How safe is IMR18650 with the Concept 1

CONCEPT1

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys and girls,

Im wondering how safe the Nitecore concept 1 is with the unprotected IMR18650.

Before this concept 1 i always had protected 18650 cells in my lights. My question is, i dont want to measure the voltage everytime before charging (because im lazy).

How do i use it, i use the IMR18650 only in the Concept 1, and after usage i charge the IMR18650 with my Nitecore D4 charger and put it back in the Concept 1 flashlight. My question is, is this safe to use the IMR18650/Concept 1 in this way without measurements or do i need to measure it everytime? I dont want that the flashlight explore in my hands or gets on fire or something. The Nitecore D4 charger is protected so this will prevent the battery from exploding right?

Is it possible to keep the Concept 1 running for a long time, without any risk on fire? Because the light is getting hot fast on turbo.

I recieved this light 1 week ago and i really love it, the UI is very easy and the turbo burst is very nice! I only have my concerns with the unprotected IMR18650 because i never used unprotected.

Greetings from the Netherlands!

CONCEPT1

Newly Enlightened
I see the new Nitecore NL1835HP, this is a protected 3500mah is this one safer to use?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, the imr 3100mah cell typically paired with the light has protection in it, just a higher discharge amperage allowance than most.

But the risk with unprotected is overcharge or overdischarge.

The d4 should be a reliable charger that won't overcharge it. The Concept 1 has a low voltage cutoff so it shouldn't over discharge. Thus, you should be fine.

I did a full review of the concept 1 recently, you can find it here on cpf in the reviews forum. The light steps down by 30 seconds and manages output based on temp, so don't worry too much about the heat. It won't catch fire.

(All of this is as simple of answers as possible. There are risks with any battery and extra diligence and protection isn't a bad thing. But no need to fear monger either here...)

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, the imr 3100mah cell typically paired with the light has protection in it, just a higher discharge amperage allowance than most.

But the risk with unprotected is overcharge or overdischarge.

The d4 should be a reliable charger that won't overcharge it. The Concept 1 has a low voltage cutoff so it shouldn't over discharge. Thus, you should be fine.

I did a full review of the concept 1 recently, you can find it here on cpf in the reviews forum. The light steps down by 30 seconds and manages output based on temp, so don't worry too much about the heat. It won't catch fire.

(All of this is as simple of answers as possible. There are risks with any battery and extra diligence and protection isn't a bad thing. But no need to fear monger either here...)

I prefer unprotected cells. The PCB is just another electronic component than can fail. I agree with Bdm82. The charger will prevent overcharging and the flashlight will prevent over discharging. IMR cells also provide a higher rate of discharge than protected ICR batteries. All that is required is a bit of cognizance.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with the above, but having said that...I believe anyone who uses Lithium batteries should spend the $10-$20 to buy an inexpensive digital multi-meter. Using the light as you explained above may be fine...but if you use the meter, you will educate yourself so you get a good feel about length of use and runtime. In the long run, you will be much more effective and ergo more safe in using the technologies of high performance lights and Lithium batteries. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. PS there is a thread on using a DMM here on CPF that is very informative.

proceed5

Enlightened
I have been using Unprotected IMR batteries like Nitecore 3100, AWT 3000, Sony VTC6 3120 and Li-Ion Unprotected 18650GA with the nitecore C1 and it has been working fine without any issues.

Agreed with the above comments, I also prefer Unprotected cells. Dislike PCB on cells.

edje

Newly Enlightened
Good morning Mr concept One if you read The manual you can cilinder de chapter Power tips that There is a built-in Power Checker
May I Ask Where did you buy The Light in Holland
Greetings from Roosendaal

CONCEPT1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your quick and informative responses.
Indeed i already checked the manual, but wanted to double check with you guys.

My concept 1 is coming from Alieexpress i paid 54 euros for it and 19 for the IMR18650 3100mah. I found also one or two sites in the Nethelands but the price was too high for me.