I need above 1k lms as a edc torch, just dont break my bank

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I am willing to spend from 75-200 on a edc compact light that has above 1k lumens. Preferably close to 2k but 1.5k would be fine. Its just going to be very versatile (conversation starter) the over ready lights and sinners edc are out of budget. Any more ideas? I have the fenix PD-35, Bushnell 650lm, and a PS 250lm light so far.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
BLF A6/Astrolux S1 the lumens are very legit on this but you need a high drain 18650 like a Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 and a spring bypass or else you'll be around 1200. Astrolux S41 is another good choice

Convoy L6 will give you close to 4000 if you want something bigger and it is around $50

Last edited:

D6859

Enlightened
If you're not limited to 1x18650 only, Nitecore EC4SW offers you ~2000 lm (over 1000 lm for an hour) from 2x18650 in compact size. It might not be pocketable, but it comes with a decent belt holster. You can get it for 75$ e.g. from Aliexpress.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI. Over 1100 lumens out the front on max, has so many mode options and programming features you will have to study the manual for a couple days just to fully realize what the light is capable of. Quality is about as close to custom level in a production light you can get. The conversation starter would be that a light the size of a fat thumb has such amazingly high output and never ending list of features. One of the easiest to EDC lights in existence. One of the best aspects of it is that ZL is a US company out of Texas. It is a US designed and engineered light with most of its parts being either from the US or Japan. Fit and finish is ingot like. It requires an unprotected flat top cell though but its no problem as all the safety precautions are already built into the light. ZL sells the perfect cell for it on their site for like 7 or 8 bucks the Sony NCR18650GA 3500mah 10 amp flat top. When I got my copy of the light and ordered the cell at the same time they shipped the light with the cell already inside. Some may argue it is the best light of the year so far...

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your definition of pocketable, and how practical do you need it to be? (ie runtimes etc.)

The Manker E14/Astrolux S41 come into mind first when it comes to WOW lights. It's really small, and spits out 1500 lumens of neutral white hi cri goodness if you choose the Nichia edition. The only thing is that only lasts 40 seconds before it steps down to 800 lumens, then it steadily declines from there and lasts for only about 8 minutes. The copper looks nice too, and makes it heavy, so it makes it real nice to feel in the hand.

If you were going after wow'ing friends, that would be my first recommendation.

Vinh's SDMiniVN is another WOW light you can have, but it wow because of its throw, and not necessarily its output (although you can get led options that get up to 1600 or so lumens.) I rather wow friends with its throw though.

On the complete opposite of the spectrum, from a pure practicality standpoint, are the Zebralights. SC600 MKIII HI will get you a nice warmish white, while being very small for an 18650 light, and will spit out 1300 or so lumens on startup. It's very practical because the UI allows easy access to low,mid,or high from off, and the highest modes have PID, so it will regulate the output to keep the light cool and running long. The other lights are direct-driven for max lumens from the start, but the Zebralight has output regulation, so even if the battery is only at like 25% of its capacity, if you turn the light on at its highest output, it will be that same 1200-1300ish lumens that you initially had when the battery was full.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN32 UT.

Ouch! Better get a heavy duty belt if you want your strides to stay somewhere above your boots!

+1 for the SD Minivn as an EDC. The XPG2 gets about 1000 lumens and a perfect throwy beam and large hot spot. A pretty unique combination! If you want USB charging, consider the MH20vn or MH20GT. :)

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, lets start from the beginning, what in your EDC purposes will it be used for? Consider throw lights are good at wow but useless for everyday tasks which mostly require usable spill.

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
I've got a red convoy s2+ with a triple xpl hi and a blf a6 driver that I recently withdrew from a sale thread. Send me a pm for more details and I'm sure we can work out a deal.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh. ..I misread..thought OP was wanting a light that could go 1 km....he just wanted a 1k Lumen light...

How about the ThruNite TN12 ?

cj_86

Newly Enlightened
If you have decent soldering skills you can put together a light. Convoy s6 as a host with an xpl hi triple and h17f driver. Its definitely a "wow light" in my book for $80!

From left to right: Noctigon Meteor, Convoy s6, zebralight sc52, Astrolux s41, Fenix 18650 battery
A310C314-D3AD-49F3-9496-DC70BD8AB3A9_zpsw8vumvlv.jpg

A7C89235-5162-4CB9-BC71-35B8E05B80D4_zpsmivwtnol.jpg

AEA93D1E-6487-4E97-A71D-426DE983B0D4_zpsqxxvpz1x.jpg

Last edited:

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
The zerbra light looked like an amazing suggestion. It seems close to the output and size i am looko g for for just under $100. I would be up for building a light my sodering skills are proficient i just haven't read enough to begin to think about building anything yet. I have alot of research to do in regards to drivers and hosts

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest going to mountain electronics. A good starting driver is a fet +7135 based driver also convoy s2+ is a good starting host.

tops2

Enlightened
I'm reading this for a >1000 lumens edc light?

The Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI is a solid recommendation as others mentioned (I don't have this light).

Another idea to throw out there is the newer Armytek Wizard Pro v3 XHP35 for a floody beam. Not sure if the group buy from Illumn is still going on, but there's info on the other forum. Armytek lists 2300 lumens for coolwhite, but it'll probably be maybe 1500 lumens out the front lumens... This combined with their honeycomb TIR lense puts out a pretty good wall of light! It does get quite hot quickly, but boy its bright! Going according to spec, its about the same width but slightly longer than the SC600 MKIII HI, but slightly lighter. I have this one and love the wide evenly lit beam with no hotspot. Its got a magnetic tailcap in case you want to stick it to your car or fridge.

But both are good lights with with different purposes.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mk3 hi is definitely one to consider. Just remember it is 4500k so the tint is very warm. I called it orange and I've seen it called golden or sepia. As many have said, it is small, light, and has a soild build. Don't let the scary looking ui instructions deter you. Not that hard in practice.

The SDminiVN with the xpl v6 is 1600lm in such a tiny body.

SDminiVN with the xpg2 dedome and the mh20gt are very close in performance. Both are throwers and neither look like "only" 1000lm to the inexperienced eye (like mine).

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of funny how our perception of light works (at least mine). When shining the MK3 HI directly onto objects, it does look slightly sepia-golden to me, and that's with consideration of different ambient lighting-- rather it's daylight or nighttime outside with no light. However, if you just put the thing on its highest output and ceiling bounce it, the ambient lighting caused by the MK3 HI looks pretty close to white with a slight warmth to it. If you've ever been inside any big store, the color temperature of the MK3 (when ceiling bouncing) is close to those 4k cct flourescent tubes that they use for overhead lighting.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600 MkIII XHP35 for more lumens
Zebralight SC600 MkIII XHP35 HI for more throw.