• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WANTED Custom LED bicycle taillight

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Have any of you modders built a red flashing LED tail light for a bicycle?? I would be interested in something using AA batteries with brightness approaching one of Charlies' LGI's. I have a couple of flashers with multiple LED's that can be cannibalized for their flasher units, if needed.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LGI's use a one watt Luxeon Star while the flashers use 3mm or 5mm LEDs. I have a couple that I use when I'm riding and get caught out in the dark. I see other bikers using them when I'm driving my car and they are very visible - almost to the point of distraction.

I actually think that it would dangerous to use that bright of a rear facing light. It could be blinding to drivers following and approaching from behind.

TheFire

Enlightened
I'd be willing to give it a shot. How important is battery life vs. brightness. It might be good to use a downboy sandwich module, and use the flasher in conjunction with that. PM me if you're interested and want to discuss things more...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just build a white 4 LD 1 watt LS 4AA driven LS with some blinker circuit cannibalized from a 2AA red blinking tail light. Pics will be up hopefuly by tomorrow, 24 hours from now. To say that this attracts attention, is like saying the Super LGI is very dim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And before anyone ask, I've not caused any road traffic accidents with this, yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blinker circuit from the normal tail light might not have the current needed to drive the Luxeons directly

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured a 300++ ma at normal (no blinking) and a very fast changing peak of 300ma to 1.2 amps at blinking mode. Hence the 4AA needed to push the current to that level, 3AAs would have not powered it up to 1.2 amps. I wonder why though.