Radio Shack LED Booklight (Catalog #: 63-1142)

JJHitt

Enlightened
New item on their webpage: Rechargeable LED Booklight
Price 19.99

Stopped by my local store to check it out and left without buying it.

Pluses: two SMD leds used instead of 5mm leds. I think SMD diodes tend give a nicer wash of light and prefer them for a number of applications.
The battery pack is very small and compact.

Minuses: the switching mechanism (which is activated by extending the arm with the LEDS) causes the light to flicker when moved. This light would be no good for reading on a moving vehicle. Also, while the battery pack has a very solid substantial feel to it, the arm with the LEDs seems downright flimsy.

General impresion: yet another good idea poorly executed.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll be headed to my local Radio Shack in about two hours, and I'll see if they have it, and if I can check it out.
Maybe I'll even buy it, for CPF sakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I'm back (1:59pm PST), and I bought one, for CPF sakes of course. They did not have a demo model set out, so I could not try it beforehand. So I just said the heck with it and bought one.

It comes with a "wall wart" charging transformer, a "U"-shaped charging cradle, and the book light itself.

According to the package, each charge provides 2-3 hours of continuous use, and it uses NiCd batteries.

More later, as I unpack it, charge it up, and try it.

NightShift

Enlightened
wow, my company is in the process of making their next booklight with SMDs and rechargeablility too.. im the one who tests the SMDs for the product.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
book11.jpg

Here's a picture of the book light and charging cradle.

book12.jpg

And here's one showing the booklight in the hand to help guage its size.

book13.jpg

And here's one showing the book light doing what it does best: lighting an 8.5" by 11" page of my Holiday Creations folio.

The book light is about the size of a 3.5" floppy diskette and perhaps the thickness of two diskettes maximum (7mm) for the front half of its body and 1 1/2 diskettes thickness (4.5mm) for the other half.

The light does not flicker when the arm is extended and bent forward (via its hinge) to position itself over the page. It flickers when the arm is first extended and is still straight, and the LEDs are aimed up toward you. But the flickering is no longer a problem or an issue when the arm is bent or pivoted on its hinge forwards (towards the book).

The book light appears to clip onto the book's rear cover, so you don't have to {vulgar term for intercourse} with it every time you want to turn the page.

Better get started on the web page for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif