What I just converted.

napalm-2002

Enlightened
hey dude,
go to www.whiteleds.net
i have bought many a led off him.he allways ships fast and is reliable.he sells those nichia 5600mcd leds everyone loves.so do i.i would order at least 30.once you start its hard to stop.there only 1.75 each.
smile.gif

happy converting!

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I know about that site. That is where I am/was going to be ordering from. Thing is, I need some yellow because of the lower required voltage. I want to convert my 2AA, but dont want to have to use N cells all the time in it. I sure will not buy 30. My paycheck is under $100 a week. Besides, I am not going to make any conversions over about 5 LEDs, and I only have about 2, maybe 3 flashlights I can convert.

Oh, a question. What is a good switch that is small? I am planning on making a white LED light in a shotgun shell. A 3 AAAA triangle arrangement fits in there perfectly. A LED will also perfectly fit in the primer hole. All I would need to do then would be get or make a switch. Any ideas for one I could use that would not require cutting the shotgun shell? All ideas will be considered.

Thanks,
Spud

--------------------

Give me immorality, or give me death!

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
I went to walmart flashlight shopping a few days ago (darn flashaholism). What I found, and got, were an Energizer ArcWhite, a garrity 4AA, short, stubby little thing with a faceted reflector that claims to be waterproof for about $5, and a 2AA flashlight, not sure what brand, with faceted reflector, and a fold down ring on the tail cap for about $3.50. That price should go down, they are going on clearance because they are not going to use them any more. So, another trip to walmart is in store soon too. Anyway, on with the conversion.

I decided to convert the 2AA right now, and since I have not got around to ordering the white LEDs yet, and wont be able to for about 2 weeks because I am going out of town tomorrow, I went to radioSmuck and got a couple 1600 mcd yellow LEDs. I stuck them in a PR base with a 10 ohm resistor after having messed with several configurations. Unfortunatly, this process broke one of the leads to about 3 mm long. So, I soldered it to the wrapped up leads and resistor lead.

The thing is drawing 75 mA, which is about 37.5 mA per LED. They are rated at 30 mA continuous. Unfortunatly, the small angle beam (12-16 according to the package) does not let the faceting or reflector do anything. So, you get 2 squares of light touching to make a rectangle, that each have a little square dark spot in them. The thing works quite well though. I like it because of it's fairly small size and light weight.

Anybody know how I could get my hands on some 1000+ mcd LEDs that have an angle of about 30? I would prefer to order from a person from the forum here because I am sure most of you are reliable. Besides, businesses have such high shipping costs, the 5 or less I would be getting would not be worth it. Of couse, they may be more than I plan to spend, I dont know. Tell me if you know some sources.

Spud

napalm-2002

Enlightened
go to your local Radio Crap and get a submini momentary switch.they are about 3/8 diam and 11/32 in length.sounds cool to build one in a shotgun shell.i have a few old full brass 12 ga shells may be i'll convert 1 or 2 of em.have fun and just remember allways treat you shot-lite as it was loaded.
grin.gif

later,mike