A great reason to own a 1X123A light.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
The reason I bought my first 1X123A light years ago was not just for the size of the light, but mainly so when I was using primaries in multiple 123A lights and it dropped down to almost nothing I could take the two or three cells out and not only find the problem cell and discard it, but also still use the remain two cells that are fine.

This happened last night again with my SF Fury PX3 Defender. I pressed the tail cap and got full brightness for two seconds and then it dropped to about 200 lumens. I did a quick change for some new ones and was out the door. This morning I checked the three cells by just putting them in the Baton and cycling through the three outputs. the first two were fine and the last one barely lit the Baton. So I discarded the bad cell and kept the two that were still good enough to use in the Baton. Of course I would never mix those cells with other lights and only use a 1X123A cell light to drain them to depletion. This makes me feel better to be able to completely use up my primaries before tossing them. I don't test for voltage anymore like I used to, just carry a few at a time with me and toss them as they are used up. I currently have exactly 110 brand new SF123A cells but I still like to use them all up.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love 2 and 1xCR123 lights more than AA and 18650.

For a vampire, my Tana Singled in my E1e drains primaries down to 2.2-2.3Volts.
It happily lights up on cells rejected by my E1D(2.8+ volts) on low mode(12 lumens).
The E1D still works on low on those cells though, haven't measured how far down it takes primaries. I have a feeling it's quite a vampire too.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have over 100 Duracell and rayovac cr123s which are about 10 years old. They all test well on my multimeter and my ZTS tester. I'm looking for suggestions on lights that can vampire low cells but especially interested in lights that use multiple primaries. Thanks

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have dozens of CR123 with different "expiry" dates ranging from 2018 to 2025, all kept cool and dry so I have no doubt they'll do well but sometimes I wish to use them up so I can buy fresher stocks as well.
Will probably use up a few a day in my G2 incandescent.

That would leave me more cells to vampire though, and make my 1xCR123 lights even busier. Heck, I may just give em away. The thought of trying to drain all those alone is tiring.

mcm308

Enlightened
I still have about 70 Surefire 123's. Mainly for my A2's. I just got a sweet 2nd Gen L1 but I haven't started using it yet. I think a read a 16340 performs good in the L1.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
​I LOVE CR123 lights!! That is pretty much all I own.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Long live the 1 by 123.
A Malkoff M31W and a near empty fuel cell? Now you're cookin' with Crisco.

And as for the future? The golden days of 500 steady lumens are here.

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
1x123 lights comprise the majority of my lights. By far my 1st choice when its time to fill a pocket!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I like 1 x CR123a lights, too.

One of the big advantages, at least perceived to be such, back in the day, which from my perspective was like 10 years ago, was that you were less likely to go:poof:with just one cell in your light. This despite Samsung doing a pretty good job of making some single lithium cell incendiary grenades, but I digress...

With the performance of 1 cell lights now blowing away the performance of the best 2 cell lights around in '10 and earlier, I am inclined to use single cell lights now, mostly. Mainly, because they are easier to carry around.

Though I'm not going to give up my G2, or my AZ2. And I want another E2E, and am kicking myself for selling my U2. Yeah, I have a thing for these older SureFires.