Would you use this?

teeveeloon

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I highly doubt you will remember this, but a while ago I made a thread talking about a rudimentary dual power lamp (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?410963-First-dual-power-lamp&highlight=).

It has been a long time coming, but I've finally finished a very large project that I've been working on since the beginning of the year, which basically supercharged this initial idea.

I do a subject at school (final year) that requires me to design and create a product that is new or innovative.

I had decided to create a dual power lamp (expanding on the basic original) to be used in a workshop or camping.

The Idea:
The lamp can switch from using rechargeable batteries (18650's) to using primaries (AA), or car jumper leads (through a buck converter), so when out camping and one has no ability to recharge the lamp, they are able to use primaries (or their car battery).

s3cnffu.jpg

HERES A GIF OF IT WORKING http://imgur.com/H77K4jx

Additionally, the 'Stem' is detachable and can be used as a flashlight (as seen in this picture below) by removing it from the base, pivoting the head into the forward direction and turning on the switch at the back (via a MOSFET). The stem has it's own 18650 snug inside, separate from the main one in the base

oOo4eUy.jpg

HERES A GIF OF THE FLASHLIGHT FUNCTION http://imgur.com/NMe881d

There are a few minor things to complete from here but, for the most part is finished.
The end features included:

1. Magnetic base - holds light on fridge, car bonnet etc.
  2. Dimming Knob
  3. XML2 Emitter (MTN Electronics)
  4. QLITE Driver (MTN Electronics)
  5. Build in charge port and status light (Taken out of an XTAR MC1)
  6. It is for the most part waterproof, all external fittings, including the box have IP65 rating - still need to seal up the head.

Heat Sink, Emitter and reflector
LOwqvGu.jpg

Car Jumper leads
nvlDHyI.jpg

The Battery source select (1 for 18650 and 2 for 3xAA) and Charge port (black screw on left screws over port to make water tight)
mbDU2lK.jpg

Orange Illuminated on/off switch
UCTtNrK.jpg

The Base is made from a durable ABS project box and the stem is from PVC conduit. The other fittings, (orange and black components) Were all 3D printed with ABS at school using Google SketchUp, which was a project in its own right. Keep in mind that this is a Prototype and *if* it were to go into production, these would no doubt be of more durable material.

I understand that this is not a brand new NiteCore light in terms of brightness, but it does light up a room no issues, but I also think its got something to it as a concept, using various sources of power for the same outcome.
I need to write a large folio/report on this and a part of that is evaluation, so I would love if you guys could (honestly) give me:

• Initial impressions
  • Ask Questions if something does not make sense
  • Critique
  • How you would have done something differently
  • What would you find useful about this?
  • I also need a name for it! So any suggestions would be much appreciated :thinking:

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and getting back to me, Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum. Nice Prototype. For some reason, I am most impressed with the 3D print job. Man, that looks great.
Yes it seems to have some very practical uses. Especially in a no, or low power setting like camping or outdoors. I would strongly suggest you incorporate some type of voltage monitor (or display) if you will.
I was trying to envision using this. If I were in a camping setting, I would like to know in advance what the condition of my cells are. Do I need to make a plan to hook to car battery (likely not there), or try and get some sun charge from my fold out solar cells.
Hope that my critique helps. I am sure others will add to that. Otherwise, impressive prototype and keep up the good work.

CkWeb

Newly Enlightened
I love it!

I must admit, I'm looking at some of these mods you guys have done and they're way more than I've even imagined or could ever possibly do! I'm sold by the waterproof-ness and the magnet is brilliant! I can picture using this while working on a car, not that I do, but.. you know what I mean? Tinkering away, figuring an issue out. Again, I'm not a hardware guy, but I like this one :twothumbs