Glo powered Luxeon SE

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got around to playing with some of my old SE mods. Quite a while ago someone posted some neat uses of glow powder - can't even remember what they were now. BUT, I could remember what I wanted to try.

Mixing a little glow powder with some clear nail polish and pouring the 'brew' into the top cavity of a SE...

NOTE: all the pics have the Luxeon OFF. The light you see is just from the glo powder.

First shot - the glo POWERED Luxeon - after about 2 seconds of 'energizing'. Excuse the dirty/plastic lens on the cheapy light.

glo1.jpg

Next shot is with some more ambient light and my son holding the light for me

glo2.jpg

And the final shot the SE on it's slug.

glo3.jpg

As far as I can tell the mod doesn't detract from the beam quality or colour - but boy does it make it easy to locate the light in the dark. Since the SE is perfectly focussed in the reflector - the entire reflector glows a beautiful aqua colour.

george.

jtice

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Very Nice!
That looks so cool!
I have been meaning to try some of that glow powder. Seems like really bright stuff.
How long does it typically glow?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Very Nice!
That looks so cool!
I have been meaning to try some of that glow powder. Seems like really bright stuff.
How long does it typically glow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the powder about a yr & a half ago - took a while to get some time to play with it ;-)

I went and looked, it still is glowing (dim) after 2hrs with just a few seconds of energizing. I'll zap it for a few minutes tonight and see how it does.

george.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
George,
I've made several posts about this very thing recently and have coated many bezels and other things with this stuff. I've been fascinated with "glow-in-the-dark" stuff since I've been a kid!

My problem has been that I've been disappointed with even the "new generation" of glow powder that has been so highly touted. It IS amazing how bright it is initially but the initial bright glow disappears far too quickly. It then becomes a very faint and I mean FAINT glow but the faint glow DOES last for a few hours.

I made a recent post about my disappointment with glow powder and another CPF member responded and told me that I wasn't using the "latest and greatest" glow powder that's available now. I've always used Wayne's, ("Elektro Lumens" here on CPF), Stontium Aluminate glow powder from the "Glow Lady" on his site. I respectfully asked this member if he could be so kind as to send me a little of this "latest and greatest" powder and I would try it out and I would report back with my findings. He said he would but he didn't so I suspect the "Glow Lady's" stuff is still the best that's available.

I HAVE found that mixing it with "fast set", two part, crystal clear epoxy somehow gives it an even brighter initial glow and of course it's much more durable than when mixed with clear nail polish. As a bonus, it's even EASIER to use with the epoxy than with the nail polish. Still, the glow's duration isn't any longer.

I still like the stuff a lot but as I've stated in numerous past posts, don't expect it to glow like Tritium even after a relative short while!

Wylie

Enlightened
A big smile on my face as I go for the glow powder the two EveLeds and the fishing rod building epoxy!
Very cool I have to do this!

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Very nice. Is that green or aqua(cyan) colored glow powder?

[/ QUOTE ]

The receipt says aqua glo powder. I got it ages ago at readysetglo.

george.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I like it...but don't get where you applied it..
Did it go onto the optic itself?
Is there a hollow in the optic?
tell me more about how you applied it, please....pretty please

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Blue said:
I like it...but don't get where you applied it..
Did it go onto the optic itself?
Is there a hollow in the optic?
tell me more about how you applied it, please....pretty please

[/ QUOTE ]

The Side Emitters have a conical cavity at the top. I just filled that cavity with some glow powder mixed with nail polish. Due to the side emitter's own optic that small amount of glow powder reflects back down through and off the reflector of the torch but doesn't affect the SE output when it is fired up.

Ok - I've updated one of the pictures to show where the glow powder goes.

george.

jpeg

Enlightened
Another Brilliant mod.
Thanks George!!!

Too bad the Arc4's don't use SE LEDs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Aren't they cute!
f9a346e1.jpg

You know I have had these two EveLeds for about a year and I just noticed each is a little different. I bought them at the same time. No worries they both rock!
I just took a look at the beam and this has some merit to it. I have lost the artifacts that were shooting out from the center of the beam. I wish I would have done these one at a time now so I could have posted the difference in the beams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
If there is less light projected I can't notice the difference either.