Amp draw ?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
How do you measure amp draw?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With one 6" piece of electrical tape, 2>2" strips alum. foil, and a DMM.
smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Wise guy
smile.gif
I`m serious
confused.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So was I, Ken. The measurement for current draw can easily be taken by rigging the ammeter into the circuit.
-(without shorting out the power supply). No pix capability yet, but if needed, I'll try later to xplain it simply to anyone who hasn't used it yet.
-gotta leave for work now
frown.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I think the problem is...I have one of those Radio Shack pocket digital multimeters...maybe these just don`t do it? It has d/c a/c a simble that looks like this -I>+ check...k horse shoe and then a continuity position. Will any of these work? There`s nothing that says omhs or amps or millamps.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I think the problem is...I have one of those Radio Shack pocket digital multimeters...maybe these just don`t do it? It has d/c a/c a simble that looks like this -I>+ check...k horse shoe and then a continuity position. Will any of these work? There`s nothing that says omhs or amps or millamps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta have a DMM that offers d.c. milliamp meas.-if you're on a budget, www.mcmelectronics.com (part #72-6344)-$9..
smile.gif

KenBar uses about same principle that I use....
p.s.-that 9 buck DMM is fused.

Check Ebay for a cheap meter. Or MCM, or Harbor Freight, ... Lots of options for under $20.

I went to a local pawn shop and picked this up for $40. Works like a champ and has more features than I know how to use.
wink.gif

Sorry for the long pic...
dm25xt.jpg

Happy hunting!

StuU

Enlightened
Measuring amperage with many flashlights is easy. For example-

Maglites- Pull endcap, turn switch to on, set multimeter to 2000ma, and then setting probes between exposed battery negative and non-anodized inner casing.

Nine volt lights can be checked by pulling the 9v clip on one side and inserting the meter probes between the now-exposed battery terminal and clip.

A little ingenuity will allow you to find somewhere to insert those probes into the circuit on most lights that I have worked with.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW-
Has any new Arclight purchaser (other than Brock, Chris M., or Craig) taken any current draw on measurement on their light?
Thanx,

NightShift

Enlightened
Hey Ken, i recognize those little pocket meters! We use em in computer repair class...teacher has a bunch of those
grin.gif

I still love my meter...think i got it for about $80 at radioshack...nice and rugged...while we're postin pictures...heres mine:

mymeter.JPG

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I guess this is "show and tell" day...

mymeter.jpg

The small unit on top is a Tektronix J-16 digital photometer, and the large unit on the bottom is my Fluke 8000A DMM.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
AVOsmall.jpg
Can I play too?

This is my up-to-date ultra high technology multimeter-->
tongue.gif

Actually I think it was made in the early 1960s, but is still almost spot-on accurate! The meter I normally use is a Fluke 8010A digi bench meter with LCD display (soon to be white-LED backlit) but I havn`t got a pic of that to hand. And then there`s a battery powered Precision-Gold pocket meter which is OK but nothing special.

There. Anyone else care to show off their test equipment too? I have some pics of my power supplies if anyone wants to see.....

rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
[QB

This is my up-to-date ultra high technology multimeter--> [/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shocked.gif
EEK!!
shocked.gif

Power supply... judging by the type & style of the components inside, looks like mid-1970s stuff to me.

ps1.jpg
phone3.jpg

It's almost as old as my telephone!!
blush.gif
blush.gif
tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool telephone!

<center>
psus.jpg
</center>

These are all older than I am!
On the left, my primary supply. 0-30v, 0-5A, circa late 70s as a guess. Currently firing on 7 out of its 8 output transistors though I do have a replacement one here awaiting installation.
On the right, scavenged from work and currently dead, I havn`t looked inside yet but it wouldn`t surprise me if it was first used before the moon landing took place!
On top, 12v AC 2A (modified by me to add the terminals, neon, fuse and switch, using geniune-ish vintage parts), last used to power up a home made string of LED xmas lights. Pre-WW2 era.

shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif