Mountain bike headlight

richstag

Enlightened
Hi all,

looking for some help to locate the latest and greatest headlight. Favorite flashlight is Torchlab 3500 lumen wasp. I run it on dual 18350 and it's perfect. Run an old XML cygolight. Hoping to find a triple XPL headlight with 18350 compatibility. Example no factory molded packs.

Did a quick search but I know it could be days to find what you all already know so any help would be awesome.

Handlebar mount and internal battery. No external packs wanted. Would love to keep this under $200 but if there are options over and there are solid reasons to go for them would love to hear those too.

Thanks a lot and hope this is in the right sub forum.

Kevin

Last edited:

Rhinny2012

Newly Enlightened
I use a Niterider Lumina 750 for road riding at night, but it may not be bright enough for fast trails. Have you looked at the Dinotte XPL-3? I purchased a Dinotte Quad Red last year for a blinking tail light and the thing is outstanding. I've had several riders (and a cop) ask me what it is because it is so much brighter than any other rear light with an internal battery. You can only buy them direct from Dinottelighting.com, but they really are on a different level from most other bike lights.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I would make sure you factor in runtimes, also make sure you know what the runtime is for the highest settings. For example for simple rides I use a fenix pd35 950 lumen. But it only does 950 lumens for a couple of mins before steping down to 450 lumens .
For bigger rides I have an older foursevens mmu x3 1600 lumen using thermal control. So on the bars air cooled im pretty much always getting 1600 lumens.
Just a bit more to think about so you dont end up being disappointed with a purchase , hopefully you can grab the right light first time !
Also grab a cheap rubber bar mount and put it your helmet with something light like a nitecore hc30 will really help !

richstag

Enlightened
Hi guys and thanks! Yeah the dinottelighting is the one I found on google but I just didn't know how far to dig or if it's the right track!

yeah run times are very important I was hoping for similar performance to the Torchlab triple XPL wasp/drop ins. Don't need the 3500 lumens just the lower longer outputs with the added efficiency.

I did did not know about the cycling sub. Can a mod move this?

thanks again!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix BC30 doesn't exactly match what you said you were looking for, but it's been a great light for me and you might want to take a look if you haven't already. I use it all the time (although haven't used it in the woods on rocky terrain - just use it for riding on the road).

richstag

Enlightened
Yeah I'm looking pretty specifically for triple XPL with dual 18350. I won't not check a light out though. Never heard a to look. I have an xml cygolite and a few custom flashlights with various LEDs. No guru but most of the progressions. Really impressed with triple XPL on dual imr's.

Do any of these bike lights have the programming ability like the Torchlab V5 wasp 30w triple XPL's?

starting to think finding a way to strap that on would be a valid option.