interesting LED question

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I plan on building a LED monitor for my case fans in my new computer that I will be building. I plan to control the fan speeds with rheostats and the LEDs will indicate how fast the fans are spinning by lighting up in order as I turn the rheostat up. These LEDs will be running off of a 12V computer power supply. What would be the easiest way to do something like this? Place different resistors before the LEDs so that only certain ones light up as I turn the rheostat up? There could be an easier way to make a this monitor but Im not sure how I would do it. I plan on running 5 LEDs. Id also like to know how I could figure out what resistors need to be put in place.

thx any suggestions would be appreciated.

peace,
eramus

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Eramus, well the only sad thing easier, that I can think of (and understand I am not teck minded) might be to attach a resistor (after some carefull testing) to only one led for each fan...in parallel with the fan...as the power rose to the fan the led would get brighter...as I said, pretty sad thought/idea...but much less complex. Hope some other members can give you better idea`s.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If no one has any ideas here you can check out www.hardocp.com and they keep tabs on stuff like that for computer cases. www.plycon.com has that type of stuff in and out of stock. Well, neon lights for computer cases anyways. I thought they had an LCD monitor that fit in a 5.25" bay. I'll check to see if they still do.