Help! Broke UV LED when trying to modify the flashlight.

Krane

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to remove the stupid plastic dome that was on top of LED, that dome was loosely held with some wet silicone, and was very scratched up and blurry so i decided to carefully remove it, however after removing the LED is not working anymore.

Is this common? any ways I could troubleshoot? the dome thats remaining is jelly like, so i am suspecting i destroyed the LED by removing that plastic crap, any ideas? :(((((

9dicpEv.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Judging from the cracked material that I see directly below the gold bond wires, I'm guessing that one or both of those wires has become dislodged or broken. Unless you're really good with microsoldering, you might need to write this off as a learning experience. I've made a few mistakes like this and it sucks.

pc_light

Enlightened
What PhotoWrangler said, bond wired probably broken.

The good news is that you should be able to replace the defective Cree with with a new UV emitter and be back in business. Will require de-soldering the wires from old star and soldering to a new PCB with UV emitter. LG and Nichia make excellent quality UV emitters.

Krane

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies guys, yeah you were right, after i moved the jelly a bit more it came off entirely with those gold wires completely breaking off... I have desoldered the LED and replaced it with a scavenged similar design (domed) yellowish LED, so i turned it into a very short living white flashlight.. definitely a learning experience

Really wanted a 365nm UV light, but everything that I find is 3W garbage, maybe I should get one of those 1AA zoomable ones, eh will see.