Which Malkoff’s?

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 or XM-L2 with MD4? In pictures the XM-L2 MD4 looks huge. Is it big and unwieldy?

Wildcat V6 MD3 or MD4? Same thing. The MD4 body looks disproportionately large in pictures. Does it look silly in person?

Thank You.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with Malkoff flashlights has been that every model is smaller than it appears on the website. They could really post a disclaimer like on your car's side view mirror. Personally, I don't think the MD4 is comically large, although it does have to accommodate two 18650's. The Hound Dog XML with MD4 is a bit too large for jacket pocket carry, but you could sacrifice a little run time and get one with an MD3. That would ride in your coat pocket this winter. For my money, you can't beat the Hound Dog 18650, particularly with the tricap.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HD MD4 isn't too large for me, yes too big for pockets but it is way short of being a club.
I prefer it over the 18650 HD for the extra runtime, but if you want a shorter light there's nothing to beat the 18650.
I (and many others, it seems) feel like 18500 are a bit of a dead end. There's not many over here and there don't seem to be many improvements. So much as I'm attracted to the MD3, I always back off at the last minute. Of course, if you're using primaries it's not relevent.
Here's the two compared, it's actually the same 18650 head on each body as my normal Hound is the ols style.
Both bodies have a SF Z41 tail as I don't do clickies if I have a choice.

MD4.jpg

HD18650.jpg

P

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 18650 HD is currently the biggest light I own. I used to have a thrower which used an extension to be either 1x18650 or 2x18650, but I never ran it with the extender because it was too large and unwieldy. Some folks are fine with the MD4 size but if I had one I'd likely never actually use it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 is not big at all. The head has some diameter to it but I can put it in my coat pocket with no problem. It's a great light as well. Nice throw and good spill.but ya when I ordered it and it came in I was shocked. I was expecting some huge thing but nope. It's kinda small

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a comparison picture, but I think Peter's photos make the point. The MD4 is far from unwieldy, but this is subjective. I do need to make one correction to my earlier post. My HD XML +MD4 fits perfectly well in my coat pocket.

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great responses and pictures. Much appreciated. The longer bodies don't look huge at all.

I think I'm going to get both hound dog models and an md4 for the wildcat. After looking at INFRNL's excellent runtime graphs I think the slight increase in length is worth the increased runtime. Wildcat v6n only 25 mins regulated runtime with md3 vs 60 mins with md4.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to hand comfortability I find MD3 format to be the best. Yes, MD4 provides roughly twice the runtime(using Li-ions) with only slighly longer tube. Therefore I got a bunch of 18500 batteries so I can choose depending on the situation.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog 18650 is the only one which does not fall out of my pocket. Especially when sitting in a vehicle. MD3/MD4 Hound Dog fall out of the pocket onto the seat.