm not sure if hi CRI would be good all over, as I believe I would get a loss of lumens, right?

Other requirements...dimmable, no buzzing, no flicker, and preferably no delay to turn on.

In another thread, someone recommended the Philips HUE, which do look really great. I like the ability to change the lighting with a smart device, but they'd be really expensive to put throughout the house. Also, the CRI is a bit low and, as I understand it, you have to always turn it on/off with your device. If you turn it off by the wall switch, you can't use your phone until you flip the wall switch back on. Are there other systems that allow you to control color via smart phone?

I know there are a lot of questions in this thread, but there are so many variables when shopping for these things! Thank you in advance.

Rob

GaryRanson

Newly Enlightened
I am using Cree bulbs (BR30 and others) around the house and use the warmer tint for living areas and the cooler tint for task areas. Not sure of the CRI but know they have a series with higher than mine.

rlapporte

Newly Enlightened
I am using Cree bulbs (BR30 and others) around the house and use the warmer tint for living areas and the cooler tint for task areas. Not sure of the CRI but know they have a series with higher than mine.

Thank you. Do you know the model numbers and the color temps of the ones you bought? Any humming, flicker, or delays?

Thanks so much,

Rob

markr6

Flashaholic
Check out Hyperikon bulbs on amazon. 90+CRI, 4000K (I like it...reminds me of the Nichia 219 in my Malkoff), about $4/bulb in a 4 pack!! Also available in 2300K, 2700, 3000, and 5000.

I use them in my basement. 4000K may be a bit cool for all over the home though. You'll just have to try and see. I haven't tried them on a dimmer, but every LED I ever tried on a dimmer buzzes, even when it says dimmable. I think it just my switches.

1000x better than the 80CRI Cree junk I have elsewhere in my home (color-wise, even their TW series which is 93CRI)

GaryRanson

Newly Enlightened
Rob, don't know the model or temp but they came from HD. Some flickering on dim but just takes a micro adjustment of the dimmer to resolve.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another thread, someone recommended the Philips HUE

I have Phillips Hue, PM me if you want to buy it.
I took it out because it uses PWM, and went back to 3000k incandescent, because they have higher CRI than any LED including Nichia. I do love Nichia, but I refuse to own lights with Pulsed circuits like the HDS, which is famous for making a whining noise on low.

imho, ANY led home lighting system that is dimmable, uses PWM. I suggest you research whatever light system you buy, and if you cant find the info, take a photo with an iPhone..

here is a pic of my Phillips Hue PWM.. the stripes:
IMG_1330.PNG

even if you dont notice PWM without the help of a camera, your brain does. PWM is essentially a strobe.

the quality of LED lighting is inferior in color content to incandescent.

rlapporte

Newly Enlightened
I have Phillips Hue, PM me if you want to buy it.
I took it out because it uses PWM, and went back to 3000k incandescent, because they have higher CRI than any LED including Nichia. I do love Nichia, but I refuse to own lights with Pulsed circuits like the HDS, which is famous for making a whining noise on low.

imho, ANY led home lighting system that is dimmable, uses PWM. I suggest you research whatever light system you buy, and if you cant find the info, take a photo with an iPhone..

here is a pic of my Phillips Hue PWM.. the stripes:
IMG_1330.PNG

even if you dont notice PWM without the help of a camera, your brain does. PWM is essentially a strobe.

the quality of LED lighting is inferior in color content to incandescent.

I notice the PWM on my rotary Niteye Eye10, and although I love the light, I would not want a house full of PWM LEDs. I never knew that all dimmable LEDs have PWM. Makes me want to reconsider. Thanks for the head's up!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew that all dimmable LEDs have PWM. Makes me want to reconsider. Thanks for the head's up!

glad to share info
fwiw, Im just a consumer and not an expert, though I speak authoratatively from my own limited experience. I could be mistaken, and welcome further education if you learn new info to expand my understanding.

rlapporte

Newly Enlightened
glad to share info
fwiw, Im just a consumer and not an expert, though I speak authoratatively from my own limited experience. I could be mistaken, and welcome further education if you learn new info to expand my understanding.

Thanks, Jon. I will let you know if I learn anything else.

Best,

Rob