Nitecore MH20 disassembly

flashlightguy84

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!I have a dead Nitecore MH20 that I'm looking to disassemble. I've already removed the lens, bezel, reflector, and desoldered the LED. I'm now stuck, however. Since the LED tested good, I'd like to remove the driver circuitry to check for loose connections or bad solder joints that I've seen reported elsewhere. I tried to poke the driver board out with a punch but was unsuccessful, and I didn't want to apply too much force for fear of damaging the board. Does anyone have any experience disassembling an MH20? Do I need to use heat to break up any adhesive? Do I need to remove the switch first? Any help will be appreciated.Thanks and have a great day!-Jeremy

flashlightguy84

Newly Enlightened
So, I solved my own problem. Turns out the main circuit board is glued to the inside of the case with some pretty serious glue. I covered the switch button with kapton tape and heated the head of the flashlight with a heat gun until it was much too hot to handle. After much heating, I was able to poke the board out from the lens end by sticking a 16ga blunt syringe needle through the screw hole that's under the reflector. As for the funky retaining ring that holds the switch in, I put the light in a vise and used a hammer and punch to screw it out.

If anyone wants pictures, please reply here and I'll be happy to put some up.

Regards,

-Jeremy

steve500

Newly Enlightened
Awesome you figured that out, pretty good determination. ;)

I have an MH20 myself that has been very, very reliable. It's my favorite EDC light I've owned. I would love to change the LED diode itself with something a little warmer/maybe just higher CRI. Anyone know of a good LED I could look for that will match the current driver output? Your post here makes me feel more confident now that I've found someone that's been able to desolder the LED.

Latu2006

Newly Enlightened
So, I solved my own problem. Turns out the main circuit board is glued to the inside of the case with some pretty serious glue. I covered the switch button with kapton tape and heated the head of the flashlight with a heat gun until it was much too hot to handle. After much heating, I was able to poke the board out from the lens end by sticking a 16ga blunt syringe needle through the screw hole that's under the reflector. As for the funky retaining ring that holds the switch in, I put the light in a vise and used a hammer and punch to screw it out.If anyone wants pictures, please reply here and I'll be happy to put some up.Regards,-Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,Sorry for digging this up :)I'm disassembling my MH20 to check for errors, and currently stuck at the removing reflector step.Can you help me with the instruction? It would be great if u can share all the disassembling pics or video.Much appreciate.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Hi Latu, flashlightguy 84 was last active on the forum on 4/8/18, these two posts were his only posts...
Perhaps someone else out there can help you.