Updating the LED in a gen5? surefire L1

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
*** edit, added descriptions ***

I made a threaded holder to (wait for it...) hold the middle part of the head. It has three aluminum parts: the lower shroud around the positive/ ground, the middle that holds the LED, and the front that holds the optics in place.

The head came apart with some help from a propane torch, it doesn't require much. This head has the domed optic at the very front, with it's ultra thin gasket where it would meet the metal, a rubber gasket and black plastic spacer ring, and finally the first TIR type optic that initially grabs the LED's output.
dWAI8E.jpg

This is how the ground lead runs into the LED; under the plastic positive cup. This cup has wings that sit into slots in this middle aluminum part.
IQOI6V.jpg

Here you can see the ground ring, and the positive cup. Simple, but they work for the amperages we're working with here.
KLscb1.jpg

Mule test! successful, too
eli4jd.jpg

The 16340 fits nicely without its stickers
To1W94.jpg

aKyPzr.jpg

Glow strip in the head, because I like blue
VnNRmz.jpg

~D

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks WC!

I made a quick beamshot vid.
https://youtu.be/oMmLddOlYrw

As it turns out, the hotspot isn't exactly centered. The stock positive point in the head is a plastic cup, so I tried to drill around it for the wires. I think the wider pocket allowed the LED to shift slightly as the epoxy cured. I've got a plan to sort that out on my next build.

D