5W replacement?

ianb

Enlightened
After reading the post about LED longevity, if I was going to invest in something as nice as a surefire L6. Would I be able to replace the LED after it's 500 or so hours of life, or would it require replacement of the head KL6? (ouch!)
I know 500 hours is a long burn time compared to incandescent but they're comparatively cheap and easy to change.
I have my heart set on the L6 but hadn't realised the burn time and had assumed it was the same as lesser LED's more like 10 000hrs,

any advice much appreciated, Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ian,

Welcome to CPF.

If you have ever taken the notion to monitor you flashlight usage, you will find that 500 hours is a real long time. You must also remember that you will probably end up with more than one light, so there may be times when you are not using the light at all.

You must also remember that next years lights will be better, brighter, and difficult to avoid.

Another consideration is that at the end of 500 hours, the LED does not die like a bulb. The 500 hours is to 75% of full brightness. Still lots of life left, just a bit dimmer.

With that said, I ended up with a Hyper Lux V. The cost of replacing the LED in it is $35 + shipping.

Choices...

Tom

ianb

Enlightened
Thanks, silverfox, it certainly houses a wealth of flashlight knowledge these forums!
I realise that I do have a few flashlights already, but when you read claims for multi LED flashlights that say 100 000 hrs, I suddenly thought 500 sounded small.
Also I like the look of the surefire but haven't spent so much money on a single torch before(just don't tell the missus 'How Much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif')

thanks for the information, Ian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my L6, and i must say, its the easiest Surefire LED bezel to get into. 3 small phillips screws is all you need to undo to get at the luxeon should you ever need to replace it.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Lets see...
The L6 runs for 90 minutes (1.5hrs) on 3 123A's
500 hrs/1.5hrs = 333.3 battery changes
333.3 X 3 batts = 1000 123A's
1000 123A's X $1ea (if you look around) = $1000 (yowza! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif)
If you use it for 1hr/day, 5 days a week, it will take you about 2 years to get 500 hrs on it.
By then it will probably be ready for retirement because the new mega whammodyne, dilithium moderated, phase shifted, telepathicly controlled, thermo-nuclear supernova bright, cold fusion powered, atto-meter sized (very small) light will be selling for $3.97 at your local Wal-Mart.

Basically, I wouldnt sweat the 500 hour life of the LED...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello AlphaTea,

You must consider that with the rechargeable Pila batteries, the 5 watt lights may see more than average use.

The ability to replace the 5 watt LED is a big advantage in my mind.

Tom

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Being able to replace the 5W LED is definetly a big advantage if it should need to be replaced (ie broken).
But, like you originally said "500 hours is a real long time..." I was just figuring that the flashlight itself would probably be worn out after 500 hrs of use, and by then something better and cheaper will have come along making the whole point moot.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlphaTea, this is completely off topic but, "yowza", did you get that where I think you got that?
From a certain Jan the man? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Yowza! was a pretty common term many years ago when I was in the US Navy. It was generally taken to mean the same as Holy <Feces>! or Golly Gee! or WOW!
Sorry, Jan who?
I have been called DAN the man a few times LOL

ianb

Enlightened
thanks for all the replys all!

I guess 500 hrs is probably more than it will get used, but you know, its good to have the means to replace the LED. The amount it costs I don't think it will ever be able to retire though!

thanks ian