1 X CR123/1 X AA Flashlights. Is the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA the only one ?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been a CPF member for several years now and I have acquired a nice collection of Flashlights over the last number of years. However, now (when I get the Bug) to buy a new LED Flashlight, I won't consider a Flashlight unless it will accept different type Cells. I.E. 18650's or CR123, AA or 14500's and CR123 or AA's. That being said, I really like the approach of Streamlight's ProTac 1L-1AA Flashlight which can use either a single AA or a single CR123 Cell withOUT having to change out the tube. This clever design is such that you just "drop in" either a single AA or a single CR123 and that's it! I own this light and like it (although it has yet to see much use). I purchased the ProTac 1L as a "backup/emergency" light. My EDC is a KLARUS XT2C Tactical (1 X 18650 or 2 X CR123) which I find fits my needs beautifully. All this being said, it would appear that the Streamlight ProTac 1L is the ONLY light of it's type presently on the market. I would buy another of this type light if say Fenix, Nitecore or Klarus made such a model (if for nothing else than to just compare).
If anyone knows of another maker that uses a simple "drop in" battery design (like the Streamlight 1L) I would appreciate if you would list it to this thread. Thanks.

SixCats!

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been a CPF member for several years now and I have acquired a nice collection of Flashlights over the last number of years. However, now (when I get the Bug) to buy a new LED Flashlight, I won't consider a Flashlight unless it will accept different type Cells. I.E. 18650's or CR123, AA or 14500's and CR123 or AA's. That being said, I really like the approach of Streamlight's ProTac 1L-1AA Flashlight which can use either a single AA or a single CR123 Cell withOUT having to change out the tube. This clever design is such that you just "drop in" either a single AA or a single CR123 and that's it! I own this light and like it (although it has yet to see much use). I purchased the ProTac 1L as a "backup/emergency" light. My EDC is a KLARUS XT2C Tactical (1 X 18650 or 2 X CR123) which I find fits my needs beautifully. All this being said, it would appear that the Streamlight ProTac 1L is the ONLY light of it's type presently on the market. I would buy another of this type light if say Fenix, Nitecore or Klarus made such a model (if for nothing else than to just compare).
If anyone knows of another maker that uses a simple "drop in" battery design (like the Streamlight 1L) I would appreciate if you would list it to this thread. Thanks.

SixCats!

For me this light would have been the perfect EDC however with no capability for 18350 or rcr123 it is not cost effective for me.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Nextorch TA10. It does support the use of 14500 and 16340 and has the same concept as the 1L-1AA. The protac and Nextorch will both also work with aaa batteries.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Gerber Cortex (1 AA) line and Streamlight Sidewinder (2 AA )line come to mind, but I have never owned any of them.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Boris74, are you saying the 1L-AA will also work using a "AAA" battery ? If so, that is AWESOME! I have to try it out!

Archmedes......I'm not understanding your question. Could you please explain. I think your asking if there is an "adapter" needed for the ProTac ? If so, the answer is no.

Cobraman502.....ugggh......it's bad enough I've gone from (straight up) from AA & AAA's to CR123's to 18650's to 14500's. Now, I reading/learning about 16340's, 18350's and RCR123's!
It never ends!

Regards,

SixCats!

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

SixCats!

It's not a traditional flashlight (more of a headlamp/task light) but the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II works exactly the same way as the Protac 1l-1aa.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Oooh FANTASTIC! Boris74, THANK YOU for mentioning that the Streamlight ProTac 1L-AA can also use "AAA" cells. I just tried it out with a AAA and (not only did it work) it was BRIGHT!
No doubt about it, the Streamlight ProTac 1L-AA is my MOST versatile EDC Flashlight to date considering it uses three different (single) Cell CR123, AA or AAA Cell. I sure hope other Companies follow suit.

SixCats!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1L-1AA runs just fine on AAA's, even uber cheap no name Chinese zinc-chloride cells will work, though not at quite full brightness. AAA Eneloops work just as good as AA Eneloops, except of course the AAA's have shorter run times.

Scourie

Enlightened
I bought a pair of Sunwayman S10A's a while back with the specific intention of making them "multi-fuel". I bored them to accept CR123's with the aid of a insulated spacer so now I can use them with AA, 14500, CR123 and 16340. I should also make a spacer for AAA's. Just in case :thumbsup:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi xxo and Scourie,

Yes sir, I think it wonderful that I now have a "Survival (if you will)" Flashlight that can accept so many different Cell types (especially the most common AA & AAA's Cells).

Scourie, sounds like you made yourself a sweeeeet multi type cell light! I'll have to check to see if my ProTac will support 14500's and 16340's. Also, I wonder if the likes of

Energizer Nickel Metal Hydride (
NiMH) AA

would work with my ProTac ? Man, this is stating to get confusing.

SixCats!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I run R/CR2, R/CR123A, AA/A, 10440/14500/17500 in my Peak Logan ... but I do use adapters :shrug:

I am a big fan of multi-fuel lights, too, and also have quite a few C3 / 9P / G3 hosts, for 2x AA / 3x CR123A / 2x 17500 options :)

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That whole 1x aa or 1x123 is a nice setup. I use the 1x aa on my Streamlight mostly but knowing it can really come to life with that 3+ volt cell is like having an 850 cfm Holley carb on a nice 350 chevy engine. Minimal effort and she really goes....

And yes a triple a will make it go when in a pinch.