Lower output single mode lights anyone?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Title sums it up, share your favorite single mode lights that are not insane high output.
Anything from a bic lighter, to a maglite solitaire and up.
It seems like so many people get caught up in having the latest 1000 lumens+ tiny edc that we forget how much can be done with a handful of lumens.

I am currently testing a Peak El Captain with an alkaline battery, it has been putting out ~8 lumens of warm white high cri light (very close to the light from an incandescent light) for the past 28 hours without losing enough output to be noticeable.

For me it is enough light to walk around outside, check dark corners, read, tailstand, etc. When it comes down to the line for 90% of my personal use (excluding special circumstance) I would rather have single digit (lumen) light for double digit (hours) runtimes than the other way around.

I must admit that for versatility being able to put out a wide range of light is more useful but there is something nice about handing someone a flashlight and not worrying about them changing the settings or killing the battery with unnecessary light / burning something down.

It seems like some people refuse to use anything but max, so they will get a lower max if they ask to borrow a light from me* :devil:

*I would not hand someone like that a flashlight as nice as a peak, it is for my personal use so they get the mini maglite*

archimedes

Flashaholic
McGizmo Sapphire

eGear PICO Light

Peak ShastaX

Peak Eiger (warm white XP-G)

Peak Eiger (Nichia 119)

Peak Eiger (red XP-E)

SureFire E1e / MN01 lamp

Malkoff M61L219 in MD2 host

Malkoff M60LL in a SureFire C3 host ....

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my single mode lights below 80lm(I may have forgotten some):

*Varta(Rayovac)Indestructible 1AAA
*Rayus C01 Nichia 219
*Surefire G2 Nitrolon black - M61N LLLL
*Surefire G2 Nitrolon yellow - M61LLL 219
*Solarforce L2r - M31N LL
*Surefire G3 Nitrolon M31N LL
*Malkoff MD2 M60LL

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Personal favorite single mode lowish output is a streamlight microstream. Before I got my zebralight I tag teamed it with a higher out put single mode (usually a surefire c2 host with m61n or p90 on 2x 16340 for Incan fun) or my a2. I actually still do that it's just moved to a different pocket. While the zebra is almost perfect sometimes I just need the simplicity and usefulness of the micro. It's what I hand to friends when they need a light knowing I have one. Handing them the zebra usually ends in a disco party on strobe and the twisty switch surefires a confused look when it doesn't click off. Also comes in really handy as a headlight on a ball cap. I'd bet it has more run time on it than any of my lights.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bic lighter fan here....until flamability becomes an issue.
Thank goodness David Misel invented the flashlight.

Probably 90%+ of my flashlight uses are done with a 'low output' single mode light. When indoors usually a dozen or less lumens is plenty or perhaps more lumens dispersed well... about 100 max though... kinda works out to which ever one is handy.

I'll say this though... a Microstream goes where I go more times than not and even though it has a good runtime it's been fed a new battery more often than all my other lights. My Mag 4C would be the second most fed I suppose. So I suppose they would be the favorite users with a Coast HP1 in a close 3rd.

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
One of my favorites is for EDC, and "give away's" is a popular budget light usually found @ several of the big China based dealers and going by several names with the most common being the Singfire SF348. It is a very nice looking SS, 1 X AAA single-mode clicky available w/a Nichia 219B emitter for approx $10. *(I think this is the BLF sponsored version?) One can also find the same light (originals) w/the old CREE XPE led's for around $5 to $7.

Output is advertised at 240 lumens w/a NiMh (Eneloop) and 400L w/a 10440 Li-ion, but in reality is more like 80L and 200L respectively. This is an incredible budget light with great machining and clearly geared to the flashlight enthusiast market...brushed SS w/clip, clicky, and 219B, 80L and a real value.
[h=1][/h]

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a single lower mode, I'd program my Quark Tacticals, Quark Clicks, and an HDS. But I actually tend to use 0.3 and 3 lms 95% of the time, with just momentary max usage, and have programmed my Quark Clicks and HDS, very similarly, for that specific usage. I too prefer low lumens, night vision and loonnnggg runtimes.

I like Quarks for their better efficiency and regulation across different Legoable battery configs, and their smaller/lighter package. Peaks are also really efficient, and with broad voltage tolerance, but are only semi-regulated.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
One of my favorites is for EDC, and "give away's" is a popular budget light usually found @ several of the big China based dealers and going by several names with the most common being the Singfire SF348. It is a very nice looking SS, 1 X AAA single-mode clicky available w/a Nichia 219B emitter for approx $10. *(I think this is the BLF sponsored version?) One can also find the same light (originals) w/the old CREE XPE led's for around $5 to $7.

Output is advertised at 240 lumens w/a NiMh (Eneloop) and 400L w/a 10440 Li-ion, but in reality is more like 80L and 200L respectively. This is an incredible budget light with great machining and clearly geared to the flashlight enthusiast market...brushed SS w/clip, clicky, and 219B, 80L and a real value.

I have given a few of those to family members, what would make it perfect to me is if I could limit the output to ~20 lumens to be honest the AAA batteries drop output so fast anyways that it would not be much of a loss and the extra runtime would be very useful for people who don't have rechargeables.

Gerber firecracker is still a great flashlight.

It looks discontinued, a shame as that would be a near ideal flashlight to lend people.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my MAG-lite 2D with its Dorcy LED drop-in providing 30 lumens of cool white lighting simplicity. I have a white diffuser cone on it and use it for ambient room lighting. Works great.

tops2

Enlightened
Of what I have and were interested in, my favorite is still my BLF 348. Good output for everyday use, awesome CRI, pretty floody, and smooth flood to spill makes it one of my favorite. I won't mind if the BLF 348 was a reverse clicky with a moonlight and current levels.

I'm back to the Zebralight mostly cause of the UI and access to moonlight.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
Well...i have an original CMG infinity ultra G....and i just ordered a Gerber infinity task light.....also have a fenix E01. So i guess i'm a fan of that kind of light.

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like single output lights. It seems like there are 2 common situations- it's dark and you only need a little light to get around, plus you want to conserve battery, or it's daylight and you need extra light to see into a dark area, under the hood of your car for example. The single output 30lm-ish lights just don't cut it in that situation. The only thing more annoying for me then not having a tool when I need it, is carrying around a tool that ends up being inadequate when you really need it. That's exactly how I felt when I carried a SOG pocket-plier, without locking tools I realized there was no point in carrying it.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...i have an original CMG infinity ultra G....and i just ordered a Gerber infinity task light.....also have a fenix E01. So i guess i'm a fan of that kind of light.

The original CMG Infinity/Infinity Ultra are great but I don't care for Gerber's redesign.I have several EO1s as well. The Malkoff M61NLL and M61NLLL are favorites of mine and if they become available again I will probably get the M61NLLLL. I found an Eveready 2C incan at a thrift store awhile back, dropped in a cheap 10MM PR base LED and cut some Lee filter material for the lens to improve the tint.The Eveready sees dog duty for night trips to the back yard.I would also point out the Pak-Lite,a household favorite,but it is a 2 level light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
+10 on the BLF 348. I have one, and bought a bunch more for giveaways. The light by itself is usually $6.99, add a dollar for engraving, and/or add a dollar for the gift box. I have to of the original Singfire 348s without the Nichia 219, and they are ok too, but don't have the high cri or the even beam of the BLF 348.

Another single output I have is the TerraLux Lightstar 80. It is two AAA, around 100lm, and between 80-85 CRI. I got mine when Battery Junction was selling two for $25, but they aren't doing that any more.

And of course, my second generation Microstream. What is there to say, it just works. It is my second EDC after my EA11, and one I use a lot when inside my PC case.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I don't really like single output lights. It seems like there are 2 common situations- it's dark and you only need a little light to get around, plus you want to conserve battery, or it's daylight and you need extra light to see into a dark area, under the hood of your car for example. The single output 30lm-ish lights just don't cut it in that situation. The only thing more annoying for me then not having a tool when I need it, is carrying around a tool that ends up being inadequate when you really need it. That's exactly how I felt when I carried a SOG pocket-plier, without locking tools I realized there was no point in carrying it.
I see the same situation, it is why I carry a zebralight or HDS.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Just used this little thing (a HIPCO 1aa from the 1950's) to navigate through my house to check something at the other end that went 'bump'... luckily (for the op) it was not an op.
Just the wind...

It's the left one.
It has a 2aa bulb which makes it put out a more mellow yellow beam.

The one on the right was in my pocket at the time.
Both set near my pillow at night.

At 2am in night vision adapted cases, yeah that'll get things started if the 'bump' had been an op... shortly before "pow"... won't go into detail of what "pow" means.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
The original Fenix E05 (single output, 27 lumens).... Built tough (like the E01)