HaikeLite MT03 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
For last 2-3 years, since i started to collect and review flashlight, I`ve been wanting to grab some REALLY bright light. At first I was lucky not to order any of 15-18 LEDs cheap crap (ultrafires). Later, when i understood that the only choice was Meteor, i`ve already had a lot of lights and decided to wait. So, when i red positive review about this Haikelight, i decided to risk and orded it for just 90.19$ using good discount (coupon:NXMA $90.19) from Gearbest(link is external). By now i`m not disappointed, thought i see some details that need to be fixed in next version.
To be honest, i don`t see any practical sense in buying stuff like this. For me it is just "WOW!" thing. And as "WOW!" it works perfectly.
and now details.
*stated characteristics*

• Brand: HaikeLite
    Model: MT03 Devourer
    Lamp Beads: Cree XHP70
    Emitters Quantity: 3
    Lumens Range: >4000 Lumens
    Luminous Flux: 9000LM
    Power: 90W
    Feature: Lanyard,Lock-out Function,Overheating Protection,Power Indicator,Stainless Steel Bezel,Tail Stand,Tripod Mount
    Function: Camping,EDC,Hiking,Household Use,Night Riding,Rescue,Search,Seeking Survival,Self-defense,Walking
    Switch Location: Side Switch
    Mode: 6 (Turbo; High; Mid; Low; Ultra Low; Moonlight)
    Battery Type: 18650
    Battery Quantity: 4
    Mode Memory: Yes
    Waterproof Standard: IPX-8 Standard Waterproof
    Working Voltage: 6V
    Reflector: Aluminum Textured Orange Peel Reflector
    Lens: Toughened Ultra-clear Double Glass Lens with Anti-reflective Coating
    Beam Distance: 150-200m
    Flashlight Processing Technology: Aerospace Grade Aluminum Body with Anti Scratching Type III Hard Anodization
    Available Light Color: Cool White
    Available color: Black
    Dimension and Weight
    Product weight: 0.604 kg
    Package weight: 0.747 kg
    Product size (L x W x H): 12.50 × 7.00 × 5.00 cm
PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE
package is simple, which is no surpise, because manufacturer is new and don`t have kinda of brandbook. Just cardboard box with small print
Фонарик поставляется в обычной коробке с небольшим принтом. Изготовитель новый, пока не успели разжиться фирменным дизайном. Тем не менее, упаковано в плане надежности неплохо.

Package includes flashlight, lanyard (just thick rope), o-rings and manual.
9b881a.jpg

da5512.jpg

8b793a.jpg

MT03 definetely looks brutal. Though it is not big 2х26650 stick, flashlight makes a certain impression – 12.5х7х5cm and 600g (without batteries).
My palms are somewhat medium size and MT03 is little bit too big for them. But i cannot say that it is uncomfortable to hold it. It`s like neither uncomfortable, nor comfortable. But, of course, switching direct grip to reverse using only one hand is a real challenge. I believe that big guys will not face such problem at all.
b45b89.jpg

48b966.jpg

f9c2f8.jpg

f8dde4.jpg

BTW, initially glass was protected with transportation film.

MT03 consists of 3 parts: head,battery compartment and tail cover.
cb0a1f.jpg

There are model name and logo printed on tail cover, which is the same that i`ve seen at olight mini intimidator, with 2 pins.
I dont like ++— batteries location and think that +-+- will be better in matter of convenience, because now it`s qiute hard to match pins with holes and close cover from 1st time. You have to get used to it.
What else about battery compartment – springs are thick (which is good) and locate only at + sides of batteries (which is not good, i think manufacturer can fix this and make dualsprings.

2b108d.jpg

d77dd1.jpg

9cc757.jpg

Knurling is rombic with tiny pit in center.
ca29e9.jpg

Threads (and machinery at all) are accurate , with lots of lubrication.
0c57c6.jpg

Here is a contact between head and battery compartment. Spring here is 1.3mm thick. I`m not sure if this is enough for 27A in turbo. Bypass (like in Convoy L6) would be cheap and reasonable improvement.
1d76a9.jpg

c040bd.jpg

MT03 has a lot of deep cooling ribs. There will be no problem with heat dissipation.
a01547.jpg

580f9b.jpg

15ec89.jpg

Button and tripod slot are located at opposite sides of head. As there is NW version, MT03 may be a good choice for photographers. I`ve seen some terribly overpriced lights at websites with goods for photo, MT03 seems to be a way better.
0e9c36.jpg

ff3f2f.jpg

b2bded.jpg

924ff0.jpg

White color of button leave impression of cheap product. Not for cheap plastic, no, here everything is ok. Just white color doesn`t suit here. I vote for grey or black.
216714.jpg

abcb66.jpg

Bezel is glued, so i was not able to take it apart. Reflector is deep, OP with 3X XHP70.
8a845c.jpg

fac2c7.jpg

8f2550.jpg

4f15ac.jpg

Here is all i can say about MT03`s appearance. Just solid flashlight, without extra decorations.
*UI
UI is simple
lCeb2mIf-sU.jpg

here is modes memory, and here is what i do not like – it also works for turbo. this may really blind you or someone else in a wide distance.m,
My suggestion is to limit mode memory to mid or high to prevent blinding.

MT03 in work
as this one is sooo bright, beamshot may be underexposed in low or overexposed in turbo , i choose last variant to show low modes, even that means too bright turbo.
894245.png

My camera lense doesnt work as human eye and doesnt show real light distribution and here it seems that there is a hotspot. In reality there is no hotspot, light is diffused
BTW, as LEDs are located in triangle, it leads to specific result – light is not round, but somewhat triangle-round, so called "Relo triangle". thouse of you who red Paul Andersons`s "Triangle Wheel" wll understand.
1b9e5c1fcd.jpg

But to see this you have to move MT03 at REALLY close distance.

What comes to charts and tech data, i recommend to use other of MT03.
I personally would like to show performance of this stuff.

My previous brightest light was L6. Take a look, not it doesn`t seem to be that bright.
mt-03-ogorod.gif

It looks like i hold percsonal supernova ) VERY floody and VERY bright.
mt-03-ogorod.gif

les-mt03.gif

the same with zoom.
les-zoomdc978.gif

Though turbo is short, such extreme brightness lets you to illumunate huge area and beam reaches quite long distance that you will not expect from flooder.
175m distance
175_1.gif

same with zoom
175cc3b8.gif

for the most of occasions mid-high are more than enough.
PERSONAL IMPRESSION
I personally think that floody light and can-size make МТ03 a good choice for village\farm\rancho or whatever outdoor. you can easily see what`s going on around in a widest area. Maybe it even can be a choice for some security, when there is no need for long beam, but for wide one.
NW may be ok for photographers.
I`m not sure about hunting and fishing.
And of course, this is a perfect "WOW!-thing" to entertaint yourself or be a gift.
Of course there is a choice of Meteor, Manker and Olight. But they are more expensive (Olight-Mecarmy) or not so bright (Manker\Meteor).
There is a really, really good coupon at Gearbest
coupon:NXMA $90.19
Links to product page: ref link(link is external) and non-ref link(link is external)

I suppose for the price of regular 26650 light, MT03 is an interesting choice for anyone who wants something REALLY bright but also wants to save some money. Of course i understand that Manker-meteor have better UI. But they are not so bright + cost more.
what else…one more time – UI should be better, i vote for no memory mode for turbo and for an intermediate mode between 150 and 1000 lums.
For the rest, by now, i`m completely satisfied with purchase.