One of the greatest invention in flashlight history IMHO is + and - buttons in MH27.

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
MH27`s UI is superb!

Almost every flashlight manufacturer has models with side button. There maybe shortcuts to lowest and max modes, but generally you have cycle through modes like 1-2-3-4-1-2..
I really dislike them because you can´t go previous mode without cycle through whole set. Just like changing car gears from 2 to 1 need to change 2->3->4->5->1...:thumbsdow

One button to operate every functions (like MH20) coming more and more complex. Keep it stupid simple!
Selector rings are good, but i still prefer MH27´s UI with preselected well separated modes instead of "infinite adjustment".

Few ideas for future models:
- camping lanterns with power button and +- buttons.
- Nitecore´s largers TM series has room enough for three buttons.
- EC4 model for example have already two buttons. Why there wouldn´t be +- funtion?
- Smaller personal type flashlight (with normal momentary-on tailcap switch) and if +- buttons won´t fit side by side, make them lenghtwise direction.

For MH27:
make it user configurable is it red or lowest white mode for - button shortcut. Or whatever user wants.

MH27`s has too many colours and/or flashing modes without real serious use. MH27 is thrower so replace colour leds with white flood led.
One more button under +- which operates independently flood light.

And/or make general/tactical modes. In general mode there are no red and blue fast strobe. Instead some slower green flashing modes for "civilian use".
And some multicolour slow flashing mode for "fun use". :)

Many Nitecore models has "standard" set of five modes, which i like: ultralow, turbo and three between them.
MH27 could have also five white modes. 1, 20, 100, 500 and 1000 lumens for example. Current set of 1, 55, 250 and 1000 lumens are good selection though: good separation between and great runtimes!

With +- platform, there is plenty of new options, instead of boring "cycle through all modes to get what you want" -flashlights. :D

New models with MH27`s UI coming up? If not, it will be sad time for flashlight world ;)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Respectfully disagree. Selector rings/mag rings/HDS Rotary UI are still superior to up-down buttons for a couple of reasons.

1. I can select the output level before I power on the light. This is a big one for me -- zero chance of a blinding flash when I'm expecting moonlight.

2. I can vary the speed with which I select my mode. Run through fast or slowly fade.

3. Lots more output levels to choose from. I know you put that as a negative but I don't see any downside to that.

4. They're generally easier to operate by blind touch and without adjusting my hand/finger position.

5. Its just more intuitive. Everybody's familiar with the concept of a volume knob or dimmer knob. No confusion, even for "new" users.

...in my humble opinion of course. But I do agree that any sort of UI that allows moving both up and down in output is a big improvement over one that doesn't. I just like my knobs. :)

nimdabew

Enlightened
I like the up/down buttons too. One of my favorite lights is a MT20C and it does nearly everything I want it to. I just wish there were more lights like it, but the Multi Tasker series are good lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the reason there are so many different flashlight models on the market is that each person likes a slightly different size, UI, LED, type of battery, etc. I'm glad you found one you like.

Personally, once I got my first Zebralight I was hooked, and I haven't found anything I like better, but I can understand that some folks might consider it too complicated.

In any case, Jauno, enjoy your MH27 : )

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 for selector ring UI [for the reasons emarkd noted, as well as a couple more].

6. Much easier to operate with gloves on [especially winter gloves].

7. Double lockout capability [for lights with a tailcap switch and selector ring].

8. Grab n' go operation [vs button UI where the light must be rotated to a specific position in the hand].

9. Keeps your hand more forward at the lights balance point [especially true with the bigger lights].

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
I don't have a MH27, but I do like the lights I have with a selector ring.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the entire SRT line as well as the MH27. The control rings on my SRT6 and original SRT7(the new SRT7GT's control ring is a mess)are still the best control ring UI's I have ever used. They are the easiest to find in the dark UI I have ever used. As for the MH27 it took a bit of getting used to the plus and minus UI that and while those buttons are not the hardest UI to find in the dark it can still take a bit of fumbling around before you feel the rubber(?)buttons. I do like my MH27 a lot though...

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not particularly interested in this light, but I do like the UI. I also like their TM16 UI...quick access to low and turbo from off. For other modes, a quick click cycled thru (and there weren't a million modes to go thru).

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the up/down buttons too. One of my favorite lights is a MT20C and it does nearly everything I want it to. I just wish there were more lights like it, but the Multi Tasker series are good lights.
Me too!

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replies. No need to argue every little things.

It´s now clear that +- buttons are not as famous as i except and hoped for.

In flashlight industry when one manufacturer brings something new it is often copied by dozen of manufacturers.
MH27 has been on market under two years and is still only +- UI so far.

Keitho

Enlightened
The greatest invention in flashlight history was the internet forum. Without it, how could I publicly and anonymously disagree with the well thought out, polite opinions of other flashlight owners?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The greatest invention in flashlight history was the internet forum. Without it, how could I publicly and anonymously disagree with the well thought out, polite opinions of other flashlight owners?

You forgot "politely". As long as we're politely disagreeing then all we're doing is having a discussion, which is really the point of all this anyway. :)