Fenix FD65 [review]

soren-hamburgo

Newly Enlightened
-- for submission in the Reviews forum --

Hello,

my first post in this forum is going to be a review of the Fenix FD65 zoom flashlight. The torch was given to me by Fenix for reviewing.

2017-10-0616.26.07u4pge.jpg

The torch comes in a nice and sturdy box with a proper padding on the inside to keep the torch safe during shipment.

2017-10-0616.32.46ahp1b.jpg

2017-10-0616.31.22r2ral.jpg

The box has the following content:

• the torch itself
  • a carrying case with attachment loops for a belt and a velcro fastening on the front (not sure what that is for, the torch sits very secure in the case already)
  • a lanyard that goes on the bottom of the lamp
  • a manual (printed in size 6 or something, too small for my old eyes, with a box of that size I don´t see why this could not be improved, having rather a decent size English manual in 12pt rather than 52 Eastern European languages in 6pt)
  • a spare o-ring

2017-10-0616.28.49y8pk8.jpg

The torch weights 623 grams with batteries, measures 152-158 max. length (depending on position of focussable head), has a diameter of 51mm at the body and 61mm on the head.

The touch and feel of the torch is very good, the outer surface is not slippery due to the grooves. And it is slightly top-heavy which I find quite comfortable and assuring.

2017-10-0616.23.180eptu.jpg

2017-10-0616.23.56fioko.jpg

Comparing the size to other torches, the FD65 is at the upper end (but has also more power than Dr. Pepper
:D)

2017-10-0616.22.39fapng.jpg

The torches you see are in order from left to right:

1. Fenix FD65
  2. Imalent DT70
  3. Olight X7R
  4. softdrink

Now let´s have a closer look at the head of the torch. The front part is smooth like silk while there is one ring with grooves at the bottom of the rotating head.

2017-10-0616.20.47i4p3l.jpg

Looking into the head from the front there are three neutral-white Cree XHP35 HI leds.

2017-10-0616.13.12vbrqc.jpg

They are not perfectly centered, but good enough.

The lenses in front of each led are set a little lower into the front glass. Apart from where the light exits the rest of the glass front is frosted. There is no additional glass or otherwise protection on the lenses.

2017-10-0616.17.0304p9d.jpg

The actually new feature about this torch is its focus functionality. In order focus or change the angle the light is emitted one has to twist the head on above mentioned ring with grooves. This is done stepless and quite hard in the beginning - but to be fair, the manufacturer points this out in the manual and I guess after some use this will be easier.

However, although no one wants it being loose I still could imagine that the resistance might be a little to hard for some users even after some use, especially when operated with one hand. And for use with gloves the friction of the grooves is not enough.

2017-10-0616.17.44tuo5b.jpg

The focus is working by shifting the head about 6 mm to the front or retracts it in the opposite direction. When being in full focus the torch is just about 3% less brighter which is quite outstanding.

This is how it looks with no focus, ie the widest emitting angle.

2017-10-0616.19.061nrhe.jpg

And this is how it looks when in focus, ie the smallest exit angle.

2017-10-0616.18.32wrouk.jpg

The tailcap has two slits to attach the lanyard. For those who prefer their own, thicker lanyards for use with gloves etc., the slits appear to be too small, and might have to be extended with a some small rope in between. Bearing in mind that the lamp is not very light with its 4 batteries this issue might be taken into consideration by the manufacturer (of course without sacrificing the tail stand capability).

2017-10-0616.13.47a3p5n.jpg

Speaking of tail stand: no problem, rock solid.

A mechanical lockout is possible but needs a lot of twists! Eleven on my count, I haven´t tested for waterproofness in lock out, but would not advise on trying.

The battery barrel is also covered in those groves.

2017-10-0616.14.35oyqri.jpg

The thread is cleanly cut and also lubricated.

2017-10-0616.11.06k4r73.jpg

At the bottom of the lamp there is a 1/4" thread for tripods.

2017-10-0616.15.113js1z.jpg

Looking at the inside, there is a rotating disc with the four pins. This system is known to have caused problems with other manufacturers, but has a good reputation with Fenix.

2017-10-0616.08.45g3pbu.jpg

In the inside of the barrel there are four springs of which two have a brass head. Unfortunately, the marking of how to insert the batteries is a) in the middle of the bottom and b) very small, both being very inconvenient for use.

2017-10-0616.07.56zcr2o.jpg

The batteries needed to operate the Fenix FD65 are 4x 18650 lithium-ion (rechargeable) batteries. According to the manual you must not use other combinations like eight 16340 formats.

The batteries must not exceed 69,5 mm in lenght and 18,7 mm in width and can have either button-top or flat-top.

Two cells are being inserted with heads down and two the other way around.

2017-10-0615.31.31f1qh8.jpg

A great feature of the torch is the possibility to run the device from only two 18650 batteries owing to the well thought-through wiring inside the lamp (2S2P). This fall-back option enhances the usability of the torch greatly in my opinion.

Sadly, like with the above mentioned marking of the barrel, it is not so easy to insert the batteries into their correct positions - especially not in dim light or pitch dark. I believe the designers could easily develop some kind of notch on the outside etc...

2017-10-0615.30.31e9qy1.jpg

Before moving onto its use, let´s have a brief look at the provided case. It is thick and padded and of good quality.

2017-10-0616.27.175yrjq.jpg

As said at beginning of the review, there is a velcro strap which has no obvious necessity in my eyes. I guess I would strap it to the back of the pouch during use, because the torch has such a (nicely) firm position in the pouch (with 60% weight below its opening) that I don´t see the danger of falling out. Well, it´s up to one´s taste I guess.

2017-10-0616.27.556epxv.jpg

Adding the final touch of versatiliy, there is a velcro fastened loop for the belt and a hook (for a carabiner etc.?).

2017-10-0616.26.337hqls.jpg

The torch is being operated with two rubber-covered switches with a decent pressure-point. Since they stick out you can easily feel them in the dark, but not with thicker gloves - thin ones might be ok. The left one has the marking L for low and the right one H for high.

The switching scheme is dead easy: one can decrease brightness with a click on L and increase by one level by clicking H. The complete scheme is as follows:

• start in low mode (150 lumen)
    • press L for 0.5s
  • start in high mode (1,200 lumen)
    • press H for 0.5s
  • switch off
    • either L or H for 0.5s
  • switching between modes
    • click L briefly to decrease brightness
    • click H briefly to increase brightness
  • key lock
    • hold both switches for 3s
  • SOS
    • press L for 1.5s
  • strobe
    • press H for 1.5s

2017-10-0616.12.310mpyz.jpg

For those with good eyes and bad memory there are little pictograms for the SOS- and the strobe-mode.

2017-10-0616.11.54y2o12.jpg

The beam angles are quite large.

This is in flood-position:

2017-10-0616.06.55tmor2.jpg

and this is spot-position:

2017-10-0616.04.129pq87.jpg

The whitewall shot reveals the neutral white tint of the lamp. When not in focus (wide beam) there is a clear light impression without shadows or reflections. Only on the outside of the circle there is a yellow corona visible.

2017-10-0616.01.34rfr2b.jpg

This corona is still visible in focussed position of the lamp-head. The inner corona around the spot is slightly warmer in tint and the spot itself has small shadows.

2017-10-0616.00.2828qvv.jpg

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) could not be detected, nor made visible with the camera.

2017-10-0616.02.25wbolo.jpg

The lowest setting of the torch is ECO which is still rather bright - but again, a question of taste.

2017-10-0715.22.143rpio.jpg

When set at wide angle (ie not in focus) the torch has full flood characteristics and a very even illumination. When in full focus, the Fenix FD65 is more of an allrounder compared to other lamps of that kind (see images). Although there were some flaws in the whitewall shot, there are not shortcomings in the field, except the little yellow corona.

2017-10-0701.11.59obulj.jpg

2017-10-0701.12.4095ubq.jpg

2017-10-0701.14.04vsus2.jpg

2017-10-0701.14.56amued.jpg

2017-10-0701.21.29huulk.jpg

2017-10-0701.20.542ouo4.jpg

2017-10-0701.15.44a7uab.jpg

2017-10-0701.16.22a9u7v.jpg

2017-10-0701.17.56s5usl.jpg

2017-10-0701.17.12zwufb.jpg

2017-10-0701.22.23koujx.jpg

2017-10-0701.23.44aaue0.jpg

A few last words to the lamp´s brightness: this is what the manufacturer says.

IMG_6744.jpg

RS.FREAK, with whom I co-operated on this review, did some own measurements in his lab, using some of his cool tools (check out his fantastic self-made stuff and other measurements here: http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/rs-freaks-lumenmessungen-in-einer-diy-ulbrichtkugel.57382/)

2017-05-0720.34.22m2l6s.jpg

Results of his measurements are as follows (using Samsung INR 18650-30Q 3000mAh)

Brightness according to manufacturer: 3,800 lm
Actual brightness with cold start: 3,674 lm (in full spot 3% less)
Actual brightness after 30s: 3,471 lm (in full spot 3% less)

Spot: 45,827 lux
Flood: 1,994 lux

He also carried out a runtime test under the following conditions:

First test with an additional ventilator to cool down the lamp. In use again the Samsung INR 18650-30Q 3000mAh at a voltage of 4.2V. After 7 minutes the ventilator was not enough any more and the torch stepped down one level of brightness. The lamp was stepped up immediately using the H-switch. Shortly after, it dimmed down again. The surface temperature of the FD65 was 47°C max.

After another 60 min. another attempt was made to increase the brightness of the lamp again, the measured brightness gained by this at that point was nearly the full rated brightness with 3,551 lm.

The voltage of the batteries was 3.78V after those first 60 min. The torch can deliver appr. 1,700 lm permenantly.

Results of this runtime tests are as follows:

laufzeit1fd65yypza.jpg

The second measurement was without additional cooling, only holding the torch with bare hands at ambient room temperature. After 4,5 min. the torch stepped down to 1,633 lm, the surface temp. at that point was 51°C. Ouch!

laufzeit2fd65zoqnm.jpg

From 3.2V voltage the torch reduces its brightness levels one after another, eventually reaching low level and indicating this by a few sporadic flashes. The torch did not shut off before reaching 2.92V!

To put it a nutshell:

The Fenix FD65 is an innovative and well-built torch. It convinces with its excellent and stable brightness measurement and a very simple user interface. The driver of the Cree leds is very good, even with half-empty batteries the torch is still able to deliver the full brightness. On the downside are the slightly too bright ECO-mode.

Also, as with most "tactical" lamps, the black colour combined with the black carrying pouch makes it hard to find when most needed - in the darkness. For all the time I do not spent on the battlefield, but working in the forest, which is basically all the time, the textures of the focus ring and the switches are not clear enough, especially with gloves at work or in winter. The same goes for the markings in the barrel for inserting the batteries. It takes a bit the fun out of the otherwise brilliant emergency-mode feature of using only two cells.

Still, the torch is a very good piece of kit in everyone´s collection - bright and long-running and simple to use - and yet not too bulky. Nice!

Soren from Hamburg

The review was made in co-operation with RS.FREAK from the German-speaking flashlight forum "Taschenlampen-forum.de", especially adding additional views on handling and use of the torch. His review can be found here:

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/review-fenix-fd65.58970/

Thanks, Jan, especially for the brilliant images and the electronic measurements!

snakyjake

Enlightened
Finally....a simple(r) interface!!!!

"The left one has the marking L for low and the right one H for high. The switching scheme is dead easy: one can decrease brightness with a click on L and increase by one level by clicking H"

I would like to see a rechargeable version and a battery indicator.

"black colour combined with the black carrying pouch makes it hard to find"

Ideally there could be a low power red beacon light to make it easy to find. This could be the battery indicator lights.

soren-hamburgo

Newly Enlightened
Finally....a simple(r) interface!!!!

"The left one has the marking L for low and the right one H for high. The switching scheme is dead easy: one can decrease brightness with a click on L and increase by one level by clicking H"

Yes, that is really a plus.

I would like to see a rechargeable version and a battery indicator.
Interesting, what is the reason for that? I like the low maintenance costs, not being dependent on propriatary power packs and more over the possibility to "recharge" the torch in a second, rather than waiting for hours at home before having another go with it.

"black colour combined with the black carrying pouch makes it hard to find"

Ideally there could be a low power red beacon light to make it easy to find. This could be the battery indicator lights.

That would be a good idea. Even easier would be a yellow housing, but I am aware that I am one out of one million flashaholics to prefer this. Maybe I should become fireman :)

colight

Enlightened
soren-hamburgo, thank you for this great review! I've been considering and reconsidering this light as a possibility for a long time now, and this review has tipped the scales even more towards a want (must-have!).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you soren-hamburgo for a valuable review!

I find FD65 a very interesting flashlight. First of all: neutral tint always catches my attention. Apart from that I am not a fan of memorized last used brightness level; pretty often I will be unsure of the last used level resulting in a cycling through the modes to be sure.
The UI of FD65 is brilliant. I will always know the mode when I put on the light: 150 or 1200lm. If I want 400lm I will turn it on at L followed by a short click. If I want 3800lm I will do the same with H button. The possibility to decrease the brightness without cycling through the highest mode is excellent. 1/4" thread for tripods is another great feature.
I will seriously consider to get this light!

maukka

Enlightened
And better yet, the zooming mechanism is very efficient compared to your typical aspheric zoomies. The output doesn't drop to a fraction compared to the flood lumens when you zoom it in.

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to see this light made with a 2x 26650 or maybe 2x 21700 body. I really just don't care for the soda can lights.

Several years ago, I took a chance on the FD-40 and it has turned out to be one of my all time favorite lights because of the real world usefulness of the smooth wide beam. All I could ask for is better heat sinking or efficiency to allow the light to stay in the brightest mode longer and maybe the new two button L/H interface.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
And better yet, the zooming mechanism is very efficient compared to your typical aspheric zoomies. The output doesn't drop to a fraction compared to the flood lumens when you zoom it in.

Great! Another good argument for this light.

I'd love to see this light made with a 2x 26650 or maybe 2x 21700 body. I really just don't care for the soda can lights.

Several years ago, I took a chance on the FD-40 and it has turned out to be one of my all time favorite lights because of the real world usefulness of the smooth wide beam. All I could ask for is better heat sinking or efficiency to allow the light to stay in the brightest mode longer and maybe the new two button L/H interface.

I have FD40 and it's pretty good. But it's very easy to accidently push the button and step up the mode resulting in too fast drain of the battery. The highest mode should not be included in the memory. While I find the UI of FD65 to be brilliant I also like the UI of the larger models of Thrunite flashlights: direct access to firefly and turbo, who are not included in the memory!

soren-hamburgo

Newly Enlightened

Hello and yes, I also find this format, despite the technical brilliance of the light, rather bulky. I used to prefer the D-Cell Maglites over the C-Cells for their better grip 100 years ago :laughing:, especially with gloves, but the soda can is a bit too much for my taste. Lesson learned :)

Best
Soren

Bruno28

Enlightened
So I ended up getting a Fenix FD65 to try out the focus feature.

What I realized is that it gets hot!
Also once it gets hot, the spot focus is not as narrow and you actually get a better smaller spot if you go back to flood by rotating 1/4 of the ring range.
Anyone noticed this? I made a video of me rotating the ring and you can notice how the spot goes small then increases a bit once you hit the spot ring limit.

Let me know if anyone noticed this or did I get a bad verion?

See video 1 of the ring rotation and focus. You can see that it overshoot. This is only when the light goes hot.
https://youtu.be/sZ0kEaEJoaM

Video 2. A time lapse of the light as it gets hot. You can see how the focus of the beam changes in the 5 mins. Then when it cools down it goes back to normal.
https://youtu.be/bKqtMsps6M8

Kean

Newly Enlightened
Actually it makes perfect sense for the zoom to overshoot like that. This is why all telephoto/telescope lenses have their beyond infinity focus function. Under normal temperatures (20-30 deg C) the lens can normally focus past infinity making any horizon shot out of focus so a photographer must verify their focus before the shot is taken. When the lens is out in the cold (0 to-40 C) the lens barrel will shrink causing the "infinity" mark to become 100-500 meters (depending on focal length) and true infinity focus to be much closer to the hard stop of the focus ring. The FD 65 is behaving in the same way (only you're experiencing it in reverse). When the barrel of the FD 65 warms up (51 deg C as mentioned in the review) it expands causing the focus hard stop to go "beyond" spot and "defocus" the way you mentioned. It's normal.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see now that this light is discontinued. Wonder why? Finally a Fenix with very good UI, and now gone.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who knows why this light is discontinued? It should not without reason, and I have hard to believe it's because it was not attractive with its neutral tint and excellent UI. Has it been some issue with the function of the light?
I wonder because I consider to grab one from a dealer who still has it in stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts