Review: Nitecore HC65 (Multi-Beam Headlamp, Red, HICRI, XM-L2, 1x18650 Rechargeable)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore HC65 from Nitecore for the review

The HC65 is a versatile headlamp, featuring a flood HICRI beam, a flood Red beam and a throwy beam. The headlamp is powered by a single 18650 and is rechargeable via micro USB.

The HC65 comes in this box
Nitecore_HC65_01.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_02.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_03.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_04.jpg

In the box: the Light, micro USB cable, a 18650 3400mAh battery, spare o-rings, manual, headband
Nitecore_HC65_05.jpg

The HC65 shares some designs element of the HC60
Nitecore_HC65_06.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_07.jpg

The headband is made of plastic with some rubber elements molded in that keep the light in place
Nitecore_HC65_08.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_14.jpg

On one side of the headlamp you have a regular tailcap, with anodized threads, that encloses the slot for a 18650 battery.
Nitecore_HC65_10.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_11.jpg

On the other side there is a double stage switch with rubber cover, underneath it the micro USB port for charging the battery
Nitecore_HC65_09.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_13.jpg

The HC65 next to the provided battery
Nitecore_HC65_12.jpg

As before mentioned, the light has different LED emitters: a red one, a flood HICRI one, and a XM-L2 in a smooth reflector (in reality there is a small blue LED that acts as a battery indicator and is positioned nearby the RED and HICRI one).
Nitecore_HC65_18.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_15.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_16.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_17.jpg

With the headband
Nitecore_HC65_19.jpg

Beamshots
Wallshots
Nitecore_HC65_22.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_23.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_24.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_25.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_26.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_27.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_28.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_29.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_30.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_31.jpg

Outdoor shots
Nitecore_HC65_20.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_21.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_32.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_33.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_34.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_35.jpg

Nitecore_HC65_36.jpg

Output and runtime
Tested with the provided battery
Nitecore_HC65_40.png

Nitecore_HC65_37.png

Nitecore_HC65_38.png

Nitecore_HC65_39.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
I like the UI with direct access to last used mode, highest, lowest mode.
I am usually not a great fan of red beams, but on the HC65 the red beam is quite bright and with a perfectly flood beam (IE no artifacts or shadow cast); and the same beam quality is found on the HICRI mode. They both have a small output of few lumens, enough to see around you in complete darkness, or to do closeup work in the darkness without being blinded and preserving low light vision.
For seeing at further distance and for high outputs, you still have the XM-L2 emitter in the smooth reflector. Although even this beam is quite usable for walking around, since the spill arrives at your feet as you can see in the beamshots.
I don't like so much the fact that the headband mount is "proprietary", and the fact that if you are a unorganized person (as myself), you could lose the tailcap during the charging process. Regarding this, I would like that tailcap to be secured to the body via a small string of glued cord.
The battery indicator / locator are easy to understand and useful.
I wish the red and the HICRI modes had more brightness and more outputs, and the XM-L2 came in a NW tint.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
I concur with losing the tailcap. Maybe there's a simple aftermarket accessory solution?

I would like to see a rotary UI or up/down buttons. I see no need to be different adjusting lumens vs. volume on my audio devices. If I had one button to cycle through sound volume on my audio devices, I'd be deaf; cycling through lumens is going to make me blind!

Budda

Enlightened
I correct a mistake in my review: the shortcut to turbo is not a "momentary on", but a regular turbo mode.