Arc4 RFS Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Are there any significant drawbacks to disabling the RFS Mode? I couldn't find much on it by searching, so sorry if it has already been mentioned.

I disabled it to save battery life, and to stop that "cold weather twitch" that Marc (my Arc4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) suffers from...

Is that start-up battery check the only thing I'll be missing out on?

TIA

-Allen

KingSmono

Enlightened
And yes... my girlfriend has named all (most) of my flashlights...

Marc = Arc4+
Maggie = M@G 4D
Max = MadMax+WO M@G 2AA
Still have to name my Arc AAA-P

If it helps to get her approval of my crazy addiction...WHY NOT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4 still tests the battery with the RFS off, it just will not provide a visual indicator. The tests consists of setting parameters, detecting the battery chemistry, etc. If the cell is improperly inserted or dead, it will not indicate there is a problem unless the RFS is enabled.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic
With RFS off, on inserting a fresh battery, I can still see the LED glowing and blinking dimly as the Arc4 does its bootup dance. Also, if the battery is dead, that's easy to tell because the light won't light! I think RFS mode should be disabled by default, if not removed entirely.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's handy when the battery isn't totally dead, but when it's partially depleted...

i think it's a good feature...

snook

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Rothrandir, it's a useful feature.

I'm constantly rotating partially used batteries around between different lights.

With the RFS on the Arc4+ enabled, you can get an idea of what kind of light you can expect out of a "not so fresh" cell.

paulr

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snook said:
I'm constantly rotating partially used batteries around between different lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth are you doing that? When the Arc4 first downshifts, you've got plenty of runtime left. I could see dropping the cell into a lower powered light at that point, but why put anything but a fresh cell into the Arc4?

snook

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:

Why on earth are you doing that? When the Arc4 first downshifts, you've got plenty of runtime left. I could see dropping the cell into a lower powered light at that point, but why put anything but a fresh cell into the Arc4?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got two Arc4s, one for indoor use and one for EDC outdoors. I always want the EDC one to have level 1 at the ready, for the indoor one I use dimmer settings for longer durations.

Besides, these lights are still new for me, so I'm playing with them a LOT...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.