Which 18650?

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
Not new to flashlights, but new to rechargeables.

I know, use the search function. I did. 2 hours later, I'm more confused than before. I have a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 (V2). The flashlight I use most is a Lumintop Prince, but I also have a Olight s20, Fenix PD31, SF G2 with Klarus (I think?) LED drop in, and SF G2X LE (I think, 2 mode OEM LED) on my rifle.

Runtime and low self discharge (and a flashlight that doesn't explode in my back pocket too often) are more important to me than peak turbo brightness (modern LED flashlights are plenty bright for my needs).

I know I want protected cells, and they have to be button top. I know I'll end up leaving the cells on the charger overnight, and running them in the flashlight until they die before recharging, at least sometimes. I see batteries from 2000-3600 mAh, from $5-$35. I know that known brands are better (safer and better performance) than cheap Chinese knock offs, but I also know that a lot of the smaller brands are just rebranded name brand cells, but I don't know which ones.

I'm looking at http://goinggear.com/flashlights/batteries/olight-protected-3400-mah-lg-18650-3-6-volt-battery.html and https://www.batteryjunction.com/186...h_return=all&Catalogbattamperehour=2993||3600 , but I know I'm not qualified to make the best decision.

I'm not a heavy user, and a set of primary 123s often lasts me a couple of months.
What's the best choice under $20 ea?

Thanks in advance,

Medusa Oblongata

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Look for Sanyo NCR18650GA protected cells at Orbtronic or Lion Wholesale or another reputable dealer. I don't think it's a good idea to leave Li-ion cells in a charger overnight while you sleep.

Last edited:

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
Panasonic protected cells would also be a good way to go. As for leaving them on a charger overnight, Ive read multiple times that it isnt a good idea. I would think with protected cells and a good smart charger (Nitecore D2/D4 or SC4) it shouldnt be an issue but I am not an authority on this topic.

jimbo231

Enlightened
Yes ....I would never charge unsupervised or leave them on the charger longer then they need to be no matter what charger...last thing you need is a fire while sleeping....

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a set of primaries lasts you several months, how long would it take to go through the same amount of money buying primaries as you would spend on rechargeable cells? If you think the break-even point is greater than 2 years, then you're probably better off just sticking with primaries.

However, this assumes that you're not interested in non-economic advantages of li-ion cells (being able to top off, greater current capacities, etc).

--flatline

cactus man

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that some of the 18650 protected button top batteries will vary in size slightly in length and width.
I have a FENIX TK11 and I have found the Keep-power 18650 3400mah protected battery is a bit larger
in diameter and thus will not slide into the flashlight.

So..do consider the battery dimensions when you select a battery.

Cactus Man

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that some of the 18650 protected button top batteries will vary in size slightly in length and width............
Same here. The 3500mAh NCR18650GA battery is a little bigger than its predecessor, the 3400mAh NCR18650B and thus by the time you fit it with a protection pcb and an additional wrapper and label........I found it to be a little tight in a couple of my lights.

..........I know I want protected cells, and they have to be button top...........
A sure fit for you would be a 3400mAh NCR18650B battery that someone has fitted with a protection circuit. Several good brands in this area. If you're looking at a high drain battery need, you'd have to look at a different battery.

My favorite battery is the NCR18650GA (unprotected). It still has a raised top. It's not a nipple top but maybe it could be classified as a button top.

Last edited: