Review: LED Lenser P7.2 (4xAAA)

stephenk

Enlightened
Disclaimer

The LED Lenser P7.2 was purchased by myself around 18 months ago.

Overview

The LED Lenser P7.2 is a very popular consumer light, particularly in Europe and Australia, and has been around for a few years. It has improved upon the P7 with improved optics and higher output.
F37tQyHm.jpg

The LED Lenser P7.2 is a zoomy / flood to throw light, and uses 4x AAA batteries. Alkalines are recommended (likely due to the light being direct drive), though I use NiMH batteries in this light with no apparent issues.
t7oZaSpm.jpg

Limited manufacturer specifications are available, and are listed below.

Operational Modes:
Low: 40 lumens; 50 hours run-time; 100 m beam range
Power: 250 lumens; 4 hours run-time; 220 m beam range
Boost: 320 lumens; 2 hours run-time; 260 m beam range
Note: The boost mode is obtained by pushing and holding-in the tail cap switch.

Specifications:
Type: Professional hand-held torch
LED: High End Power LED
Operating Modes: Boost: 320 lumens / Power: 250 lumens / Low: 40 lumens
Beam Range: Boost: 260 m / Power: 220 m / Low: 100 m
Run Time: Boost: 2 hours / Power: 4 hours / Low: 50 hours
Maximum Luminous Flux: 320 lumens
LED: CREE LED chip
Focus: One handed speed focus
Optics: Advanced Focus System: Spot to flood
Batteries Required: 4 x AAA alkaline (Included)
Overall Length: 141 mm
Head Diameter: 37 mm
Barrel Diameter: 29.5 mm
Weight: 175 grams
Colours Available: Matt Black
Body Material: Aircraft grade aluminium
Electrical Contacts: Gold plated contacts
Switch Type: End cap switch
Warranty: 5 Years
Regulatory Compliance: CE / RoHS

Packaging

The light was supplied in a black presentation box and included:
1 x LED Lenser P7.2 LED torch
1 x Durable Nylon Holster
1 x Wrist Lanyard
4 x Alkaline AAA battery

Anti-roll device, mounting device, pocket clip, and filters are available as options at extra cost.

Ergonomics and Construction

LED Lenser are known for solidly built lights, and this one is no exception. It has survived many drops onto hard surfaces with no issues. The 5 year (now 7 year) warranty stands by the build quality. The light is only rated IPX-4 due to the zoom mechanism, and thus it is advisable to not use the zoom mechanism in wet weather.

The light has a good knurling, is well anodised (in black), and fits comfortably in the hand. The zoom is operated in push pull fashion, and can be operated easily with one hand. There is no zoom lock, though the zoom position has never been loose. The threads were reasonably well lubricated. The switch is located on the tail cap, more on that later in the next section.
CiIrKh8m.jpg
QpeqtG4m.jpg

User Interface

The LED Lenser P7.2 has a very simple user interface. Half-pressing and holding the switch in allows for 320 lumen turbo (boost) output. This allows for momentary/tactical use, but means that you cannot run the light continuously in turbo (unless you have a thumb of steel).

Continuing with a full-press "click" engages 250 lumen high mode. Another click engages the 40 lumen low mode. Another click goes to Off. You have to cycle through both modes, and there is no memory.

There is no firefly mode, moonlight mode, strobe, SOS, or any other fancy mode such as battery capacity check. This light is very low tech! On the plus side, the light has a reputation for high reliability due to its simplicity, and for many users the limited user interface still does the job.

Optics

The LED Lenser has an excellent optic system, and I have yet to see a zoomy light with better optics. This optics contains a plastic lens with TIR and aspheric elements. The LED is on a raised extension. This design allow for minimal loss of light when in zoom/throw compared to aspheric lenses where around half of the output can be lost when at full zoom/throw.
P9koDtIm.jpg
g7OZH7cm.jpg

At the wide/flood end the beam is very uniform, with a sharp beam cut off. This allows for very even illumination of objects compared to the typical hotspot and spill beam of non-zoom flashlights.
f7mIwbQm.jpg
Yf3yavDm.jpg

At the zoom/throw end of the beam, there is an almost circular bright hotspot with no spill beam. There is minimal halo effect compared to other zoomy lights. Thus as the zoom/throw end, this light produces an impressive pencil beam of light that is useable (i.e. can identify animals) at over 150m.
3RgN0dtm.jpg
fZVnH0Em.jpg

Whilst this light has an impressive beam at both ends of the zoom range, things do get a bit funky in the middle of the zoom range (in particular closer to the zoom end of the scale) as the below photo shows. This beam artefact is less obvious when not looking at a white wall!
crSpXMkm.jpg
IXzpt8Ym.jpg

Output and Runtime

Whilst the optics of this light are impressive, the output and runtime are less impressive. Testing was performed with freshly charged 4th Gen FDK Eneloop NiMH cells. On 250 lumen high mode with NiMH batteries, the output follows a typical NiMH discharge curve as would be expected for a direct drive light. There is a drop in output during the first few minutes, though this is difficult to notice in reality. The output appears to fairly constant until around 75 minutes, when the light starts to noticeably dim. By 90 minutes the output was around 15 lumens, and continued at this output until I stopped testing at 165 minutes, at which point the most discharged cell was at 0.96V. Thus the claimed 4 hour (240 minute) runtime on high, is more around 75 minutes until the light looses its usefulness.

LED Lenser do not publish the emitter type, emitter bin, tint, or CCT. However it appears to be a cool white Cree XP-G2. There is slight purple tint. The CRI is estimated to be in the 70-80 CRI range, and is noticeably better than the LED Lenser P7QC. As the light is resistor controlled, there is no PWM.
HzHia9Um.jpg

25933577794_3cfdf4bdc1.jpg

Conclusion

This light is a bit of a mixed bag. The construction and optics are excellent, and punches above its lumens for throw. The low-tech user interface is easy to use, but the light lacks many modes found on other lights. The useful runtime is far less than the claimed runtime. The light is also not particularly cheap (AU$110, though can be found for AU$70).

If you want a well built light with great zoom optics and only require relatively short runtimes, then this a great option. It is also a good option for those who do not want to use li-ion batteries (which is most of the consumer market). However, if you require higher brightness, or longer runtimes, then look elsewhere.

Discussion

The optics in the P7.2 are patent pending (? in which countries) so this may limit the number of manufacturers who are able to use a similar optical design, but in an otherwise better light (higher output, better runtimes, better user interface).

The larger and slightly more expensive LED Lenser P14.2 uses 4x AA (a battery combination that can reach 1000 lumens from some manufacturers). Unfortunately, the maximum output of the P14.2 is no better than the P7.2 at 320 lumens, though runtimes will obviously be better.

LED Lenser have recently released the more hi-tech P7R which uses a (low capacity) ICR li-ion battery with in-built charger, has an electronic LED driver, battery charge indicator, zoom lock, and 1000 lumen boost mode (with stepdown). Unfortunately, the P7R is also ridiculously expensive at AU$230 (especially when compared to the Convoy BD04 at AU$26), though I'm sure it will still be popular with the consumer market.

It seems that the path to zoomy flashlight utopia is not yet complete.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review , still like lenser myself but not enough to buy any newer models. The T7.2 i do have and is stored as a spair in my tool box as 160lm of regulated nichia triple flood, will not be beaten for my uses . The lockable head is a nice feature as before that, it used to get on my nerves a little. However it did become 2nd nature when using (zoom back for flood, forward to focus and penetrate Perspex to check modules) . I can only compare the light I have and found the zoom not quite as smooth with the lockable head.

Even the older T7 is still in use(not by me) , cracked lens with piece missing out, ano....lack of as its now silver! No light I has had or know of ,has took more of a beating and still continues to this day. I used it for years with 100's of drops onto hard floors(sometimes steel).

This old pic when I used it , makes it look mint condition now !

From my experience , reliable and will take a heck of a beating. Customer service in UK is above excellent . Still appears a popular choice for many as a brand. Ones who want a better light than the general cheap torch found at supermarkets as an example . Still in many tool catalogues like RS and still bought by tecs at work. Not cheap though, £53 in RS(of course we get a discount but still......)But they are genuine ! Just a brand riddled by fakes, so many on eBay and so many have fake lensers. Especially the buy 2 ones for the cost of one! Cheers :)

harro

Enlightened
They are a pretty tough old beast. My P7 has survived a couple of falls whilst affixed to my pushbike, as a headlamp. The second fall resulted in a great bevel gouged into the bezel. Fix; a clean up with a 4" mill file and some attention with a black permanent marker ( sharpie ). Mint.
A great review. Good to see some reviews of well used lights. Gives an idea of how they stand up to the test of time.

Last edited:

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Want non-owner opinion, solely based on your pictures/coments?

Big, ugly, bulky, heavy and obsolete :)

_nw

Newly Enlightened
I always liked LED Lenser's body designs. Although I've not used one, I found them to be one of the more visually interesting designs at local shops.

Your well written review leaves me feeling meh about them functionally though. Thanks for the read [emoji4]

LarcKen

Newly Enlightened
I got myself a P7 not long ago, and very surprised at the performance of their zoom optics.
Almost all of the optics on zoomies on the market will reduce lumens by around half in the zoomed in position.
But it's different story with Lensers, There is no decrease in lumens. And if there is any, it's very minimal.
Even the P7 at only 200 lumens, out-throws my 1000 lumens throwy 1x 18650 light.
If you're curious on zoomies, you can't go wrong with any of the LED Lensers

narmattaru

Enlightened
thanks for review, but everytime i see review of Lenser, i`m surprised how anyone buys 200 lumen light for the price of good 3-4 times brighter flashlight

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for bringing up a classic.
That took guts. lol. What were you thinking laddy? lol.

Nah, but seriously in todays parade same ole same ole fashionable offerings it was nice to see this one with its distinctive style and features being discussed.

I liked the P7 but never got around to the 7.2. Starting out in turbo wasn't my favorite but I did like reversing to low. This thread makes me want to dig out my P7 to carry to work tonight.

I liked the way they came with a nice lanyard, a nice closed top holster to fit any belt, and all of those plated contact points. They were pricey, yet built to last a good long time. And I really liked their slider head vs the rival Coast versions.
They were so awesome at one point that fake ones were being made. Some of the fakes were better than many of todays tin toy tacti-cool lights.

Again, thanks for this thread.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
thanks for review, but everytime i see review of Lenser, i`m surprised how anyone buys 200 lumen light for the price of good 3-4 times brighter flashlight

Although not directly compatible , HDS are lower output and many don't need 1000lm of light for daily uses /tasks . But yes lumens sell lights generally . I like my lumens too, but most of my uses are under 200lm .

For someone who might want an easy to source fueled light, needs a bit of throw and sometimes spill in one light. Not fussed about hi cri beams and not going diving with it, for general public type uses (work/camping/house)it is still not a bad option IMO . I used my T7 for years of abuse , I had free AAA cells to swap in every day or other day=free to run. Although I would not recommend it over say a much cheaper s2+ with tint options and mode memory , but for those who don't want the messing with li ions ,chargers (I feed mine eneloop AAA now anyway), want a decent zoomy then it's a viable option ........IMO anyway(might be on my own :laughing: )

:)

LarcKen

Newly Enlightened

Because your brighter flashlight will likely have less throw, And not as nice to use on close range because of the hotspot as opposed to the uniform light of zoomies? :grin2:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great review! You give a fair, generally objective description of this light and its capabilities. I appreciate the time and effort.

TCY

Enlightened
Great review, Thanks.

I used to EDC my P7.2 until I found the world of smaller and brighter 18650 based lights. Now it just sits on my desk as a plan B.

This review somehow reminds me of a young plumber I came across a few years back. He was using a company issued LL P5 and was more than happy with it. I still remember what he said: "The battery lasts forever!"

CuriousOne

Enlightened
And of course, not everyone needs 1000 lumens, but with modern flashlights, it is possible to have 200 lumens in much more compact package. If anyone wants to have uniform light, all you need to do is check front glass diameter of your flashlight, then go to ebay, buy appropriate size close-up lens and voila, you're done.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
People buy them for the same reasons people buy cars with less horse power than others.

i.e.

What it does and how it does it, are actually far more relevant, than outright numbers.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
And of course, not everyone needs 1000 lumens, but with modern flashlights, it is possible to have 200 lumens in much more compact package.
Not running on 3 or 4 xAAA it isn't, well only the Mag XL range as the head is smaller. And multiple AAA is used because it gives the right voltage for the emitter. You could use multiple AA (and Lenser do), but makes for a bigger flashlight.

1AA or even 2AA are much harder to get the performance from. As you need to boost the voltage.

Plus a smaller light won't handle the heat as well. And at the end of the day, if you want the throw of the p7.2, you won't get it in a small package. The lens needs to be that size. And a reflector light would do no better and also need to be the same size or bigger.

However Lenser offer both 1AA and 2AA formats if you prefer.

And they even offer Li-ion. So you are completely missing the point and showing a general lack of understanding.

If anyone wants to have uniform light, all you need to do is check front glass diameter of your flashlight, then go to ebay, buy appropriate size close-up lens and voila, you're done.
Again, point rather missed.

Latest posts