any real advantage between Copper or Brass? Maratac AAA other than looks

sceva

Newly Enlightened
Hi all;

Decided I needed another light. I decided wanted a Maratac AAA and was back and forth a lot between the brass and the copper version. on Countycom's site Brass is listed as Rev 4 and uses the 219C emitter? The Copper is listed as Rev 5 and says latest 219. Specs appear to be identical between them.

Up front I'll say, I went with the Brass. If all other things are pretty much equal I just like Brass.

I like both Brass and Copper items but I just like nicely aged / patinaed brass a little better. Also, I find brass to have less of an odor.

My questions,
I know that the Copper lights are very popular but Is there a real world advantage in one metal over the other (other than personal preference) I do know that Cu has a higher thermal conductivity but just how important is it in real world use. (This light will not see constant use, It'll go into a jacket pocket or carry on bag for as needed)

Are the two lights actually pretty much identical except for the case material?

Thanks

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have quite a few lights with one each in brass & copper. On AAA & AA lights I cannot appreciate any difference in real world applications. In 18650 lights, I think there is a slight advantage to copper. I have to say that I have not done SAR since lights went a couple hundred Lumens to thousands of Lumens so I will watch this thread with interest to see the response. (In other words, I have no reason to keep a light in a "turbo" mode for long periods of time). In reality 90% of my lighting is accomplished by ML or low. I still have a lot of lights that have high power capabilities, I just use them rarely...Specific to Maratac, I have most versions of all their lights in both copper & bronze, AAA, AA, & CR123A, as well as aluminum, stainless & titanium-in reality I pair them with a brass, copper or stainless embassy pen most the time as coordinating dress accessories (confessions of a flashaholic)....

SNES

Newly Enlightened
The current brass model with the 219c is a touch warmer than the copper. After having both and comparing them, I sold the copper version.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper has natural germ killing abilities, as does brass. Copper is also highly thermally conductive, which might not be as important in a AAA light and will feel colder during colder months. Both are softer metals which are pretty well known for making threads really smooth.

I have never owned a copper or brass light, I'm just going by what I have read.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which batteries to use? Std AAA alkalines or Energizer ultimate Lithium

Congrats on your new Brass AAA Maratac
the difference in body metal is just personal preference

You may also enjoy a Brass Tool.. fwiw, the heads are interchangeable with Maratac AAA lights

All my Maratacs and Tools are Copper, Im very picky and when I learned Brass contains Lead, I chose to avoid it. Even though I had a brass key I really liked, I took it off my keyring.

Alkalines can leak, not recommended.
Ultimate Lithium are much better, though more expensive.
I prefer rechargeable Eneloops.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass contains extremely low traces of lead. If anyone was going to die from exposure to lead it would be me. I've loaded thousands of rounds of ammo and melted down lead shot for various weights. I've had my lead levels checked several times and never even been close to any high levels. Carrying a sealed brass flashlight won't hurt you. Don't let that keep you from enjoying a pretty metal

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
the advantage of copper is greater heat-conductivity. the advantage of brass is that it is harder.

Copper conducts heat a lot better than stainless or titanium, and a bit better than aluminum. And a bit better than brass. But not a huge amount. With an AAA light, the difference in conductivity will never make a difference.

Hardness, though--that copper will dent and nick and scratch a lot easier than brass.

If you're designing the backing plate for an LED mount that is carrying 10 watts of power, you want copper to heat-sink it, and brass would be inferior.

But for an AAA light that is never going to move that much current or get that hot, brass is just as good.

And for a pocket-carry light that *is* going to get into fights with your keys, pens, pocketknives and whatever else is in your pocket? I would definitely take the brass.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
On a twisty AAA flashlight, both copper and brass will feel super smooth when twisting the threads. The brass will probably feel smoother than the copper, and on a light that sees a lot of use, the brass threads will last longer than copper.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass contains extremely low traces of lead. If anyone was going to die from exposure to lead it would be me. ...Carrying a sealed brass flashlight won't hurt you. Don't let that keep you from enjoying a pretty metal

true, but the lead accumulates on the surface due to machining
otoh, I used to hold lead pellets in my mouth, and I grew up in a house with lead water pipes
and I dont have brain damage either, do I? LOL!

fwiw, afaik the Maratac and Tool red metal lights are not sealed, that is why some people can smell the germicidal effect on their hands

enjoy whatever makes you happy, copper, brass, CRI, tint, Color Temperature, heat conductivity, ductility, hardness, weight, size... thats all trivia in the grand scheme of things.. use whatever light brings a smile to your face

Merry Holy Days!

sceva

Newly Enlightened
I've got to say that you folks that contributed to the OP's post are awesome. Bill

A++++++ to that.

I really appreciate all the responses. I totally understand the following copper has and I like it too. I just like brass a little better. I picked up a pack of Energizer Lithium AAA's for it.