Calling all Canadians

Lumiere

Newly Enlightened
Given the costs and occasional problems bringing parts and components in from our southern neighbors, is it feasible to do Canadian group buys? I would be interested, any one else?

Please post your level of interest and home province, maybe we can make it easier to bring in those pesky small orders.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Buying from waynej of www.elektrolumens.com is a breeze. Just email him and he'll give you a decent price on shipping. He takes money orders too. He ships via US Mail.

www.cfrlights.com has free shipping for Canadian orders. (Prices are a tiny bit higher, but you're still ahead. US Mail as well. Unfortunately, they no longer carry Arc products. Ordering from Arc directly is a PITA, since they use courier only, guaranteeing a hit at the border.

www.pocketlights.com says he uses US Mail, but I haven't ordered anything yet from them. Might soon... looking at either a UK 4AA eLed or maybe an Inova T1, assuming I can get 123's at a good price.

Buying 123 lithium cells at reasonable prices is a problem for Canadians.

Small orders that come via US Mail usually scoot across the border without added duties, GST or whatever.

BTW, I'm in Nova Scotia. What type(s) of group buys did you have in mind?

Lumiere

Newly Enlightened
What I was thinking of was 123 cells, possibly components for mods…
My idea was to have a place to make post like: " Planning to order glow powder, in the next two weeks, who needs some?" If we can combine orders it might be easier to bring in some interesting bits.

CityHunter

Newly Enlightened
Group buy from State is a good idea, especial on SureFire products,
and products shipping by UPS.

It's a terrible dream when I got a percel shipped by UPS.

Otherwise, like Pocketlight, Elektrolumens and Flashlightlens they are afforable
and I will say cheap, you don't need to wait for group buying, just order from them.

I have a good experience from FedEx, Arc flashlight ship international order by FedEx
at a reasonable price. Handeling fee is $7 (Canada Post is $5)
I got my first LS in next day.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
I was going to post here then I remembered I was in Arkansas
Glow powder I ordered comes from Canada.Doug's UBH as well as the E2C. Do not worry I promise not to call on ALL ARKANSASan's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif All jokes aside sounds like A good idea, good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
I order items regularly from the Shoppe, in case anyone is interested.

Photonboy's right about the courier and customs. I think in those cases that we should try to work with ksbman to have the item repackaged and forwarded.

The lithium batteries could be a little trickier in large quantities (DOT hazmat issues) and require forwarding by courier. From personal experience, the 72x$1.25USD 123's from Surefire would cost $3.20CAD each by the time they were delivered to my door.

But, I'm interested regardless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Seabass

Newly Enlightened
That's kinda funny cuz as I'm picking up some 123 lights I'm thinking a group order for batteries might be a good idea. I would be interested in a group buy but it depends on what it is.

Small stuff like smaller lights and mod parts haven't given me any problems with customs yet. USPS or ksbman would probably be the way to go I think.

Lumiere, I must be just down the street from you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi Lumiere:

This won't help you (given your location), but in BC, we're generally quite close to the border. I usually ship my packages to a depot in Point Roberts and then drive down there and pick them up. I then declare the items, pay tax, and come home. The main advantage is that I don't have to pay brokerage fees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This tip may help other BC Canadian friends though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I'm interested in the group buy for Surefire 123. If you guys are doing an order in Winnipeg (seeing that 2 peoples from there is interested). I'll be heading to Winnipeg in mid June or someone can drop the battery at my parents house and pickup the cash at the same time.

Seabass

Newly Enlightened
Maybe Prolepsis can pick them up from the States then drive east across Canada, dropping off batteries in each province! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Seabass said:
Maybe Prolepsis can pick them up from the States then drive east across Canada, dropping off batteries in each province! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

By the way, not sure if everyone has seen this thread, but ksbman has generously offered to receive packages in the US and then forward it to international addresses.

You can find the link here: CPF thread. I haven't used his services, but others have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif