Firefly Ti Button mod

helios123

Enlightened
For those who have issues with the button (like me) and still prefer metal over rubber, here's a simple mod you can do. Please do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damages to your light!

1. Disassemble the switch. Use a pair of tweezers or pliers that fit on the grooves of the button retainer and turn anti clockwise. You have to take off the pocket clip for this since the screws are in the way. A good time to flame your clip!

2. I flamed the Ti Button until glowing hot and quenched it. It will expand. Then file down the lip and polish it to a nice mirror finish. Please test fit each time, do it little by little!

3. Polish the insides of the Ti Button retainer. This can be easily done with a dremel, file if needed. Make sure you use a small rounded plane file, I use a diamond coated one and it took me less than 10 mins. You only need to polish the part where the lip of the button touches.

4. Clean compounds, lubricate threads and o-rings and assemble the light back.

My button is now super smooth! I also flamed the button (blurple?) and retainer (Bronze). EDIT: Uploaded a better pic of the clip without fingerprints!

If you are going to flame, please make sure surface is very clean. Use some alcohol and wipe with lint free cloth.

Enjoy your lights!

Last edited:

helios123

Enlightened
Nope but maybe some will help ;)

Yes the colors came in order..

First is bronze like you see on the retainer.

Last one is the blurple you see on the button.

In between (I forgot the order) is blue, purple, red (very quick to go though), bluish green and sky blue. I remember someone posted the exact order and temperatures..

By no means Im an expert, but I'll share some tips that worked for me..When you flame, dont go too slow and take the flame away often. This way you can clearly see what color is present and can stop immediately when you like what you see. Note that the color still changes when you take away the flame albeit at a much slower pace for a short time. Dont flame too long until the titanium glows, you wont be able to see what color is present! Always always make sure surface is clean or your titanium will have spots on it.