SF Nitrolon?

stockae92

Enlightened
how good is nitrolon in taking a beating?

or better off getting the aluminium ones?

thanks

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I have 2 G2's in olive drab and black and have carried them off and on for about a year now and they still look practically new. I've carried the black one the most and aside from some small scuff marks on the bezel, you'd think it was just purchased. The good think about the G2 Nitrolon is that it doesn't show wear as much as aluminum does and it doesn't feel cold to the touch during winter. It's the least expensive of all Surefire lights, but by no means cheap in quality. It's a fantastic light if you're on a tight budget.

Naturally, the aluminum ones are more expensive, but most are available in type III hard anodize finish, have lockout tailcaps, Lexan lenses and are pretty much indestructible. I prefer aluminum Surefires, but it all depends on what you're looking for in a flashlight. Is it going to be your EDC or just a backup light? If it's going to spend most of it's time in your glove compartment or toolbox, then the G2 would make a good buy. If you want a Surefire light to carry everyday and use often, perhaps an E1e or E2e with a KL1 LED module would fit the bill.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2 is one of the first high priced ones and still looks new. My G2Z is in mint condition. I abuse them pretty well.
My Z3 is a month old and has scratches. I would stick with the Nitrolon for long term cosmetics.

K-T

*Moderator*
You might want to do a search for one of the first threads on the G2Z where Al posted some of his G2Z, that light can take some serious beating without looking ugly.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nitrolon is great stuff. I have a significant respect for the G2Z and G2 as well as 8NX in terms of durability.

If you want some photos of my "abused" Nitrolon SureFires, please email me.

Al

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Stockae92,

Welcome to CPF.

The only negative thing I have heard about Nitrolon was when someone used a yellow light while working on their car. The oil and grease were difficult to remove from the finish. I never did hear the ending.

I would suggest avoid yellow while playing with grease, and probably green as well.

Tom

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stockae92,

Same thing everyone else said. I keep reaching for my black G2 instead of the aluminum Surefires because it's tough as a Rhino's hide.

I love the aluminum bodied lights, but am squeamish about getting 'em dinged and scratched, which even the HA III can do. The black nitrolon just shrugs it all off. A real workhorse.

Britt

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Let me add yet another testimonial for Nitrolon.

I kept a StingerHP Aluminum light on the hump of my truck for several months. I barely used it, and couldn't EVEN understand how it got the scratches it did.

I carried a G2 on my belt for awhile. I have used it to work on a truck, as well as many other uses.

It looks like new.

Also, G2 never gets too hot nor too cold. It is always comfortable.

Since I carry on my belt, I see no reason to get a smaller light like an E2. I would like a bright LED light about G2 size... but I have a KL3 LED head that makes the light TOO big.

I compromise now and carry a Streamlight Twin Task 2L. It is modified with a Kroll at the tail. Yes, it's aluminum. But I can live with that!

DimBeam

Enlightened
Any flashlight where the replacement bulb is HALF the cost of the entire flashlight is not worth it. Are Surefire's xenon bulbs three times as good as Streamlight for example? For 13 bucks more you can get a TL-2 with the same performance,solid Aluminum construction, and a spare bulb. The replacement bulbs are aprox. $4.50 each. To buy 1 Surefire bulb you would spend 16 bucks which is half the price of a new Nitrolon.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DimBeam said:
...>To buy 1 Surefire bulb you would spend 16 bucks which is half the price of a new Nitrolon<...

[/ QUOTE ]

And darn well worth it!

I have been EDC a G2-bk for over a year now. I dont abuse it, but I dont baby it either.
It is a work light, and I make it work. I have to change batteries about once a week, sometimes longer. I am still on the ORIGINAL P60 lamp that came with it.
I have installed an Ozark clickie mod and a B270 lens.
IMHO you cant go wrong with this light. I own 8 of them.

I have to admit tho, I am trying to fit an LED in there...

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's Lamp Assemblies are proven reliable and with a long lifespan. They are fixed focused and the bulb can not fall out or easily be defocused like it can in other brands.

The G2 is perhaps the most simple host for the SureFire Lamp Assembly and batteries. The value of a SureFire is greater than the sum of it's parts - the quality of Nitrolon means that you are getting a lot for what's left after you take of the cost of the P60 and two SF123As.

I don't think people would like it if SureFire put the price of the G2 up so the Lamp Assembly was less of a significant part of the cost of the G2!!

If we compare Nitrolon SureFires to Aluminium SureFires as asked by stockae92, I think we'll show that the Nitrolon has a proven user durability and reliability advantage as well as been less expensive.

Al

Techmedic

Enlightened
Hey Alphatea,

Any problems with the G2 coming on accidentally? I know it does not have a LOTC but what is your experience?
If I was to EDC a G2 it would go into my coat pocket, as a work light. (A SL Scorpion is my current ECD, but it is tricky to get out of the pocket) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Your experienced-based comments are welcomed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
With the Ozark Clickie mod, I would never worry too much about accidently activation. It takes a firm press to activate.

I had mine with a Kroll classic and found if I sneezed wrong it would activate the momentary.

The Ozark clickie makes it a MUCH MUCH better light (for about 7 bucks!).

stockae92

Enlightened
thanks guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

how's the performance of G2 compare to Streamlight Twin Task 2L?

i heard that dropping the SF *could* destory the bulb?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Problems...well, eh, yea on occasion it has been known to come on 'accidentally'
I carry it in a RipOffs CO-73 with a Leatherman Wave, so it is carried bezel up. I have to be carefull sitting in chairs with arms so as not to turn it on when sitting.
This is a rare occurance tho.
It used to have a Kroll clickie I got from Wayne (Dat2Zip) at the Sandwich Shoppe. While it is a fine piece of engineering, I did not care for the momentary feature. I wanted either ON or OFF.

I think you would probably have the same trouble getting a G2 out of your pocket as a Scorpion (they are almost identical in size)

Techmedic

Enlightened
Alphatea,

Ahh, bezel up. Good point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
The Scorp' has a rubber sheath around its' body and tends to grab the pocket material. The G2 even being the same size would still be easier to get out of the pocket. I did presume with the non-LOTC it could come on inadvertently.

Stockae92, suggest you search. There has been plently of info on the comparisons. Same mfg but different creatures. Dropping any incand light is a risk to the bulb. (lanyard anyone?)

Thanks!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
Techmedic said:
Hey Alphatea,

Any problems with the G2 coming on accidentally? I know it does not have a LOTC but what is your experience?
If I was to EDC a G2 it would go into my coat pocket, as a work light. (A SL Scorpion is my current ECD, but it is tricky to get out of the pocket) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Your experienced-based comments are welcomed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I bought my first G2, the P60 lamp died on me in matter of 3 days from carrying the light in one of Surefire's V21 sheaths. As the G2 doesn't have a lockout tailcap, it would come on accidentally if I sat down or leaned against the light. I've sinced modified the tailcaps with Ozark Trail/Garrity clickie switches and carry them bezel down in a Spec-Ops Brand flashlight pouch and I haven't had a problem. For me, the G2 is a great light for the money.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have a V20 sheath(same just different belt loop) for my G2 and I haven't had any problems with my G2 coming on inadvertantly. I have been EDC'ing this setup for over 3 months now.

As to how well Nitrolon holds up... no complaints here. I'm very pleased with it and like the rest of my tools, it sees hard use on a daily basis.

--Jason

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I HAD a G2 with a P61 in it.
Last year the power was out for a couple of days. The wife took one of the G2's(P61) to the bathroom. Once she got there, she sat the light bezel down on the counter and didn't turn it off. Several minutes later as she came back to the living room I noticed the beam looking kind of odd.
Anyway, the lens melted and deformed a bit. The Nitrolon itself was fine.
After that I stopped using it and forgot about it. Then FlashlightLens mentioned that he had B270 glass lenses that would fit so I fixed it.
The diff in light output between a P60 and a P61 is not enough (IMHO) to overcome the loss in runtime, 60 min vs 20 min.