Looking for usb charge 18650 power bank for bicycle headlight

dgnuff

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here, so my apologies if it's in the wrong section. That said, I'm trying to find a power bank for the headlight system I'm planning to get for my bicycle. I have a set of 6 18650 cells that currently live in a USB power bank I use to charge my smartphone. If possible I'd like to get something that takes all 6 cells that I have, and can itself charge by plugging it into a USB adapter. That way, I can charge it easily without having to swap the cells into the USB power bank.

Can anyone provide recommendations for such a thing, assuming it even exists.

Thanks for any help.

Keitho

Enlightened
It is not exactly a power bank, but it would allow you to use any lithium ion cell as a power bank, and is also a cell charger: Fomolov A1. Finding a light that will take "any" 18650 cells narrows your choices a little bit, but it isn't impossible (search the Bicycle section of the forum). The Fomolov isn't a quick-charge option (1A max); and, it is a little fiddly (can't plug it in and throw it into the bottom of the bag, because the contacts will come off the cell); but, it is super-lightweight. I usually have multiple 18650's with me in lights on my bike, and keep the nearly-weightless A1 in my bag as a backup power bank in case I need a few Wh for my phone or GPS.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a lot of research when I bought my last powwerbank as I wanted to have removeable cells as well. I ended up with an Anker 20000mah Elite which doesn't have removeable cells. The only thing I've found is the Xtar PB2 which only takes 2 x 18650s and has a USB output as well as Input, I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're after.
I've got two of the PB2s and they're excellent.
I wish more manufacturers allowed you to swap the cells in and out. I cannot bear throwing stuff away just because the batteries are knackered.
P

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I did a lot of research when I bought my last powwerbank as I wanted to have removeable cells as well. I ended up with an Anker 20000mah Elite which doesn't have removeable cells. The only thing I've found is the Xtar PB2 which only takes 2 x 18650s and has a USB output as well as Input, I don't know if that's the sort of thing you're after.
I've got two of the PB2s and they're excellent.
I wish more manufacturers allowed you to swap the cells in and out. I cannot bear throwing stuff away just because the batteries are knackered.
P
I feel the same way I wish I had a battery welder. I do have a lot of cheap Chinese Ebay power banks that you can swap in/out cells but they aren't high output high quality ones that can keep up with todays thirsty phones that is why I also have 2 Anker power banks I picked up cheap.
Awhile back I saw a 4 cell kit for bike lights that did 2P2S and had a USB output but the kit had a serious design flaw in that the circuitry was poorly designed and drained the batteries quickly when idle. Someone did post a hack that got around the issue also how to mod the wiring and contacts. Essentially as is the pack was operable but nowhere near optimal in that if you leaved the batteries in it they would end up drained in a short time.

Last edited: