Suggestions for a UV Led flashlight

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello
Please, has someone any suggestion for a small UV flashlight on AA or AAA size? Thanks a lot. G

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There are plenty of cheap coin cell squeeze lights with UV LEDs in them. Also there are several brands of invisible UV ink with UV LED squeeze lights or pen lights that are sold as children's toys. Generally these fall in the 395-405nm range which is technically NUV.

The real 365nm UV LEDs are a little more expensive than the toy ones, but not that much more.

What are you looking to fluoresce?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has two dedicated UV lights that they market as 'gem' lights, the Gem8UV and Gem10UV. Both are 3000 mW output at 365 nm. The Gem8UV has its lens fastened directly to the LED, and is designed for closer work. The Gem10UV has the standard reflector setup and reaches further out. The Nitecore Store only has a listing for the Gem10UV of $59.95. All of the Gem series will work with two CR123, two RCR123, or one 18650.

Nitecore has other lights that have UV output as part of their offerings as well.

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello, thanks to everyone! You gave me a lot of suggestions. I just have a ARC AAA UV led flashlight but I don-t want use it, is a part of my ARC collection and I am looking a more common UV flashlight but not a chinese cheaper one. I need it for theater show small application. Many thanks. G

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a quality emitter for improved performance, and be careful about shining it or having it reflected in your, or someone else's eyes. (You may know this already but we can guarantee you that others curious about this do not know the potential long term dangers of UV light)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised no one suggested yet Jetbeam Jet-UV. I think they come in 2 anodized colors, red and blue hosts. There was a time last year some resellers had them for $12, but now looks like all prices are between $18-$22. Maybe a coupon code still works at gearbest for $12? I have been meaning to get one, afraid I will lose my arc if I keep carrying it.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprised no one suggested yet Jetbeam Jet-UV. I think they come in 2 anodized colors, red and blue hosts. There was a time last year some resellers had them for $12, but now looks like all prices are between $18-$22. Maybe a coupon code still works at gearbest for $12? I have been meaning to get one, afraid I will lose my arc if I keep carrying it.

The Jet-UV is what I usually carry due to the small size and lower wavelength.Reasonably priced,works well and is better quality than the typical cheap 395+ UV lights I have encountered.

Inova X5 UV. Good enough for TSA! ;)

I use the X5 UV sometimes (it also seems to provide some of the lower wavelength) but it is larger and requires 2XCR123s. it does provide a broader coverage than the Jet-UV.

The new LD02 V2.0 is nothing short of amazing. $30, dual spectrum UV365nm and 3000K HighCRI.

That light definitely has my interest!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The Jetbeam looks interesting; thanks. As far as testing for true 365nm output, I have a dichroic bandpass filter for 365nm. It attenuates everything above and below that wavelength. When I added one to my 365nm Nichia UV LED flashlight, it blocked all of the visible light with only minor insertion loss at the desired wavelength, so I know that chip is living up to it's specs. This might be a good fit for a Jetbeam light also.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam looks interesting; thanks. As far as testing for true 365nm output, I have a dichroic bandpass filter for 365nm. It attenuates everything above and below that wavelength. When I added one to my 365nm Nichia UV LED flashlight, it blocked all of the visible light with only minor insertion loss at the desired wavelength, so I know that chip is living up to it's specs. This might be a good fit for a Jetbeam light also.

But, but how do you know it's on, if there's no visible light?

colight

Enlightened
Some already mentioned the Fenix LD02 V2.0 above, and as it is Fenix announced another UV light yesterday, the LD05 V2.0. Both are UV lights, but the LD02 is only 70 lumens, while the LD05 is 100 lumens, both with warm white LEDs. BRAVO for the warm white, Fenix!

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
While it's an 18650 light instead of AA or AAA, I'm quite satisfied and impressed with the quality and performance of the Convoy S2+ Nichia 365nm UV light that I picked up. (Yes, its of Chinese origin, but it delivers.) Got it off of Banggood along with the 365nm UV glass cut filter that they also sell as an accessory item for it. (Really easy to swap the lens out using a small pair of needle nose pliers to simply unscrew the head assembly and swap the glass lens with the filter.

The total package ran less than $30 shipped and the output for a UV light is fantastic. You can also find this at other sites like aliexpress, gearbest or even via Amazon and Newegg, but for a bit more. I have lots of other 18650 lights, so batteries aren't an issue and I much prefer 18650 as a power source for this as they last a heck of a lot longer than a AA or AAA powered light. With the 365nm cut filter installed, the output is spot on at that wavelength and again, can't stress enough how good the throw and overall UV output performance is coming from this particular light, especially given its price. With its 3W Nichia emitter, it has substantially more output then the jetbeam Jet UV, but you have to go with a 18650 power source instead. It really is a nice little UV thrower.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
While it's an 18650 light instead of AA or AAA, I'm quite satisfied and impressed with the quality and performance of the Convoy

I think all the Convoy lights are a fantastic bargain for the features you get with any of them. They are often overlooked.

jetbeam Jet UV is very nice. Thanks

Well... there you have it. CPF members satisfy another happy customer. Good call, chillinn, and nice work CPF!